House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Any Views On Arm?

Do any of you technical lot have a view on ARM over the past 12 months. It has soared on the back of being the chip design of choice for various mobile phones and tablets.

Basically it has doubled since about last August.

But, from a technical perspetive, does it look toppy?

With massive growth still to come this year in smartphones and tablets ARM should benefit it enormously but has it gone parabolic much like AAPL did?

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?cid=14002991

I prefer Blink (BLNX.L) for potential. Super growth company with a good trading update just released and results on 13th May. Seems to be being held back to some disappointing news over a year again and maybe assocation with Autonomy (this company was spun off from Autonomy). DYOR and I do own some :rolleyes:

I prefer Blink (BLNX.L) for potential. Super growth company with a good trading update just released and results on 13th May. Seems to be being held back to some disappointing news over a year again and maybe assocation with Autonomy (this company was spun off from Autonomy). DYOR and I do own some :rolleyes:

Thanks, but I was just interested in what the technical gurus on here think about ARM and then I was going to throw in my tuppence view of ARM on a technology side - may as well do that now.

If you buy a Galaxy or Apple smartphone you buy a device with a chip in it that ARM makes money from. The new Nexus, as per the current one, will have ARM chip designs in them. The new Galaxy S4 has an ARM chip design in it. Sales of both the S4 and the Nexus are exploding and not contracting.

Buy an ipad and you get a chip in it that ARM makes money from.

At the moment Intel is really no-where in the mobile device marketplace. It is trying to get into them but, for this year, ARM looks like being the only game in

So I am just curious what the financial gurus on here think looking at the financial side of things/charts.

I am just curious and have no intention to buy ARM. Just interested what all the clever chartists and PE people think.

ARM is my biggest holding. Biggest because it's more than ten-bagged since I bought at under 90p, less than five years ago. Part of the recent rise is that the market has come to the realisation that Otellini's (Intel) threats to take a big bite of ARM's market isn't credible.

It's a great company, at the heart of an amazing ecosystem of licensees (think Microsoft in the glory days of the PC - and it has a better product than MS ever had). Plus, it has the growing advantage of low power consumption compared to mainstream rivals.

The drawback of buying today is the high price. If I thought their growth depended on smartphones and tablets I'd have long-since taken my profits. It needs - and will find - new areas of growth to justify today's price. And a corollary of the high price is that just one poor set of results could send it tumbling.

At today's price, I hold but I'm not buying more.

ARM is my biggest holding. Biggest because it's more than ten-bagged since I bought at under 90p, less than five years ago. Part of the recent rise is that the market has come to the realisation that Otellini's (Intel) threats to take a big bite of ARM's market isn't credible.

It's a great company, at the heart of an amazing ecosystem of licensees (think Microsoft in the glory days of the PC - and it has a better product than MS ever had). Plus, it has the growing advantage of low power consumption compared to mainstream rivals.

The drawback of buying today is the high price. If I thought their growth depended on smartphones and tablets I'd have long-since taken my profits. It needs - and will find - new areas of growth to justify today's price. And a corollary of the high price is that just one poor set of results could send it tumbling.

At today's price, I hold but I'm not buying more.

Yes, the Intel aim of getting into ARM's market is currently just hot air. Even if Intel did a massive turn-around today it would still be well over a year before they could even begin to compete.

People just don't care whether their phone or tablet has an 'Intel Inside' sticker on it.