House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GloomMonger

Unpaid Council Tax Hits 2.4 Billion Pounds

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/towns-dont-pay-council-tax-111649089.html

The bill for council tax arrears in England has soared to just under £2.4 billion, or £104 per household, new government figures show.

This number include debts which have been allowed to build up over the past 20 years since council tax was introduced.

Eric Pickles, Local Government Secretary, has used the data to attack Labour for not dealing with tax evasion properly.

Is it just me who pays all their taxes?

Liverpool residents owe the highest amount of council tax with a total unpaid bill of £113 million, which works out at around £528 per household on average.

Wow. That's a lot. Quite surprising.

Liverpool residents owe the highest amount of council tax with a total unpaid bill of £113 million, which works out at around £528 per household on average.

I would guess that equates to about a third of the annual council tax.

Given that a third of people probably get their council tax paid by the taxpayer, that means half the actual payers aren't paying?

unfortunately, this is not £2.4bn unpaid of one year's council tax, but rather the cumulative amount outstanding, including the £70 fatuous charge for the magistrate's court, where the magistrate signs off on fines for hundreds of people at once in a 2 minute hearing based on a computer printout from the council. Now a real campaign of non-payment, like the poll tax, that would be exciting. I would join in!

unfortunately, this is not £2.4bn unpaid of one year's council tax, but rather the cumulative amount outstanding, including the £70 fatuous charge for the magistrate's court, where the magistrate signs off on fines for hundreds of people at once in a 2 minute hearing based on a computer printout from the council. Now a real campaign of non-payment, like the poll tax, that would be exciting. I would join in!

I think everyone should ring up their local council and say they are having trouble paying their council tax. I believe they will then put you on a nice interest free repayment plan. Let the government borrow at low rates to pay for this whilst you keep your money. Doesn't even impact your credit rating...

Presumably it is done after housing benefit is applied, I cant believe over 96% of households in Luton pay council tax, 9.6% maybe

Luton Borough Council is celebrating collecting high levels of council tax. Collection rates for 2012/13 were the highest ever at 96.2%.

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2013-04-26/luton-celebrates-high-council-tax-collection/

Lol that's a lot

1367350323[/url]' post='909314877']

Presumably it is done after housing benefit is applied, I cant believe over 96% of households in Luton pay council tax, 9.6% maybe

Luton Borough Council is celebrating collecting high levels of council tax. Collection rates for 2012/13 were the highest ever at 96.2%.

http://www.itv.com/n...tax-collection/

Lol that's 96% of those who are on the electoral register as opposed to the actual population.

Lol that's 96% of those who are on the electoral register as opposed to the actual population.

No, it's 96% of the liable amount - electoral register is a tool (e.g. if 2 people registered to vote, but council tax form says 1 person lives there and they're claiming single person discount, they'll have a knock on the door), but not directly used. Registering to vote doesn't register you for council tax, nor does paying council tax register you to vote.

The £2.4bn quoted is the total amount of arrears, yet to be written off, accumulated since council tax began - the DCLG statistical release from 2011 had it growing at £0.6bn/year (£19.9bn collected out of £20.5bn due), but every year some of the old ones will be written off (for accounting purposes - if it later becomes possible to claim it back, they'll continue to seek to do so)

No, it's 96% of the liable amount - electoral register is a tool (e.g. if 2 people registered to vote, but council tax form says 1 person lives there and they're claiming single person discount, they'll have a knock on the door), but not directly used. Registering to vote doesn't register you for council tax, nor does paying council tax register you to vote.

Well, I've never met anyone in society who would be so concerned about the "right to vote" that they would proactively register for that, even when not registered for the C Tax. As far as I know, if you did a deal, where signing off the voting register got you out of council tax too - there'd be no electorate left!!!!!

Edited by pjw

Well, I've never met anyone in society who would be so concerned about the "right to vote" that they would proactively register for that, even when not registered for the C Tax. As far as I know, if you did a deal, where signing off the voting register got you out of council tax too - there'd be no electorate left!!!!!

I guess we know different people; signing on the electoral roll is the first thing most people I know do when moving in. And, of course, it's a legal requirement to respond to the annual canvass even if you haven't done it as soon as. Council tax usually follows after a few days to weeks at the same time as sorting out bills and accounts. And it's not necessarily the same people who are responsible for them each (especially in a let property - & the various permutations around second homes, registered in multiple places, the old rules on c tax exemptions if empty for certain periods, etc, all have their interactions). Basically, they're completely different systems, so the earlier comment that 'it's 96% of the electoral roll' is simply wrong - it's nothing to do with the roll, although the roll might be used as evidence.

I always wondered who the radio adverts with things like "But I pay my council tax, I'm registered to vote automatically! <BUZZER>" were aimed at - guess there's some here :)

There's all sorts of other things that show you probably live there, even if not registered for council tax (e.g. Bristol have been using bank details to reason that if two people have statements sent there, a single person discount should be examined - obviously a blunt tool).

I guess we know different people; signing on the electoral roll is the first thing most people I know do when moving in. And, of course, it's a legal requirement to respond to the annual canvass even if you haven't done it as soon as. Council tax usually follows after a few days to weeks at the same time as sorting out bills and accounts. And it's not necessarily the same people who are responsible for them each (especially in a let property - & the various permutations around second homes, registered in multiple places, the old rules on c tax exemptions if empty for certain periods, etc, all have their interactions). Basically, they're completely different systems, so the earlier comment that 'it's 96% of the electoral roll' is simply wrong - it's nothing to do with the roll, although the roll might be used as evidence.

I always wondered who the radio adverts with things like "But I pay my council tax, I'm registered to vote automatically! <BUZZER>" were aimed at - guess there's some here :)

There's all sorts of other things that show you probably live there, even if not registered for council tax (e.g. Bristol have been using bank details to reason that if two people have statements sent there, a single person discount should be examined - obviously a blunt tool).

I have absolutely no idea why anyone goes on the electoral roll. It's the world's shittest raffle where the prize is either a government as equally crap as the last one or even worse jury service. A total avoid in my view.