House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yellerkat

Bit Quiet Tonight So Here's...

Brilliant.

Exactly what the web was created for.

If the world does ever suffer a catastrophic economic and social meltdown it could be centuries before we could build our technology back to a point where this experience is possible.

Scary thought.

Ah but is the cat on a covert Govt sanctioned mission? If there are traces of duck DNA on that Roomba, then something is amiss. And who was there ready with a camera to film the event?

I say the whole video doesn't feel right. Anyone who disagrees is naive to do so.

Ah but is the cat on a covert Govt sanctioned mission? If there are traces of duck DNA on that Roomba, then something is amiss. And who was there ready with a camera to film the event?

I say the whole video doesn't feel right. Anyone who disagrees is naive to do so.

Agreed. Definitely a lizard under that costume masquerading as a cat.

Oldest trick in the book.

Roombas cost more time in maintenance than they save in not having to push a hoover around.

My fiancee has one. After more or less every floor-cleaning cycle, you have to empty the crud container, remove two brushes and a roller (screwdriver needed), and get the crap out of one of the brushes with the aid of a Stanley knife.

They're a fun toy and dinner party talking point, but they have no meaningful practical purpose.

If the world does ever suffer a catastrophic economic and social meltdown it could be centuries before we could build our technology back to a point where this experience is possible.

Scary thought.

:lol:

Scary thought.

Human society has broken down and built itself back up innumerable times throughout history and yet we are living in the only age when anybody has been able to see a cat in a shark suit riding a roomba chasing a duck. All of us alive today are truly blessed.

Roombas cost more time in maintenance than they save in not having to push a hoover around.

My fiancee has one. After more or less every floor-cleaning cycle, you have to empty the crud container, remove two brushes and a roller (screwdriver needed), and get the crap out of one of the brushes with the aid of a Stanley knife.

They're a fun toy and dinner party talking point, but they have no meaningful practical purpose.

agree - I had one. Used to leave it running when I went out, but still had the brush cleaning hassle....

a maid is much easier....

I have had one for about two years.

I clean it once a week.

There is only one brush and one roller, neither needs a screwdriver.

If the brush needs de-hairing, there is a gadget that you slide the brush through once and it removes the hair.

I find it excellent.

Human society has broken down and built itself back up innumerable times throughout history and yet we are living in the only age when anybody has been able to see a cat in a shark suit riding a roomba chasing a duck. All of us alive today are truly blessed.

In fact I was thinking about Nugget's comment this morning. Even after society collapses we would have records of what had been done before including the knowledge of how it was done.

It was sixteen years between the first recorded manned flight and the first non stop flight across the Atlantic. Even today, there are practical working aircraft in production that could have been produced with the technology available when the Wrights were boys.

We know how to build computers at the logical level. I mean a LOT of people know. Again, thermionic valves could be produced using 19th century technology, in fact probably tech from an earlier age. Germanium diodes were used pretty early on in radios so if we think of the production of a transistor as an evolutionary development of that of the diode I suspect that transistors would not take too long. So computers for science, engineering etc. pretty soon.

Medicine, an awful lot of the improvements in health since the nineteenth century are due to knowledge of how to avoid disease rather than the spectacular things like organ transplants. We know that keeping clean and eating a healthy diet are important. Likewise we know that disposal of sewage and a supply of clean water is essential for a healthy society. Basic anesthesia and antiseptics simple. Antibiotics a bit more difficult but still comparatively easy if you know what can be done and how it was done before.

Agreed, it might be a while before we could sit in an armchair and watch a cat riding a 'bot vacuum cleaner on a hand held computer but I suspect we might be talking decades rather than centuries after a breakdown, or rather, after the end of the cause of the breakdown,

If some zero growth anti everything no one should have anything of their own type cult or ruler were in charge things would not improve.

Anyway, just ordered by floor cleaning 'bot from Amazon. I'll make progress reports about how it works. Or doesn't.

Funny thing is that although I am into computers and things technical, I have very little in the way of consumer electronics. My last purchase of that type was a TomTom. I do reckon that the TomTom is a brilliant user interface design, And of course thanks to Linus and Ronald and the US taxpayer for the bits behind in interface which make i possible.

I presume the OP found the video by speculatively typing "Cat in a Shark Suit Riding a Roomba and Chasing a Duck" into Google just to see if anything came up.

Everyone does that sort of thing. You mean that you don't?