House Price Crash Forum

The Rise Of The Foodbank:camerons Constituency Has One Apparently.

Cameron's foodbank consists of foie gras, beluga caviar and a bottle of Bollinger

I expect that Cameron and the rest of his Bullingdon mates think food is just something that you chuck at each other when pissed.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

Remember our leaders think that spending is what drive the economy? They really should just give the needy a credit card issued by BoE so they can go round doing the spending (and then the debt cancelled at end of the month, so new money printed). Winners (supermarkets, farmers) all round.

Seriously, rather then saying UK being one of the richest country (which of course she is), it should emphasis on how unprepared most UK people are (i.e. on pay check/benefit payment to disaster). Other than the youth (maybe 25 and under who never have enough time to prepare themselves), most food bank users are seldom blameless, and many have debts and zero saving which put them into this tricky situation. Even many of them have wide screen TV in their living room (probably SKY-less, however),

Having said that, food bank is probably a superior form of welfare (whether delivered by charity/private or public) compared to things like HB, Tax Credit etc.

Food banks and work programs.

Is this the start of work houses

Tesco rant on and on about how brilliant they are with food banks and distribution.

On the other hand they are supposedly in receipt of millions of hrs of shelf stacking reckoned to be worth over £2,000,000 so far!

So "work houses" are already here - in a veiled format.

Just one major 'CHAIN' out of over 150 on the taxpayer paid work scheme teat - boosting directors profits and bonuses!

Let's knight them all like Leahy as they all have a majick wand.

Tesco's US venture Fresh & Easy - started by Sir Terry Leahy? - hasn't turned out well.

They're exiting that business and writing off £1.2bn

When Tesco management have to play on a level playing field without Govt-taxpayer subsidised trickery - they FAIL BIGTIME!

Edited by erranta

It's interesting to imagine what a time traveller from 2005 would make of this thread- I suspect he would be genuinely shocked that food bank's even exist in the UK.

The boiling frog syndrome is a much underestimated phenomenon- it's scary how we all adapt to incremental change even over quite short time scales- so that things that were once unthinkable become normal.

I read how some children in Greece now scavenge on rubbish tips for scraps of food and wonder how soon we will see the same here- and will that too seem normal to us? Probably.

Its also interesting to see how- as these things come to pass- the narratives that explain them also emerge-seemingly spontaneously. The legend of the Sky TV watching, heavy smoking drunkard whose children are left unfed by choice is the latest incarnation of such retrofitted mythologies.

But one has to ask why all of a sudden the number of such people has multiplied- what are we to say to our time traveller from 2005? Shall we say that a mysterious undetectable virus of unknown origin has suddenly transformed hitherto responsible parents into Sky TV obsessed chain smoking drunks?

The danger with embracing scapegoats is that it blinds you to the wider pattern of events- the comfort derived from blaming the victim is ephemeral and leads to complacency.

To me the pattern seems clear- to destroy the living standards of the majority in order to preserve the power and wealth of the status quo, who otherwise might be compelled to take the losses their recklessness has engendered.

Even a boiling frog can learn to recognise when he is on the menu.

Edited by wonderpup

Labour are shocked to discover that people like free stuff.

Perhaps if we set up Sky TV banks, Millibland can tour those, and open mouthed acknowledge "there are people who can only get trashy populism when it's given to them for free. I believe in a world where everyone gets boobs and cocks beamed into their houses 24 hours a day".

Christ. Like anyone actually needs these. Their use is directly driven by media screaming "Free food here", the idea that people don't have £10 a week for meals is ludicrous.

Labour are shocked to discover that people like free stuff.

Perhaps if we set up Sky TV banks, Millibland can tour those, and open mouthed acknowledge "there are people who can only get trashy populism when it's given to them for free. I believe in a world where everyone gets boobs and cocks beamed into their houses 24 hours a day".

Christ. Like anyone actually needs these. Their use is directly driven by media screaming "Free food here", the idea that people don't have £10 a week for meals is ludicrous.

A watch of the BBC documentary 'Hidden Hungry' is a must before claiming food banks are a symptom of anything. I would have said that the programme and its maker originally set out deliberately to show the harsh effect of nasty Tory cuts but it took a very unexpected turn, I think it was very unexpected for programme maker as well.

Essentially one person featured was a young girl who'd been the responsibilty of social services when younger and was now in her late teens and trying to put herself through further education on limited benefits. She volunteered at the food bank to save money and I think partly for the company and social support of the other volunteers running it. At one point it transpired she was so strapped for cash she had to pawn her laptop, at Cash Converters, with coursework on to live, the guy behind the camera paid for her to get it back out. He was further astonished when on following her to the job centre/social security to discuss her plight they suggested, to a naive vulnerable girl, she get pregnant to obtain more benefits. Eventually she was sorted out, and she was entitled to be funded, but unacceptably there seemed to be some sort of internal argument between different council social services over which of them was responsible for paying for her.

