House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Ginger Winger

How Little Money Can A Person Live On

£350 a week for a single adult which i expect is take home pay. So would i be correct in saying if you earn less than ~£15 an hour you might as well not bother and just go on benefits.

If your single then no, if you have kids then yes.

The major weekly cost for most people is housing. But the massive variation in cost across the UK almost renders it pointless to talk about any sort of average. Many, but not all, people on low incomes have most or all of their rent covered by housing benefit.

So, excluding housing costs, ...

So in an analysis of living costs the BBC decides to exclude the cost of housing. The journalist who wrote this article must have felt the elephant in the room's bristly backside rubbing against his face the whole time he was typing it out.

Single person in the Southwest ? £1K a month net and that includes rent and running a car to get to work.

Include a partner and add another £400 a month

And that's without thinking about economising.

Edited by LiveinHope

Hilarious!

That diet looks like a recipe for constant hunger and getting fat.

No mention of bicycles as a transport option.

Glad to know housing is free though.

I don't understand why people consider cheese an essential foodstuff. Unless you are a 17th century Alpine hill farmer, there are better sources of fat and protein.

Why isn't bacon on their shopping list? It's inexpensive, tasty, versatile and keeps well.

Hilarious!

That diet looks like a recipe for constant hunger and getting fat.

No mention of bicycles as a transport option.

Glad to know housing is free though.

I think most people would get fat on 2000 kcal a day easily. My basal metabolism works out at 1400 kcal a day apparently. A two hour daily walk would burn off 600 kcal and help offset the damage caused by a high starch/carb diet.

You would be best dumping the starch and putting more butter and eggs, and high protein into the equation. They cost more, but you would eat less.

"For anybody with a television, a TV licence costs 145.50."

No comment.

So the BBC = 9 weeks basic food ration.

Speaking of which..

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/local/christa-ackroyd-s-mystery-absence-1-5617341

Local BBC news presenter earns £225k a year (self employed of course). Currently off air.

Here in Ireland insolvent 'bank renters' are told how much they are allowed to live on.

http://www.thejournal.ie/pic-how-much-youre-allowed-to-spend-under-new-insolvency-rules-875254-Apr2013/

Since we border with the UK (NI) and taxes are similar there should not be much difference in those figures.

insolvency1.png

Edited by Gone to Ireland.

These articles are a bit of a joke. No mention of cycling, for example, and guff about TV licences when you can get free programmes on broadband Iplayer (of course I wouldn't expect the BBC turkeys to vote for Christmas...) - or just read a bloody book or listen to the radio. It's all just piddling cuts to ludicrously over the top expenditure instead of a radical re-assessment of what people buy and why, and what the alternatives are.

I treat these kind of articles as pure propaganda.

LOOK HOW LITTLE YOU CAN ACTUALLY LIVE ON, DON'T QUESTION THE RENTIERS!!