House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R K

Wenger To Psg?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10026250/PSG-confident-of-luring-Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wenger-to-France-this-summer.html

PSG’s most senior figures have been telling members of their circle that Wenger has been persuaded to leave north London after 17 years in charge of Arsenal.

Their least optimistic scenario is that he will move to Paris in the summer of 2014 when his current deal at Arsenal expires. But PSG’s owners have sounded adamant in recent days that they can tempt him to cross the channel 12 months early.

The club’s proprietors, who have spent heavily on the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Javier Pastore and Ezequiel Lavezzi, and who signed David Beckham on a six-month deal in January, have told friends that Wenger is on his way to Paris.

PSG, the coming force in European football, lead Marseille by nine points in Ligue 1 with four games left and can seal their first league title since 1994 this weekend.

Ancelotti is understood to have told PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi last week that he would not be staying in Paris.

Who do you gooners want/expect to replace him?

Not an Arsenal fan but they need someone that can instil a little gutsiness. Arsenal hit a sweet spot when they had foreign flair players alongside British fighters. Once they lost that steel they stopped challenging.

The malaise was summed up in the United game. With a Champions league place still not guaranteed the level of desire and passion just wasn't there.

Not an Arsenal fan but they need someone that can instil a little gutsiness. Arsenal hit a sweet spot when they had foreign flair players alongside British fighters. Once they lost that steel they stopped challenging.

I'm not sure that's true.

The real problem is that financially they're not in the same league as United/City/Chelsea and simply cannot afford to pay for the very best players; in that context 3rd or 4th is about the best they can hope to achieve.

Arsenal's top wage earners are reportedly on £90,000 per week, the others clubs will go up to £150,000 and in city's case some way beyond that. When Mikel Arteta moved to Arsenal from Everton he is reported to have taken a pay cut from £80,000 to £70,000.

The reality is that Arsenal stopped being competetive when Abramovic came onto the scene.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if/when the financial fair play rules come into operation.

I'm not sure that's true.

The real problem is that financially they're not in the same league as United/City/Chelsea and simply cannot afford to pay for the very best players; in that context 3rd or 4th is about the best they can hope to achieve.

Arsenal's top wage earners are reportedly on £90,000 per week, the others clubs will go up to £150,000 and in city's case some way beyond that. When Mikel Arteta moved to Arsenal from Everton he is reported to have taken a pay cut from £80,000 to £70,000.

The reality is that Arsenal stopped being competetive when Abramovic came onto the scene.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if/when the financial fair play rules come into operation.

As an Arsenal fan this is it. They get a lot of flak but the reality is they are where they should be based on wages paid, when you look at a league table wages the club spend it's reasonably well matched with the actual league.

Arsenal tock a decision about 10 years ago to not risk the long term future of the club for short term gain, they decided to built a new stadium which when paid for would put them far above the rest of the league in terms of revenue, however when Abramovich turned up that all went out of the window, then City increase the gap further. They might have been capable of being competitive against United and the rest of the league while paying off the debt had there not been tons of investment in to those two clubs.

Unfortunately clubs are measured in trophies and at the moment Arsenal are nowhere near capable of winning the title.... however neither is anybody else outside of United, City and if they can get their act together Chelsea (won't happen). There are only 4 cups up for grabs (if you are in Europe), every club knows it so with 2 teams with a massive financial advantage (City/Chelsea) and another with an excellent manager (United) then that doesn't leave a lot of room to win something, Europe is also a right off as you have ever more disparity when it comes to the top clubs financially.

The only real argument to be had with regard to Arsenal winning anything is the price the fans pay, but I personally don't think that's relavent in that regard. There is a market and any company should be looking to maximise profits, ignoring the way they count the attendance pretty much every seat is sold game in game out.

-----

As for Wenger, should have gone 3-4 years ago. The brand of football he serves up is brilliant, when he has the players, a mix of injuries and not being able to compete on a wage front has meant that the good stuff has gone from 90% of games in 2004-2006 to 10% this season.

Time for him to go and let somebody else try, they won't win the title but I think there would be a more pragmatic approach which would mean the chances of a cup win would be increased. A few years ago you could forgo the titles as the football was good enough, now the football is substandard we might as well take a different approach.

