House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
longtomsilver

Do You Haggle In The Current Economic Climate?

Only put the word economy in here to keep this on the main thread :D

My haggling wins so far this year:

My mum bought a new B class merc and. I intervened to get £1k off list price and increase the offer for her old car from £7k to £8k in part exchange.

Bought a sofa last night from the better chain. Sale price £999 bartered price £925 including delivery (usually £50).

Carpet in play room from the only main player. Quoted £550, bartered price £450.

New motorbike ordered today (CRF250L) got £250 off to pay cash although I opted to pay full price and have 0% finance instead of the nationwide 4.9% APR offer on at the moment and keep my money for something else.

Big savings to be had on pretty much anything if you have the guts to ask, my wife said she'd have been too timid to barter after seeing my stellar performance in Acme Sofas she's coming around to the idea.

What are your haggling wins past and present?

I paid full price for a bike but asked for different inner tubes to be fitted at no extra cost (which they did - I wasn't expecting that to be a hard negotiation).

I hadn't done my homework (on prices elsewhere, etc), so whatever he'd said I would have had to swallow or walk, and I wasn't in the mood to find another shop or bike.

Only put the word economy in here to keep this on the main thread :D

My haggling wins so far this year:

My mum bought a new B class merc and. I intervened to get £1k off list price and increase the offer for her old car from £7k to £8k in part exchange.

Bought a sofa last night from the better chain. Sale price £999 bartered price £925 including delivery (usually £50).

Carpet in play room from the only main player. Quoted £550, bartered price £450.

New motorbike ordered today (CRF250L) got £250 off to pay cash although I opted to pay full price and have 0% finance instead of the nationwide 4.9% APR offer on at the moment and keep my money for something else.

Big savings to be had on pretty much anything if you have the guts to ask, my wife said she'd have been too timid to barter after seeing my stellar performance in Acme Sofas she's coming around to the idea.

I want one of these. Might try the haggle down the Honda garage next weekend....

New helmet shopping tomorrow - will definitely try to haggle on that.

I want one of these. Might try the haggle down the Honda garage next weekend....

New helmet shopping tomorrow - will definitely try to haggle on that.

Well now you have a yardstick I'm that you can tell the salesman a somebody on HPC got this deal, should be an easy win if not PM me and I'll give you the details of the franchise I bought from. They ordered 10 in March and have 4 left. :)

Do you mean there are people who don't haggle? Forget "recession", we've always haggled on just about everything.

I thought I was bad (or good) but I'm a mere apprentice in comparison with Mrs JTB. She haggles in John Lewis. Our eldest daughter refuses to be seen with us but the youngest is starting to show some talent in the skill herself.

I got 18% off a new Toyota Yaris from my local garage but it took nearly a month of hard haggling, it was like trench warfare. That was a French garage and the French would sooner gouge their own eyes out than sell below asking price on anything.

Pity the car is a bit crap. :(

Yep , recently . AA tried to put up my cover by 18% , gave them the opportunity to 're-quote' before I jumped ship to the RAC and they miraculously left the price the same as last year! so they were trying it on basically.

D

I saved £36,000 by writing off my new mercedes over Christmas, it'll hurt my premiums come renewal time no doubt :D

If I'm right in thinking your the same poster with a similar name on Pistonheads, what did you do to your SLK?

We got one on lease for my wife, she's looking forward to being able to drive with the roof down in the next few weeks.

If I'm right in thinking your the same poster with a similar name on Pistonheads, what did you do to your SLK?

We got one on lease for my wife, she's looking forward to being able to drive with the roof down in the next few weeks.

Correct.

I was stationary on the inside lane behind illegally parked cars (on double yellows) waiting for the outside lane to become clear before completing a turn to the right. That was the plan but a boy racer (19 year old) doing 50-60mph in a 40mph zone in the outside lane decides to pull into the very small strip of space available once past the parked cars and t-boned me. Such is life.

It's a beautiful car (or was in my case). Think I'll stay away from them though and chip away at the mortgage instead :D

Just to add getting this bike is to stop me spending the housekeeping on an E class cabriolet. I have no will power :D

Edited by longtomsilver

I'm in the process of moving.

Haggled 10% off the asking rent on my new place. Since I'm a hopeless haggler, I think that's not bad for me.

I'm in the process of moving.

Haggled 10% off the asking rent on my new place. Since I'm a hopeless haggler, I think that's not bad for me.

How very appropriate and what a haggle. In a few weeks time i'm hoping to pay down 10% of my IO mortgage which is the maximum I can make without penalty, while technically not a haggle you are in good company. I look forward to paying 10% less :)

Edited by longtomsilver

Correct.

I was stationary on the inside lane behind illegally parked cars (on double yellows) waiting for the outside lane to become clear before completing a turn to the right. That was the plan but a boy racer (19 year old) doing 50-60mph in a 40mph zone in the outside lane decides to pull into the very small strip of space available once past the parked cars and t-boned me. Such is life.

