House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dinker

The Strongest Indicator Of Educational Success Is ...

Deloitte were asked to do an audit of the educational system to see if there is any link between spending and educational achievement. The report is here:

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/q/quality_counts_npd_analysis.pdf

They found there was no link between spending and achievement but did find that being Chinese meant that you were practically guaranteed to succeed in the educational system. The biggest failures were Roma and Afro-Caribbean. Further analysis in the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/10017976/At-last-its-official-spending-more-doesnt-make-public-services-better.html

Really? We did this stuff at university and it was generally Islam that held people back rather than 'ethnicity'. That was in the early 00s though.

with regards to blacks, Afro carribeans (mostly christians) outperformed africans (mostly muslims)

with regards to south asians, indians (hindus/sikhs) outperformed pakistanis/bangladeshis (mostly muslims)

I loved my cocker spaniels.

they were wonderful people. full of love and the joy of barking at nothing, chasing the stick and tugging the tugging thing.

they werent too bright though...dont think education interested them much...not in their nature.

It's culture, not ethnicity, or not in the genetic sense.

Take a Roma or African Muslim baby where the mother has been well-fed prior to and during pregnancy and have it brought up by highly educated pushy parents and what will you get? Probably not a rocket scientist, but almost certainly not an educational failure.

Equally a Chinese baby given to a Roma family isn't going to be winning scholarships to Harvard or MIT.

I believe that due to spending by Labour in their backyard (London) when they were in power that blacks now out perform whites.

(I'll now go and try and find some evidence)

EDIT:

http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz2REapziyt

Hmmm. Read that any which way.

This is more enlightening:

http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz2REapziyt

Poor pupils in north face worst prospects

Basically the story seems to run something like this. Those sitting in Parliament were worried about a powder keg of under achieving minorities on the doorstep so they focused resource on schools in London to turn around their performance and has now led to the situation such that a poor white kid from Hull is likely to be very much worse off by the time they leave school than a new immigrant into Newham.

Funnily enough, you don't hear that angle played in the media very much.

surely headmasters should be selling their consultancy skills, they are the best of the best after all....or are they? appears not,, they had to employ consultants ( political appointees no doubt), who attracted funds.

Wii in every classroom... hussah!

It's culture, not ethnicity, or not in the genetic sense.

Take a Roma or African Muslim baby where the mother has been well-fed prior to and during pregnancy and have it brought up by highly educated pushy parents and what will you get? Probably not a rocket scientist, but almost certainly not an educational failure.

Equally a Chinese baby given to a Roma family isn't going to be winning scholarships to Harvard or MIT.

Couldn't agree more.

Culture is the key. It's why the Jews also do incredibly well academically, scholarship is an integral part of the culture.

It all sounds like covert racism to me!

Actually, I vaguely recall the Arab area was an important centre of learning hundreds of year ago, before Islam arrived.

Only in the sense of it being "racist" to say that Russians drink more vodka than the French, or that the French drink more Pernod than Russians.

Actually, I vaguely recall the Arab area was an important centre of learning hundreds of year ago, before Islam arrived.

Yes it was, and indeed after Islam arrived! However, I believe Islam, an indeed most religion in the current age, discourages thought, and reasoning! Sad really! I remember Mendel's peas! :huh:

Yes it was, and indeed after Islam arrived! However, I believe Islam, an indeed most religion in the current age, discourages thought, and reasoning! Sad really! I remember Mendel's peas! :huh:

Yes, I should've said that myself!

Yes, I should've said that myself!

There's the problem with "religion" Mr Chronyx! They now think they have the answers, instead of seeking for them! Both Islam and Christianity have produced some damn good science from "monks" with a bit of spare time. Still the Jews are funnier though! :huh:;)

They were excellent peas! When you opened the can, some would be smooth, some would be wrinkly, but they were all delicious!

Captain Birdseye never got the hang of recessive genes!