House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Hpc Members Meet Up

OK, I tried to organise this before, but got waylaid thanks to some family emergencies and other things. Lets see if we can get this going:

I've had a word with the proposed venue, which is a lovely looking hotel with a large lounge, restaurant and accomodation.

It's a nice area. The train station is less than ten minutes walk from the venue which is very easy to find. The last train appears to leave at around 23:15 on weeknights and is on the line to Waterloo. Parking is available on site.

If enough people say they will attend then I'll have a word with the venue and see if the nightly prices (circa £69) can be brought down based on numbers so if you want to stay over enabling you to simply stagger upstairs afterwards.

Other accomodation is available in the town (walking distance, just metres) from around £30/night. I can and will help you with sorting this out. Plenty of places to eat including at the venue. Booking unlikely to be needed for that though again if we end up with a large party (unlikely I'll admit) perhaps I can ask about a "deal".

If you're not local, but wanted to make more of the trip, for instance, you wanted to combine it with a camping trip, going to see Jane Austen's house, a bird sanctuary/zoo (the feathered variety), seeing some lovely woodland including birdwatching (we have for instance buzzards, kites, Dartford Warblers and the like), or a great trip on a lovely old steam train line let me know, these are all fairly local options.

If I sound cagey about the location, there's a reason why - I'll only provide it to people genuinely interested via PM. (If, based on this, you think you've worked out the venue, please don't post it)

If you're interested send me a PM and let me know what day suits best - whether a weeknight or weekend and give some ideas of dates which suit you/those you won't be able to do.

I doubt everyone will be able to get their first choices, but I'll try and fit this to suit most.

And no, to pre-empt a few questions from last time I posited this - I am not a nutcase, I do not have a gun, I have been a member for a fair while (and may possibly be the only one whose avatar actually looks like the person, so you'll recognise me) and this isn't a trap :)

Would be great to see some of the HPC massive in person.

If you've PM'd me before, can you message me anyway and let me know.

As this comes together I'll keep those who were/are interested updated via the thread and PMs and if you have any special requirements let me know - I'd rather you did that than simply not come. I won't be sharing anything you tell me with anyone else.

Looking forward to meeting some great people from here.

So, is that near Froyle then?

Yes, it's fairly near to Froyle. It's on the border between Hampshire and Surrey.

Im in...

course, if that puts others off, I am happy to stand down :rolleyes:

I am limited at the mo due to my recent road accident.

It would probably take most of my saved deposit to get there. Have you personally invited Bruno?

(giggles) no.

He's probably "gone away" (maybe, on several levels)

For the benefit of newer members, a previous member called Bruno threatened to turn up at a meeting and gun everyone down.

Nothing actually happened. Although he did get arrested for that threat. It's just faintly possible that there's a small degree of bitterness on his part about that.

Since the venue is not one where there will be thousands of other people present so we could all 'blend into the crowd and nobody would know' as it were, it's probably best to have some degree of caution about the communication of venue and date.

Have had a few PMs already... I'm going to try and address them all at once, so a little time might elapse before you get a reply, but I promise I won't forget you :)

I suggest we all dress up as Estate Agents....just to make TMT extra welcome.

I could be up for this.

I vote no-one reveals who they are and we all try to guess the internet names.

Apart from the girl on crutches, who will be Bloo Loo.

Q : How many cans of beans do you have in storage ?

+1

PS A meetup sounds like a good idea - I would deffo be looking at staying overnight, there's no way that I would catch the last train to London, 1 hour on the train, cab across London (as too late for tube), then another train... :)

If we're struggling to raise the cash I could turn up and take my bra off for a fiver.

I'll give you a tenner to keep it on.

I haven't spoken to Kerry for some years. However, I'm sure that she would take her clothes off for us, for around £25.

At the risk of repeating myself, I'll pay £30 if she agrees to not take them off! It would put me off my pint :)

When I spoke to her she repeatedly referred to her "looks". She is genuinely under the impression that she's gorgeous. Personally, I think she's got a face like a smashed crab.

As she's from Warrington, that makes her, locally speaking, a stunner.

I have an update on that. We were out in soho on Wednesday. Let's just say that I found myself in a place called "tranny shack" surrounded by men in sequins. I was at the back drinking bitter. I just looked like a voyeuristic man with a penchant for transvestites.

It was an eye opener.

Was it good bitter?

I bet it was an eye opener, are you going again?

When I spoke to her she repeatedly referred to her "looks". She is genuinely under the impression that she's gorgeous. Personally, I think she's got a face like a smashed crab.

you dont look at the mantlepiece when you are stoking the fire.