It's a beautiful car (or was in my case). Think I'll stay away from them though and chip away at the mortgage instead :D

You had it on lease didn't you, so I guess it was less painful in financial terms than if you had bought it outright or on finance. I hope you escaped without injury, although a bit of whiplash is inevitable ;) . My Mercedes was written off last year by some drugged up tosser on an almost deserted motorway in the early hours. Still he got a jail sentence, I'm still battling with the insurance company though.

You had it on lease didn't you, so I guess it was less painful in financial terms than if you had bought it outright or on finance. I hope you escaped without injury, although a bit of whiplash is inevitable ;) . My Mercedes was written off last year by some drugged up tosser on an almost deserted motorway in the early hours. Still he got a jail sentence, I'm still battling with the insurance company though.

Indeed it was on lease so other than my pride the financial loss was minimal. I have to say our insurance company (a subsidiary of esure) were absolutely first class. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Actually, I got a cut to my head and looked pretty bloody, even though I braced for the impact the g-force was incredible.

My best one was the house - nearly 18% off asking price last Oct. Recently negotiated a 35% discount off work's email service - that was very satisfying as it'll save quite a few bob over the next year.

Most recent was just last weekend - 30% off a secondhand bike on eBay.

I don't haggle on everything. The missus, however, is outrageous - she has been known to haggle a 50p discount on a £1 purchase in a charity shop.

Never had any time for customers that haggle always been happy to let them go off and waste someone else's time. It's worse after the effin One Show or that tit Dom have done some TV piece promoting it. In the immediate aftermath the world and their wife mistakenly think their nearest shopping centre is a Moroccan Bazaar.

If you've haggled and got something I think this will simply mean, in a lot of cases, if you'd done better research in the first place you could have got a better price. I don't mind serious enquires about real (ie not two) quantity discounts but post-internet they're getting less worthwhile too. For example, Johnny Customer emails to say I'm interested in buying 50 of some product they've seen on your website. The best thing you can do is just not reply and the chances are they'll still buy anyway because the fact is they'd already established you're the cheapest outlet they can find for the product before they even contact you so why bother giving them anything off as they've got nowhere else to go if they're serious.

Having said all that it is possible to play clever tricks with customers and give them an ego boost by fooling them into thinking they've just played hardball and won, say extra from you on the part-exchange, which then can be used tempt them up into a higher spec model as typically people's defences drop immediately after they think they've won a battle.

I rarely haggle because (a.) I rarely buy anything that's not food or drink and (b.) I am usually pleased to have got a good deal anyway.

Same here, really I think it's about quickly establishing a fair price and getting the goods you need. If getting another couple of quid off something is a deal breaker for someone did they really want/need that thing in the first place.

I think haggling with a lot of people is more about the buzz of winning or even getting one over on someone rather than any real economic need to be making that saving.

Same here, really I think it's about quickly establishing a fair price and getting the goods you need. If getting another couple of quid off something is a deal breaker for someone did they really want/need that thing in the first place.

I think haggling with a lot of people is more about the buzz of winning or even getting one over on someone rather than any real economic need to be making that saving.

i don't haggle.

I'll offer a price I want to pay, which may or may not be the price on offer. If it's less, the retailer can take it or leave it. No hard feelings on either side if no sale is made.

Right now I'm getting excellent deals, especially for equipment for my work, Just got 14k off a 21k item. Purchase wasn't vital but was worth it at the price I paid.

Never had any time for customers that haggle always been happy to let them go off and waste someone else's time. It's worse after the effin One Show or that tit Dom have done some TV piece promoting it. In the immediate aftermath the world and their wife mistakenly think their nearest shopping centre is a Moroccan Bazaar.

If you've haggled and got something I think this will simply mean, in a lot of cases, if you'd done better research in the first place you could have got a better price. I don't mind serious enquires about real (ie not two) quantity discounts but post-internet they're getting less worthwhile too. For example, Johnny Customer emails to say I'm interested in buying 50 of some product they've seen on your website. The best thing you can do is just not reply and the chances are they'll still buy anyway because the fact is they'd already established you're the cheapest outlet they can find for the product before they even contact you so why bother giving them anything off as they've got nowhere else to go if they're serious.

Having said all that it is possible to play clever tricks with customers and give them an ego boost by fooling them into thinking they've just played hardball and won, say extra from you on the part-exchange, which then can be used tempt them up into a higher spec model as typically people's defences drop immediately after they think they've won a battle.

I see someone has posted about haggling at John Lewis, so I guess I pretty much fully agree with this. You could haggle 50% off at JL to fins you've still paid 30% too much.

The only people worth haggling with which has also been mentioned are sole traders/self employed, espcially tradesmen. You'll get a lot less results from accountants/lawyers/up their own **** types.

I see someone has posted about haggling at John Lewis, so I guess I pretty much fully agree with this. You could haggle 50% off at JL to fins you've still paid 30% too much.

The only people worth haggling with which has also been mentioned are sole traders/self employed, espcially tradesmen. You'll get a lot less results from accountants/lawyers/up their own **** types.

And I think retailers co-evolved with shoppers - and that is the reason we get all these fake discounts.

Love SportsDirect's 70%, 80%, 90% off..