House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Jobseekers Made To Carry Out Bogus Psychometric Tests

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/apr/30/jobseekers-bogus-psychometric-tests-unemployed

Jobseekers are being made to complete bogus psychometric tests by the Department for Work and Pensions – and told that in some cases they risk losing their benefits if they do not complete the meaningless online questionnaire.

The test called My Strengths, devised by Downing Street's behavioural insights or "nudge" unit, has been exposed by bloggers as a sham with results having no relation to the answers given.

Some of the 48 statements on the DWP test include: "I never go out of my way to visit museums," and: "I have not created anything of beauty in the last year." People are asked to grade their answers from "very much like me" to "very much unlike me".

When those being tested complete the official online questionnaire, they are assigned a set of five positive "strengths" including "love of learning" and "curiosity" and "originality".

Still it gave some web designer a job?

we have had extremely positive feedback from jobseekers

Thats the one reason all these tests are done, "want to ensure that 99% of job applicants walk away with a positive impression of your company (even though you don't offer them a job) - just get them to complete this feel-good Psychometric test as part of the application process."

Of course it may stop working once people realise that its all smoke and mirrors and really the company doesn't care 2c about your feelings.

I think these tests work out if you are a white British male then send you to the scrap heap. Gotta love automation. I imagine the machine beeps and requests cheaper labour?

Your results!

Think about how you can use these strengths in your job search and in your life in general

Try to find a new way to use them then everyday

Strength 1. Curiosity

You are curious about everything. You are always asking questions, and you find all subjects and topics fascinating. You like exploration and discovery.

Strength 2. Love of learning

You love learning new things, whether in a class or on your own. You have always loved school, reading, and museums-anywhere and everywhere there is an opportunity to learn.

Strength 3. Critical Thinking

Thinking things through and examining them from all sides are important aspects of who you are. You do not jump to conclusions, and you rely only on solid evidence to make your decisions. You are able to change your mind.

Strength 4. Originality

Thinking of new ways to do things is a crucial part of who you are. You are never content with doing something the conventional way if a better way is possible.

Strength 5. Social Intelligence

You are aware of the motives and feelings of other people. You know what to do to fit in to different social situations, and you know what to do to put others at ease.

Fill in your email address address below to have your strengths emailed to you. You may want to discuss these with your advisor at your next meeting.

I answered "Neutral" to every question. I found the questions hard to parse and the options to select were meaningless and vacuous. I wonder how many people think "like me" and "unlike me" are kind of Facebook friend buttons?

Edited by erat_forte

A couple of years ago my wife returned home from a job interview as horticultural manager for a newly opening garden centre, part of a garden centre group, a position in which she is very qualified and experienced. when she arrived home she was shellshocked. I asked how the interview went. It turned out that they (the HR team) asked her absolutely no questions at all related to the job, her experience and qualifications, all of her interview was along the lines of this psychometric BS, including "if you were a fruit, what fruit would you be and why?"

She didn't get the job. She was glad that she didn't after the interview questions she was asked. The garden centre opened and 12 months later the entire appointed management team were fired.

I think recruiting methods across the board are all a sham. I posit that a lot of the time the best candidate doesn't even get through to interview stage and that interviewers have absolutely no idea how to identify the best candidate for the job in spite of the fact that they are convinced that they do. It's hit and miss. Recruiting is an industry in itself, HR departments and recruiting agencies need to appear convincing so they have created a mystique around hiring people. They have made themselves 'necessary'.

Can't we just send someone round to the homes of unemployed people who can throw all their stuff on the floor and then order them to "pick it up or lose your benefits"

It will prepare them for typical job interviews with HR these days.

Actually when I say these days in 30 years of work they've been pretty standard fayre at many companies. I remember doing a psychometic test at that Ross Perot bodyshop (whatever they are called) in the mid 80s. Ink blot tests were popular in banks in the 90s as was graphology. They would probably have tried phrenology if it were PC. I've recently done a psychometic test at Logica.

A couple of years ago my wife returned home from a job interview as horticultural manager for a newly opening garden centre, part of a garden centre group, a position in which she is very qualified and experienced. when she arrived home she was shellshocked. I asked how the interview went. It turned out that they (the HR team) asked her absolutely no questions at all related to the job, her experience and qualifications, all of her interview was along the lines of this psychometric BS, including "if you were a fruit, what fruit would you be and why?"

She didn't get the job. She was glad that she didn't after the interview questions she was asked. The garden centre opened and 12 months later the entire appointed management team were fired.

I think recruiting methods across the board are all a sham. I posit that a lot of the time the best candidate doesn't even get through to interview stage and that interviewers have absolutely no idea how to identify the best candidate for the job in spite of the fact that they are convinced that they do. It's hit and miss. Recruiting is an industry in itself, HR departments and recruiting agencies need to appear convincing so they have created a mystique around hiring people. They have made themselves 'necessary'.

Ha ha, that's terrible. I have been interviewing a lot lately and over half of them are terrible. I end up steering and attempting to help them out by interviewing myself.

What I would prefer is that we discuss the job, the interviewer posits potential scenarios that will come up in the role, and I would showcase my approach and solutions, backed up by past experiences/competency if necessary.Easy on both sides and this would really, truthfully show them whether I would fit or not.

It just makes me want to come back with some utterly ludicrous BS - in fact I probably already am as I have not been hired yet.

Yesterday I was interviewed by 3 people all with very different agendas (and not the one person who I would ultimately report to (who didn't show up). So it was like having 3 interviews for different roles at once and being fought over by dogs.

This is a global corporate company and they couldn't even get someone from HR to manage the interview?

Who has a chance in that setting? How on earth are they going to get a good hire out of it?

I might be showing my age now but when I was an apprentice, at a company with over 1000 full time employees then, we had no such thing as this monstrosity known as HR.

We had a personnel department and in that department there was a personnel manager, a personnel officer and the personnel secretary.

Happy days.