House Price Crash Forum

Getting Rid Of Smells

DTMark

HOLA441

"Fish.....fish... (sniffs) still I smell of fish" (The cook in the film "The Beach")

I'm going to have to give the background to the question or leave everyone else forever speculating..

We thought we'd try some "Creme Brulee" flavoured coffee beans.

I didn't put many in the machine, as I wanted to just try it and see what it was like.

Having tried it I then took the beans out of the machine but had to use my hands to scoop some of them out of the bit where the grinder is. Big mistake.

My hands absolutely reek of creme brulee. I've washed them repeatedly but to no avail.

Every time I eat or drink something the smell is so strong it's making me mildly nauseous. Two days on and it's not going away.

Is there anything short of toxic chemicals which will remove this?

HOLA442
HOLA443

I bet you washed your hands in hot water, which opened up the pores and let the smell into your skin. Next time, use cold water. Meanwhile, I think all you can do is either wait, or try to mask the smell with something else.

HOLA444

"Fish.....fish... (sniffs) still I smell of fish" (The cook in the film "The Beach")

I'm going to have to give the background to the question or leave everyone else forever speculating..

We thought we'd try some "Creme Brulee" flavoured coffee beans.

I didn't put many in the machine, as I wanted to just try it and see what it was like.

Having tried it I then took the beans out of the machine but had to use my hands to scoop some of them out of the bit where the grinder is. Big mistake.

My hands absolutely reek of creme brulee. I've washed them repeatedly but to no avail.

Every time I eat or drink something the smell is so strong it's making me mildly nauseous. Two days on and it's not going away.

Is there anything short of toxic chemicals which will remove this?

Pick the most appropriate solution out of the holy trinity...

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I bet you washed your hands in hot water, which opened up the pores and let the smell into your skin

Yes, that would be it. I had a shower straight after.

Will try the lemon juice and vinegar options.

I used to like creme brulee, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to eat one again.

HOLA448
HOLA449

My wife cleans our whole flat with that stuff. Stinks the place out for a day but leaves everything sparkling.

A true HPC wife!

I'm afraid mine still resorts to expensive and no more effective branded products.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is very effective, it's well known for absorbing smells and very useful for many purposes around the house.

Also try using real soap (soap bars), not liquid soaps which normally don't contain any real soap.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Working with what we have in the house - used lemon, then vinegar, and then had a bath with one of those "bath bombs" whose primary constituent is (I think) bicarbonate of soda.

I can still smell it faintly, like a sort of mild butterscotch fragrance now, but it's very much reduced.

Thank you.

HOLA4422

As bad smells go, creme brulee isn't bad, you know. In fact, I'm rather partial to a creme brulee.

I thought you were going to complain about something horrible like diesel (which I personally don't mind). Or fish.

HOLA4423

I believe it's Sainsbury's basic white vinegar. I'm sorry. I've let you all down. :(

Vinegar is particularly good for windows and mirrors.

Meths is a useful cleaner. (Test on a sample of what you are cleaning first)

For electrical components, isopropyl alcohol is best. (Test on a sample of what you are cleaning first)

Borax is a natural cleaner for some items.

HOLA4424

BUT NOT

Baking Soda AND vinegar

That makes hydrochloric acid

No it doesn't!

Baking soda = sodium hydrogen carbonate = NaHCO3

Vinegar = aqueous solution of acetic acid = CH3COOH

NaHCO3 + CH3COOH --> Na+CH3COO- (sodium acetate) + H2O (water) + CO2 (carbon dioxide)

(Hydrochloric acid = HCl)

HOLA4425

No it doesn't!

Baking soda = sodium hydrogen carbonate = NaHCO3

Vinegar = aqueous solution of acetic acid = CH3COOH

NaHCO3 + CH3COOH --> Na+CH3COO- (sodium acetate) + H2O (water) + CO2 (carbon dioxide)

(Hydrochloric acid = HCl)

I suspect he was confusing the mixing of acids and bleach - in particular limescale decsaler (HCL - H2O) and household bleach (NaClO) which produces chlorine gas.

Archived