House Price Crash Forum

Coventry

Alfie Moon

HOLA441

Anyone know what is happening with the Coventry property market? Last night, on the local news, I saw that there was a march in Coventry (only a few hundred people I think) protesting about thousands of jobs being lost/due to be lost in the area. I certainly know that the car industry has been hit hard in the last year or so, but the person interviewed said that it is not only the car industry that is suffering and that large numbers of jobs were being lost right across the private and public sectors (apparently there has been virtually zilch media attention about this, up till last night). I suspect house prices may fall fairly dramatically in Coventry and indeed the rest of the West Midlands (as is already supported with the latest LR stats which show the West Country and West Midlands performing the worst (the best for us HPC'ers!!) in terms of house prices.

I'm interested as I'm thinking about renting in Coventry. Currently I rent a place in a large City at a ridiculously low price per month. This has helped considerably with my saving a deposit for buying a house but I now need more space than I've currently got. I will probably get more for my money in Coventry than I can in B'ham. I can then commute quite easily (obviously I will have to weigh up the costs).

Anyone know which areas are ok/good for living in Coventry? Which areas are an absolute must for avoiding? If I like it there (I don't particularly anticipate this, but you never know) I might consider buying in Coventry in 18 - 24 months time. Any info, tips or advice would be gratefully received.

Edited by Alfie Moon

HOLA442

Anyone know what is happening with the Coventry property market? Last night, on the local news, I saw that there was a march in Coventry (only a few hundred people I think) protesting about thousands of jobs being lost/due to be lost in the area. I certainly know that the car industry has been hit hard in the last year or so, but the person interviewed said that it is not only the car industry that is suffering and that large numbers of jobs were being lost right across the private and public sectors (apparently there has been virtually zilch media attention about this, up till last night). I suspect house prices may fall fairly dramatically in Coventry and indeed the rest of the West Midlands (as is already supported with the latest LR stats which show the West Country and West Midlands performing the worst (the best for us HPC'ers!!) in terms of house prices.

I'm interested as I'm thinking about renting in Coventry. Currently I rent a place in a large City at a ridiculously low price per month. This has helped considerably with my saving a deposit for buying a house but I now need more space than I've currently got. I will probably get more for my money in Coventry than I can in B'ham. I can then commute quite easily (obviously I will have to weigh up the costs).

Anyone know which areas are ok/good for living in Coventry? Which areas are an absolute must for avoiding? If I like it there (I don't particularly anticipate this, but you never know) I might consider buying in Coventry in 18 - 24 months time. Any info, tips or advice would be gratefully received.

Coventry had its economic heart ripped out of it in the 1970s and 80s, with the collapse of the car industry. It has not succeeded in regenerating to anything like the extent that Birmingham seems to have done - though how robust that is remains to be seen. The most attractive areas, mostly standard suburbs, are on the south of the city - Finham, Cheylsmore and Stivichall. I certainly would not buy at the moment. It's the same picture as the rest of the W. Midlands with loads of properties on the mkt and the only ones selling at lowered prices. Renting seems pretty easy, especially if you are not competing with the large student population by going for good quality houses. Since you live failry close by I would visit the many letting agents who seem to cluster together in the city centre, around Grey Friar's Green.

HOLA443
  • 2 months later...
HOLA444