House Price Crash Forum
DEATH

Brighton Housing Trust To "house" People In Shipping Containers

I'm sure the baby boomers must be creaming themselves from their mansions - their parents generation often resorted to prefab housing to pay off the national debt from the war and give the boomers a better chance in life, and now their children's generation is doing the same to pay off the national debt from the boomer-boom, and give the boomers a better chance in retirement

So, the council is using converted shipping containers (similar method to recent hotel developments - very effective build method using something that there is an enormous oversupply of) to create temporary (5 year) studio accomodation for people who are homeless on a piece of land that cannnot have permanent housing built on it until the council can afford the clean up activity.

Sounds like a bloody sensible decision to me - low capital investment, significant benefit to thecouncil & the homeless folks (higher quality housing, and cheaper than putting them into B&B's), and using land that would otherwise sit empty.

I'm sure the baby boomers must be creaming themselves from their mansions - their parents generation often resorted to prefab housing to pay off the national debt from the war and give the boomers a better chance in life, and now their children's generation is doing the same to pay off the national debt from the boomer-boom, and give the boomers a better chance in retirement

+1

Seems sensible to me. It's not being proposed as a permanent solution to housing needs, but a temporary fix that is better than current arrangements...

And New England Road is very centrally located with fantastic access to local amenities and less than 5 minutes walk to Brighton Station

;)

+1

If it's good enough for your armed forces abroad, oil workers, its good enough for you.

I'd live in a container house if the other option was old council crap.

Edited by cashinmattress

Seems sensible to me. It's not being proposed as a permanent solution to housing needs, but a temporary fix that is better than current arrangements...

And New England Road is very centrally located with fantastic access to local amenities and less than 5 minutes walk to Brighton Station

;)

B+B is not a permanent solution either.

but putting people on land that is unfit to build houses on due to contamination....thats going to be a fairly permanent solution for the recipient....

Edited by Bloo Loo

B+B is not a permanent solution either.

but putting people on land that is unfit to build houses on due to contamination....thats going to be a fairly permanent solution for the recipient....

I'd rather be housed in a self-contained unit like this than a grotty B&B...but I do agree that 'contaminated land' doesn't sound ideal...

(though I'm unsure if that actually translates into a real hazard to health, since they won't be digging down into the ground for foundations as they would with other types of development)...

Good idea.

I've lived in a converted shipping container in East London for five years. Not that bad actually, and only a stones throw from Canary Wharf.

There were put up was as cheap artist studio's, for creative types. I kinda lied to become a tenant.

Once you are inside them, no different to a new build flat.

If I could get cheap land/ temporary permission I'd build my own container city.

There, the voice of experience.

Edited by Secure Tenant

So, the council is using converted shipping containers (similar method to recent hotel developments - very effective build method using something that there is an enormous oversupply of) to create temporary (5 year) studio accomodation for people who are homeless on a piece of land that cannnot have permanent housing built on it until the council can afford the clean up activity.

Sounds like a bloody sensible decision to me - low capital investment, significant benefit to thecouncil & the homeless folks (higher quality housing, and cheaper than putting them into B&B's), and using land that would otherwise sit empty.

+10

If it's good enough for your armed forces abroad, oil workers, its good enough for you.

I'd live in a container house if the other option was old council crap.

Nothing new in this, it is normal accommodation for construction workers in Thailand, Philippians and Malaysia.

+ 1

Happily live in one if the outlook and the outside environment was good.

Good stop gap for a month to a couple of years.

Interior space is overrated and can be compensated for by outlook. Yachts are nothing more than shipping containers.

A very small pioneering one. Give the short video time.

Edited by LiveinHope

Hpc'ers having been calling for this for yrs. It's old news

They need to bury some in the ground for thermal mass (start your 'bury to let' empire) & clad above ground with external insulation. A metal box is a heat sink.

Edit: Anyone got any info on shipping containers being converted into floating houseboats ? I imagine you could line with concrete

& add some pointed ends for a basic one.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Let's hope the idea of allowing people to put up homes catches on.

Although in this case they are only allowing themselves to do it, it's still a start.

Interesting development. I live in Brighton and I can tell you that a well-designed shipping container would be a damn sight better than a lot of what passes for accommodation in the Private Rented Sector here. For some telling stats re: Brighton;s housing crisis, check this out:

http://www.planetpropertyblog.co.uk/2011/02/10/brighton-the-worst-place-to-live-in-england/

From the comments:

Jeremy Hardy said, “Brighton is a very tolerant city but with no one to be tolerant of!”

So true! Was much more interesting when it was grungier and grimier and full of hippies, imo.