The second jaw dropper was a guy called Darren who, after losing his job, had quickly established himself as one of the numero uno hard luck cases at the food bank. Basically, the documentary maker got suspicious and after investigation exposed him as a con man helping himself to free food he was in no real need of. In a surprising moment of candour the documentary maker effectively concludes that the charity volunteers running the food bank are most keen on believing they're helping desperate people but ultimately in denial and turning a blind eye, to the rather obvious fact, that not all are worthy causes.

In all, for the BBC, an uncharacteristically searing insight into the realms of welfare and charities which along with schools and hospitals have become, over the past decades, a national fetish almost akin to a religious cult.

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

Just turn up and get free food?tins? if it's like that with no controls then i would expect organised crime to be all over it. Sad if there are those that really do need the help.

Just turn up and get free food?tins? if it's like that with no controls then i would expect organised crime to be all over it. Sad if there are those that really do need the help.

There are controls! You have to present with a referral from Social Services, the police, JC+ etc.

Just looked at the Trussel Trust website. Active in the UK and Bulgaria. Nice to see where we're headed.

IMHO these we will see more and more foodbanks.

We are in a currency war and all the players are trashing their currencies in order to stay competitive. The real cost of producing food will remain the same but because all the currencies are being inflated to infinity and beyond, food (and fuel) will just get more and more expensive until only the rich are untroubled by the rising costs.

There will probably be a reintroduction of rationing at some point when the inefficiencies of small scale foodbanks fail to scale up.

If QE cannot or will not be stopped surely this is the inevitable outcome?

Or am I missing something?

A watch of the BBC documentary 'Hidden Hungry' is a must before claiming food banks are a symptom of anything. I would have said that the and trying to put herself through further education on limited benefits. She volunteered at the food bank to save money and I think partly for the company and social support of the other volunteers running it. At one point it transpired she was so strapped for cash she had to pawn her laptop, at Cash Converters, with coursework on to live, the guy behind the camera paid for her to get it back out. He was further astonished when on following her to the job centre/social security to discuss her plight they suggested, to a naive vulnerable girl, she get pregnant to obtain more benefits. Eventually she was sorted out, and she was entitled to be funded, but unacceptably there seemed to be some sort of internal argument between different council social services over which of them was responsible for paying for her.

The second jaw dropper was a guy called Darren who, after losing his job, had quickly established himself as one of the numero uno hard luck cases at the food bank. Basically, the documentary maker got suspicious and after investigation exposed him as a con man helping himself to free food he was in no real need of. In a surprising moment of candour the documentary maker effectively concludes that the charity volunteers running the food bank are most keen on believing they're helping desperate people but ultimately in denial and turning a blind eye, to the rather obvious fact, that not all are worthy causes.

In all, for the BBC, an uncharacteristically searing insight into the realms of welfare and charities which along with schools and hospitals have become, over the past decades, a national fetish almost akin to a religious cult.

Yes - I watch that and was shocked about the frankness of BBC in that documentary.

I have most sympathy for those under 25 who may not have a chance to plan their lives but most older foodbank users tend to have to bare some responsibilities for their predicaments (and maybe those suffer from domestic violence are the few exceptions)

Ah the 'deserving' and the 'undeserving poor'.

Some of the comments on this thread read like the came from the authors of the Elizabethan Poor Law.

The old Protestant idea that wealth and poverty are somehow a mark of your personal moral probity appears to be alive and well in 21st century UK .

One wonders why the churches are all empty.

All i can say is wait until God's judgement gets visited on you.

Ah the 'deserving' and the 'undeserving poor'.

Some of the comments on this thread read like the came from the authors of the Elizabethan Poor Law.

The old Protestant idea that wealth and poverty are somehow a mark of your personal moral probity appears to be alive and well in 21st century UK .

One wonders why the churches are all empty.

All i can say is wait until God's judgement gets visited on you.

That is why a Citizen income efficiently administered is the only way to go.

Without that I see Foodbank a superior form of welfare vis a vis other form of welfare currently being implented.

As for God, some fish and bread upon demand (prayer) and Mana from heavens would make Food bank instantly redundant.

Edited by easy2012

Miliband (zionist) + Sky run by zionists to destroy morality and your minds

For Jews read zionists

(cos they haven't quite worked out the 'ideological' jewish connection yet on these websites)

'Jews control Hollywood.' by Joel Stein

Los Angeles Times

http://www.latimes.c...,4676183.column

" Everything that Hollywood writes and produces today is saturated with violence, killing, death, murder, torture, and gore."

(They are brainwashing, conditioning and 'naturalising' these basic animalistic things - in your mind)

http://www.jesus-is-...evil_agenda.htm

Eh.......so is the food kosher or what?

Food banks are also a reflection of the wealth in society.

If everyone was on the breadline then there would be no food donations to give out.

