House Price Crash Forum
FedupTeddiBear

Good News From A Colleague...

This colleague is not a HPCer but would definitely fit in well here! He has continued renting - refuses to buy at overinflated prices but has been looking around (Northeastern Hampshire/ Surrey) nonetheless and occasionally shares stories of his progress with me.

Today I was surprised when he told me that he has had an offer accepted.

He recently decided to start putting some offers in - suspect pressure from his wife. On spying something that appealed he suggested an amount to the EA who immediately rubbished it and after unsuccessfully trying hard to persuade him to offer something close to the asking price, argued quite unpleasantly that he was wasting everyone's time, had "no chance" and "would be laughed at", etc, the usual.

Despite an unhappy and sulky EA, said colleague went ahead and put his (25% below asking) offer in writing.

Offer was accepted yesterday. :)

Unfortunately I am too polite to directly ask precise numbers so unsure of the actual price.

This colleague is not a HPCer but would definitely fit in well here! He has continued renting - refuses to buy at overinflated prices but has been looking around (Northeastern Hampshire/ Surrey) nonetheless and occasionally shares stories of his progress with me.

He recently decided to start putting some offers in - suspect pressure from his wife. On spying something that appealed he suggested an amount to the EA who immediately rubbished it and after unsuccessfully trying hard to persuade him to offer something close to the asking price, argued quite unpleasantly that he was wasting everyone's time, had "no chance" and "would be laughed at", etc, the usual.

Despite an unhappy and sulky EA, said colleague went ahead and put his (25% below asking) offer in writing.

Unfortunately I am too polite to directly ask precise numbers so unsure of the actual price.

You should follow that up with ensuring the seller immediately takes the house off the market before proceeding with any surveys etc.

What these b'stard EA's are against is any proles setting the price which reduces their cut.

It also sets the new 'going rate' for the whole town, miles around..

Edited by erranta

That EA had attended the Countrywide sales course then.

Similarly, I encountered a colleague who openly talked of STRing in 2006 - except his missus is too sensible to let him buy back in, even though they've got a couple of kids in a small rental.

Like a mason I tested him to see if he was one of us, by saying 'oh, you're an STR, are you', but he hadn't heard this acronym.

He said they were in no rush now as prices were still too high.

His household income must be over 100k in West Mids, so he could easily get a mortgage.