House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
apom

House Prices Are A Matter Of Opinion.

Prices have not rissen for any reason but that we are being told that they were.

People expected to pay more so they did.

People saw money being made so this drove the market.

but houses have not changed.

New builds have outstripped the increase of demand in most areas.

Immigration has caused only localised population explosions, it is not country wide.

The baby boomers show in population graphs as a big bulge, 20's and 30'3 show dwindling numbers.

so it has been led solely by public opinion..

1: houses have not increased in intrinsic value

2: There are more of them and fewer of us.

There is no sustianable reason for prices to have risen..

doea nyone know one??

Why are people paying more..?

Because the press tells us to...

The press is there to report fact, we know that it is shpaing public opinion.

What is frightening is how succesful it is.

It is.

Look at history. Hitler had convinced the Germans for many years (well before the WW2 started) that they were the only pure race; and they believed it too- till they lost the war. And he operated a very good propaganda machine.

The media propaganda is very strong- can be much stronger than the truth. And God knows how long they are going to play this regardless of the house prices.

Prices have not rissen for any reason but that we are being told that they were.

People expected to pay more so they did.

People saw money being made so this drove the market.

but houses have not changed.

New builds have outstripped the increase of demand in most areas.

Immigration has caused only localised population explosions, it is not country wide.

The baby boomers show in population graphs as a big bulge, 20's and 30'3 show dwindling numbers.

so it has been led solely by public opinion..

1: houses have not increased in intrinsic value

2: There are more of them and fewer of us.

There is no sustianable reason for prices to have risen..

doea nyone know one??

Why are people paying more..?

Because the press tells us to...

Because the idea of ever-increasing property prices is inherent in the UK culture and, despite the last nominal fall in prices, this idea remains strong. I hear it everyday amongst colleagues, families and strangers' conversations - it's pretty unshakeable I'm afraid.

Ten years ago, I was a newsagent. I remember the appauling Sun headline "Would the last person to leave put the lights out" comment just before the General Election. I turned it upside down in protest. I of course engaged in light hearted banter with most of my customers to earn my 3p profit on each paper. All I can add is that most people are non thinking sheeple and really do believe (or perhaps choose not to question) what is said in papers/on the tv news.

'News' is a funny name for what we get told actually. It is of not 'New' or even a 'Story', it is either spin or VI. Someone had a tag line here a few weeks ago that said "The government wants a TV in your living room more than you do". I couldn't agree more.

you get events news such as disasters and the like, but the middle news is very vested.

they only want to hear what they want you to hear. seeing it in housing made me doubt the whole ID cards issue and the 90 days issue.

if i cant trust them on simple housing news, how can i beleive anything else ?

i have to say the press were more real in the thatcher years than now.

its like they have been bought by the economy.

Edited by right_freds_dead

My theory is; the best people who really know markets and economics are probably working for banks/investment houses or spend their days maintaining their own investments.

Very hard to get anything sensible from the media. I often check them to see what the herd is doing and maybe make a trading decision to run with the hrd at times.

Very good point

I remember krustie allsopp acknowledging the power of the internet in that 3 min news clip about hpc.co.uk.

But in reality, the media are far more powerful. Without them, the HPI would have been minimal and we wouldn't be in this mess.

It's a whole generation uniting, spouting the same mantra to line their own pockets and screw the next generation.

we know that most of the news relating to the housing market is rubbish.

We know that Mer King has been shouting about the impossibility of it all..

but only becuase we look up his otherwise scantly reported speeches.

We know that one day of all majot news stations reporting the houseprice crash three weeks ago has led to the most sustained VI blitz.. We expected it.. But such was its strength that even a few of us started to believe it..

How long before we look at a property that has dropped 35% in two years and consider that there is a chance that the price has not dropped, only that it is being priced more realisticaly?

Its amazing..

and we have had to wait until now for the economy to balk and drive prices down.

But if the Media is lying about this.. If we can see it only because we have researched hard into every comment they make...

Consider for a moment what else they are lying about...?

Everything..

We are now in a world where are very concious opinions are being carefully shaped..

Sheeple..

We joke,... but its getting to the point where it is not funny.. its too true to be funny.

Look at my tag line...

It has been Gordon Browns greatest trick.

but he owns the people now.. without him there debt becomes real..

Without his constant reasurrances they are terrified that reality will unviel itself.