As for who, would be happy to take a chance on somebody like Moyes, think he deserves a chance at a club with a little more money than Everton.

and Jose to sign Falcao

Falcao? The guy who sang Der Kommissar and Rock me Amadeus?!

Isn't he dead?

It's not a good strategic move to sign dead people IMHO.

As an Arsenal fan this is it. They get a lot of flak but the reality is they are where they should be based on wages paid, when you look at a league table wages the club spend it's reasonably well matched with the actual league.

Arsenal tock a decision about 10 years ago to not risk the long term future of the club for short term gain, they decided to built a new stadium which when paid for would put them far above the rest of the league in terms of revenue, however when Abramovich turned up that all went out of the window, then City increase the gap further. They might have been capable of being competitive against United and the rest of the league while paying off the debt had there not been tons of investment in to those two clubs.

Unfortunately clubs are measured in trophies and at the moment Arsenal are nowhere near capable of winning the title.... however neither is anybody else outside of United, City and if they can get their act together Chelsea (won't happen). There are only 4 cups up for grabs (if you are in Europe), every club knows it so with 2 teams with a massive financial advantage (City/Chelsea) and another with an excellent manager (United) then that doesn't leave a lot of room to win something, Europe is also a right off as you have ever more disparity when it comes to the top clubs financially.

The only real argument to be had with regard to Arsenal winning anything is the price the fans pay, but I personally don't think that's relavent in that regard. There is a market and any company should be looking to maximise profits, ignoring the way they count the attendance pretty much every seat is sold game in game out.

-----

As for Wenger, should have gone 3-4 years ago. The brand of football he serves up is brilliant, when he has the players, a mix of injuries and not being able to compete on a wage front has meant that the good stuff has gone from 90% of games in 2004-2006 to 10% this season.

Time for him to go and let somebody else try, they won't win the title but I think there would be a more pragmatic approach which would mean the chances of a cup win would be increased. A few years ago you could forgo the titles as the football was good enough, now the football is substandard we might as well take a different approach.

As for who, would be happy to take a chance on somebody like Moyes, think he deserves a chance at a club with a little more money than Everton.

The limit for them at the mo seems to be around £95k a week (Theo Walcott I think)..they could fork out more, but they have a lot of dross on mega money (Squillaci £65k a week(ish), Arshavin, Bendtner (I bet they are massively subsidising his wage to Juve....Park, Chamakh, Gervinho, the list goes on)....Too many average players getting undeserved wages...

They can't get rid of these players, as no other team in their right mind wants to take on their wages....Their wage bill is around £140m, whereas Spurs is around £90m..Luckily many of these players will be off in the summer...Cut the crap, and bring in quality....they have to qualify for the champs league first...

Man U will go into somewhat of a spiral when Big Nose retires, thats for sure...

Let's start a rumour Benitez will replace him to wind the Arsenal fans up!

:lol:

At least he's won the Champs League... :)

I reckon he'll stay but if not, then why not look to Monaco again and go for Ranieri? Much as I want Bobby Manc to stay at City for the next 20 years, if he did leave I'd be happy with Ranieri as a replacement; or Antonio Conte, or Frank De Boer.

...I want Bobby Manc to stay at City for the next 20 years...

Just one question: are you a city fan or a united fan? :unsure:

They can't get rid of these players, as no other team in their right mind wants to take on their wages....Their wage bill is around £140m, whereas Spurs is around £90m..Luckily many of these players will be off in the summer...Cut the crap, and bring in quality....they have to qualify for the champs league first...

Man U will go into somewhat of a spiral when Big Nose retires, thats for sure...

Totally agree, thing with Spurs is they are a 5th/6th team at best (have any opinion you like but that's the reality of their position in the last 10 years or so), their first team has top 4 potential but it doesn't go beyond that and that's why the wages are so out of kilter. Don't underestimate the burden when clubs are in the champions league, if there wasn't one then the gap between the top 4 clubs would be bigger.

This is the table for comparison.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/the-premier-league-wage-v-position-table-who-is-over-performing-under-performing/

As I say more or less matched with the league table.

'Scuse me???

Fair enough, but that video is dated July 2012, have opinions changed since then?

Given the amount of money spent and the relative lack of success I can see that United fans might want Manchini to stay for another 20 years.