House Price Crash Forum

House Prices In London Are Rising By £90 A Day But Flat Or Falling In Every Other Major City In The Uk

Investors should be aware that past performance is not necessarily a guide to the future and that the price of shares and other investments, and the income derived from them, may fall as well as rise and the amount realised may be less than the original sum invested.

What comes to mind as I read this is that all TPTB's massive efforts to date to prop up the property market have failed. It is only foreign and funny money flowing into London that is giving the illusion of a static picture nationwide.

Maybe I called my exit from London too early (Feb '12). The people who bought our semi in Epping were doing so with massive BOMAD assistance and I figured if that was the current situation then there really isn't much more room for increase as there's no other avenues left for raising money to buy houses once you've borrowed to the max from banks and family.

Alternatively, the super prime central London skew is making the rest of London look cosy and in actual fact it's not too dissimilar from everywhere else.

What comes to mind as I read this is that all TPTB's massive efforts to date to prop up the property market have failed. It is only foreign and funny money flowing into London that is giving the illusion of a static picture nationwide.

One worrying possibility is that these government props work better in London, where high salaries professional couples can put a deposit together, and afford the mortgage. Plus the foreign buyers.

Still a bubble though. London prices / London earnings are still sky high.

Simple solution:-

Raise rates in London

Cut rates everwhere else

+ raise property/wealth taxes in the Capital.

Easy peasy

Simple solution:-

Raise rates in London

You want to create a carry-trade between London and the rest of the country?

And after all they have done too. Little impact. One wonders how wonderful it would now be here had they not been so irresponsible and simply let nature take its course, just imagine it, affordable housing for the young, an incentive to save, incentive to start businesses, higher standard of living and quality of life, lower crime, happier people. Theyve gone so far they are essentially destroying the economy they claim to be doing it all for, and for what. Idiots.

Quite interesting.

London rises offset falls in the rest of the country. As they throw another log on the burner to try to keep the market going countrywide its going to spike the London market even higher.

The booms gotta end sooner or later, but now we're not talking about money from the UK, we're talking about hot money piling in from outside. There's an awful lot of that ...

In my opinion prices are rising outside London but there are more cheaper properties selling which is causing a drop in the average price on the land registry. Like for Like prices seem to be continuing to rise slightly and asking prices are going through the roof even though the indices are saying otherwise.

In my opinion prices are rising outside London but there are more cheaper properties selling which is causing a drop in the average price on the land registry. Like for Like prices seem to be continuing to rise slightly and asking prices are going through the roof even though the indices are saying otherwise.

I think it varies enormously between different areas. Certainly others would agree with you re: some areas of the South East. Equally, my own experience has seen some significant falls in the North East and parts of Wales.

The Mail not telling the full story? Who'd have thunk it?

You want to create a carry-trade between London and the rest of the country?

There is already a carry trade. Sister in-law has already taken a new job in London and travels up from Hampshire each day. Next door neighbour drives a 3.5 ton lorry up to London each day delivering building materials.

I am tempted to apply for jobs in London for £100K+, but don't like commuting. I can't bear the 4am get ups and and 7-8pm getting back in, I'm too old for that sh4t!

Edited by out2lunch

There is already a carry trade. Sister in-law has already taken a new job in London and travels up from Hampshire each day. Next door neighbour drives a 3.5 ton lorry up to London each day delivering building materials.

I am tempted to apply for jobs in London for £100K+, but don't like commuting. I can't bear the 4am get ups and and 7-8pm getting back in, I'm too old for that sh4t!

There is a word for that 'burnout' people can take high stress in small doses but over time the resulting disadvantages can for many exceed any advantages....the thing is until you actually do wind down you continue to do harm to yourself by working on overdrive oblivious to the damage it is doing. ;)

Another anecdotal. I know someone who bought in a lovely London suburb for 625 in 2010 and now looking to put back on the market for 925! Touched up the garden and kitchen. Not far from the property I know someone who recently bought for seven figures, average size nice family home bought with huge mortgage. No shortage of mugs and muggers in London I'm afraid.

Another anecdotal. I know someone who bought in a lovely London suburb for 625 in 2010 and now looking to put back on the market for 925! Touched up the garden and kitchen. Not far from the property I know someone who recently bought for seven figures, average size nice family home bought with huge mortgage. No shortage of mugs and muggers in London I'm afraid.

...so are they planning to stay living in London?.....that £925k will go towards another property when sold? moving up or down?........doesn't matter how much it goes up if moving up, all goes up relative so will be in effect worse off will require more debt, moving sideways requires more debt....paying down creates wealth, debt free goes a long way towards freedom..... ;)

Absolutely barmy. So London prices are 300-400% above other cities. You only have to go back about 15 years and the difference would've been nearer 30%.

This must be an unsustainable bubble surely. Much of the London population consists of poor immigrants. The property prices are being maintained by housing benefits paid for by taxpayers in the other cities. Next minute we'll have someone saying London is subsidising the rest of the country !

I think it varies enormously between different areas. Certainly others would agree with you re: some areas of the South East. Equally, my own experience has seen some significant falls in the North East and parts of Wales.

The Mail not telling the full story? Who'd have thunk it?

I spent a couple of days in Bath recently. Nice place, lots of tourists around. Walked past "the circus" and "the crescent" roads and loads of big mercs, bmw's expensive 4x4's outside. 5 bed terraced house there up for 1.6 million!

I spent a couple of days in Bath recently. Nice place, lots of tourists around. Walked past "the circus" and "the crescent" roads and loads of big mercs, bmw's expensive 4x4's outside. 5 bed terraced house there up for 1.6 million!

Yep. Always a nice distraction to spend an afternoon in Bath - makes Clifton in Bristol look reasonable ;)

Just had a look at the land registry figures around south and east London. Still shows massive differences within London. Bexley only up 2.2% on the year, Greenwich 0.9%, Croydon 3.5%, and Barking 2.5%

Then there's places like Kensington on 12.2% on already massive averages. It's clear to see what is happening. London isn't one singular mass of large rises.