House Price Crash Forum

Shingles Jab

SarahBell

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22335511

"The Department of Health said the vaccination programme would cost about £25m a year in England but would save the NHS about £20m a year in fewer hospital stays, doctors appointments and prescriptions.

A Department of Health spokesman said: "Shingles can be a nasty disease for older people and can lead to long-term health problems for around 14,000 people each year."

So spending 5k a year more than the costs of the problem is a good idea?

From September, those aged 70 and 79 in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland will be invited to take up the vaccination.

""Not only suffering and some deaths but also all the costs of hospitalisation, not to mention all the inconvenience, people taking time off work to look after their children and so on and so forth.""

HOLA442
HOLA443

Dont you mean £5million?

And I think you may be missing the point of a healthcare system.

Indeed, shut all hospitals, pay for no vaccinations, save billions.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Dont you mean £5million?

And I think you may be missing the point of a healthcare system.

I did.

If the costs of treating something cost less than preventing it then something does need to be done.

Why does the vaccination program cost so much?

800,000 vaccines cost 25M?

HOLA448

Does this work full stop ? Or like other vaccines there are many strains and it only works for some ?

I wondered this and looked at wikipedia, apparently it is not terribly affective, the best solution is that people are periodically exposed to young kids with chicken pox as this boosts the immune system against the virus. In the states were inoculation against chicken pox is widespread for kids, there has been a huge surge in shingles case.

HOLA449

I did.

If the costs of treating something cost less than preventing it then something does need to be done.

£31.25 a jab doesn't sound like much. Just off the top of my head:

Staff costs for nurse.

Staff costs for receptionist.

Staff costs for administrators.

Land costs for premises.

Maintenance costs (including staff) for premises.

Drugs costs.

Support for those patients who need extra help due to disability.

Tax on all the above costs.

HOLA4410
Guest eight

£31.25 a jab doesn't sound like much. Just off the top of my head:

Staff costs for nurse.

Staff costs for receptionist.

Staff costs for administrators.

Land costs for premises.

Maintenance costs (including staff) for premises.

Drugs costs.

Support for those patients who need extra help due to disability.

Tax on all the above costs.

You missed off profit, although I accept that will be included in "drugs costs".

My daughter had scarlet fever last year, which was pretty nasty but which is not routinely vaccinated for. Where do we draw the line? I'm very wary of medicalising what might, for want of better words, be a childhood "rite of passage".

Another example - she properly grazed her knee on Friday, for the first time in her life. She's nearly five. I think when I was that age mine were nearly down to the bone, permanently. What resistance to infection had I picked up in the process that she has, again for want of better words, missed out on?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I wondered this and looked at wikipedia, apparently it is not terribly affective, the best solution is that people are periodically exposed to young kids with chicken pox as this boosts the immune system against the virus. In the states were inoculation against chicken pox is widespread for kids, there has been a huge surge in shingles case.

Older people tend to get rather a lot of exposure to young kids anyway ?

Is this a 'solution' to a problem that doesn't really exist ?

HOLA4414

I did.

Palliative care costs the country £billions a year with no return at all. Should we just execute anyone old or with a terminal illness?

HOLA4415

I had Shingles aged 32. Wasn't much fun at all - nearly went blind.

Same here, brought on by nagging girlfriend and stress from work. Absolutely awful disease, ended up in hospital. You can easily go blind as it destroys nerves.

HOLA4416
Guest TheBlueCat

Does this work full stop ? Or like other vaccines there are many strains and it only works for some ?

Article says 50% effective. Having seen just how nasty shingles can be though, I think it's definitely money well spent.

Archived