Does that mean that the increasing number of food banks is an indication of rising prosperity? To me this seems an odd way to view it.

Leaving aside the army of chain smoking, sky tv obsessed alcoholics- of whom there are no doubt millions- most people would not choose to 'shop' in a food bank- so I reckon if more people are it's a sign that we are a society getting poorer.

Hard to blame anyone for getting into debt. I recognise each conversion of credit into debt is down to a personal decision, but the oversupply of credit is state policy. Anyone who accesses that supply is following orders.

Maybe the Nuremberg defence applies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_orders

The thing I find chilling is the notion of workhouses. I suppose you could look at Ireland and consider anyone stuck in 50% neg eq + having their spending micro-managed by the official receiver for the next six years = living in their own private workhouse. But in Britain, given the determination to limit supply of accomodation, the communal workhouse may be deemed a legitimate policy - wouldn't put it past IDS.

That is why a Citizen income efficiently administered is the only way to go.

Without that I see Foodbank a superior form of welfare vis a vis other form of welfare currently being implented.

As for God, some fish and bread upon demand (prayer) and Mana from heavens would make Food bank instantly redundant.

It is strange we never hear about the 'deserving' and the 'undeserving rich'.

Somehow they always seem to fall in the 'deserving' category

Quite why a city trader who lands some big gambles and gets a million in bonuses is thought to be morally superior to someone on the dole is beyond me.

It is as though the guy who lands an accumulator bet in the bookies is somehow more virtuous than all the losers who punted away their money on three legged ponies

It is even more inexplicable is the fact that the rewards to the undeserving rich continue to be paid out even while some of the businesses concerned rack up huge losses and have to be bailed out by the taxpayer . Surely society needs someone to 'sanction them' to change their ways just like the Job Centre does to poor old JSA claimants

They don't always - even in your earlier reply you correctly identified the rent seekers. Further, not all rich are loved - many are loathed actually and perhaps none will get out a bailout if we get a referendum on the matter.

On the food bank issue, we need balance reporting and identify the root cause - not just the usual sod stories plus complain about goverment not spreading around more free money. (and the fact that there is no austerity at all continue to elude the reporters)

Quite why a city trader who lands some big gambles and gets a million in bonuses is thought to be morally superior to someone on the dole is beyond me.

Try asking round the dinner party next time round (other than at a City charity dinner) - you will find that such view is rather uncommon.

It is as though the guy who lands an accumulator bet in the bookies is somehow more virtuous than all the losers who punted away their money on three legged ponies

Yes they are - simply because they then don't become a burden to other. However, if the guy did lost, then he is solely responsible for the consequences of his/her action. If he then visit a food bank, he should be fed, but his sod story should not be aired.

It is even more inexplicable is the fact that the rewards to the undeserving rich continue to be paid out even while some of the businesses concerned rack up huge losses and have to be bailed out by the taxpayer . Surely society needs someone to 'sanction them' to change their ways just like the Job Centre does to poor old JSA claimants

Edited by easy2012

The strange thing is that everyone knows that bankers only work for money- it's the guy on the dole who is expected to work purely for moral reasons- even if he worse off by doing so.

So the guy motivated by personal gain is the one we respect- and the guy we expect to have the strongest ethics is the one we despise.

:blink:

It seems to me that the growth of food banks is in some way connected with the general handing over of state welfare to private charity which has been going on for years. It means that the welfare bill can be slashed, and ideological control of the charities can always be kept by ensuring the 'right' people are in charge of the charities. This was popular under New Labour, I believe, with organisations like Shelter and the NSPCC becoming increasingly politicised, so it's not just an 'evil Tory' thing. It's highly unpopular for anyone to question charity in this way as it makes one look as if one wants people to starve.

Miliband (zionist) + Sky run by zionists to destroy morality and your minds

For Jews read zionists

(cos they haven't quite worked out the 'ideological' jewish connection yet on these websites)

'Jews control Hollywood.' by Joel Stein

Los Angeles Times

http://www.latimes.c...,4676183.column

" Everything that Hollywood writes and produces today is saturated with violence, killing, death, murder, torture, and gore."

(They are brainwashing, conditioning and 'naturalising' these basic animalistic things - in your mind)

http://www.jesus-is-...evil_agenda.htm

We are watching you.

ZOG

It seems to me that the growth of food banks is in some way connected with the general handing over of state welfare to private charity which has been going on for years. It means that the welfare bill can be slashed, and ideological control of the charities can always be kept by ensuring the 'right' people are in charge of the charities. This was popular under New Labour, I believe, with organisations like Shelter and the NSPCC becoming increasingly politicised, so it's not just an 'evil Tory' thing. It's highly unpopular for anyone to question charity in this way as it makes one look as if one wants people to starve.

A lot of charities are just privatisation vehicles for services previously performed by local authorities. Advantage is that LA staff numbers are "reduced" and secondly staff can be paid much less.

Edited by THE BALD MAN