House Price Crash Forum
copydude

Ryanair Fined 770,000 Euros

REUTERS

MILAN (Reuters) - Italy's competition watchdog slapped a 400,000 euro ($521,200) fine on Irish budget airline Ryanair for falling down on commitments to simplify online ticket sales.

The fine follows a similar reprimand by the Netherlands Consumer Authority last month which fined Ryanair 370,000 euros for hidden costs associated with tickets purchased online by Dutch travellers.

In the period December 1-February 7, Ryanair introduced at the end of the online booking process a 2 percent processing fee on a series of credit cards, the antitrust body said.

It said ticket prices should be "clearly and fully indicated from the very first contact with the consumer in such a way as to make the final price immediately clear," it said.

Too funny. Ryanair isn't even clear about where it flies to.

But still, quite heavy fines. Considering all the price gouging at airports, the credit card fee is relatively trivial.

REUTERS

Too funny. Ryanair isn't even clear about where it flies to.

But still, quite heavy fines. Considering all the price gouging at airports, the credit card fee is relatively trivial.

Terrible airline, constantly doing their best to confuse customers and sting them with fines.

I was stung on the old boarding pass scam. Printed the outward pass, didn't print the return pass and had to pay £60.00 to board a flight I'd already paid for. Little bit excessive I think. I remember everyone on the flight moaning about something. Never again.

Terrible airline, constantly doing their best to confuse customers and sting them with fines.

I was stung on the old boarding pass scam. Printed the outward pass, didn't print the return pass and had to pay £60.00 to board a flight I'd already paid for. Little bit excessive I think. I remember everyone on the flight moaning about something. Never again.

I wouldn't put it down to being a scam, more your failure to read a contract.

I quote, directly from the horse's mouth;

ONLINE CHECK-IN

YOU MUST CHECK-IN ONLINE AND PRINT YOUR BOARDING PASS ON AN INDIVIDUAL A4 PAGE AND PRINT YOUR BOARDING PASS FOR PRESENTATION AT BOTH AIRPORT SECURITY AND AT THE BOARDING GATE.

Any passenger failing to present their online boarding pass at airport security or at the boarding gate will be charged a Boarding Card Re-issue Fee of £70/€70 per person/per one way flight at the airport self service kiosk or ticket desk. This facility is available up to 40 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure.

IMPORTANT –All NON EU/EEA citizens must have their travel documents checked and online boarding pass stamped at the Ryanair Visa/Document Check Desk before going through airport security. In addition all passengers departing from Moroccan airports must present their Boarding Pass at the local airport check-in facility.

We recommend that passengers who are checking in baggage arrive at the airport at least 2 hours prior to the scheduled departure time.

No changes can be made to the passenger name, flight date/time/route, once online check-in has taken place.

AIRPORT SELF SERVICE KIOSK AND BAG DROP DEADLINES:

All Airport Self Service Kiosks and Bag Drop desks open 2 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure time and close strictly 40 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure time.

And yes its cheap, no frills.

I bet you complain a whole lot more on a BA flight that gets you a 'free coffee and nibble', except the flight costs you hundreds more.

Edited by cashinmattress

I dont think anyone actually likes ryanair, and given a viable alternative I will always choose another airline, however, for this summers holiday, the total cost of Ryanair flights is circa £500 for the family comapred with £1500 for the alternative. Too much a of a price difference to ignore, so just going to have to suck it up and hope I don't do anything wrong and get hit with a fine / ransom.

I bet you complain a whole lot more on a BA flight that gets you a 'free coffee and nibble', except the flight costs you hundreds more.

Nice to have someone from RyanAir's PR department.

Absolutely my error, but charging £60.00 a person (now £70.00) to print a bit of paper for a flight thats already been paid for, I think thats excessive.

I personally wouldn't fly BA, but I've generally had better experiences with budget flights on EasyJet, Monarch etc etc.

If it was a grand, you'd think that was fine too if it was in the contract? Or if the piece of paper was lost, or stolen?

Massively disproportionate penalties for minor infractions seems to be the UK way, gleefully supported by much of the population. Sad.

They do try to sting you for absolutely everything, but have to say that RyanAir can be great value. Recently had a week in Mallorca with a friend - about £40 return each. We stuck to the 10 kg hand baggage only* - definitely a squeeze and they are VERY strict on size of baggage (has to fit the measuring slot at the gate) , some poor bloke on the return was literally jumping up and down on his hand baggage to get it to fit. I'd say to anyone to read their conditions extremely carefully. To be entirely fair it was quite clear in the bumf that hand baggage size and weight had to include handbags etc. - plus it was very clear about the need to print boarding passes.

On the plus side, having pre-printed boarding passes and no hold luggage, we didn't even have to queue up to check in. Straight through to departures both ends.

*relatively easy if you're self-catering and have access to washing machine/iron. Wouldn't do it if staying in a hotel.

Edited by Mrs Bear

Nice to have someone from RyanAir's PR department.

Absolutely my error, but charging £60.00 a person (now £70.00) to print a bit of paper for a flight thats already been paid for, I think thats excessive.

I personally wouldn't fly BA, but I've generally had better experiences with budget flights on EasyJet, Monarch etc etc.

I think O'Leary is a kunt.

But still, folk need to be a bit more responsible for their choices.

Taking the HUGE, life changing action of booking an online flight...yet not reading the terms and conditions...

So why were they fined? I'd guess it's because their website is so bad it must have been designed to confuse.

So why were they fined? I'd guess it's because their website is so bad it must have been designed to confuse.

That's on the website... and it comes as an EMAIL and text...if you pay for the text.

It's directly from the confirmation of purchase...and staring you right in the face when you open it.

How you can miss it is beyond me.

Edited by cashinmattress

Once you add up all the hidden charges BA sometimes come out cheaper (for economy seats, obviously business class is a whole different ballgame)

That's on the website... and it comes as an EMAIL and text...if you pay for the text.

It's directly from the confirmation of purchase...and staring you right in the face when you open it.

How you can miss it is beyond me.

Maybe they do that now, but they didn't when they first introduced the print your own boarding pass scam/scheme.

I dread using the Ryanair website. I just bought some tickets for elderly relatives yesterday. I defy anyone to use that website and argue that it is not deliberately made as user unfriendly as possible. Ryanair is the only major on-line trader I'm aware of that goes out of its way to make the ordering process painful and laden with traps. Other companies see support calls as a cost. Ryanair try to stuff you up so they can gouge you with additional fees. This is loan shark stuff.

This isn't about people expecting more than they pay for. This is about deceitful practices that cross the line into fraud in my personal opinion.

I wouldn't use them at all except for the fact that, in our case, my family needs to travel somewhere near to a particular airport in the middle of nowhere and there is no competition flying in there.

Edited by Nuggets Mahoney

Maybe they do that now, but they didn't when they first introduced the print your own boarding pass scam/scheme.

Whatever folk.

It's like you're being forced into spending £30 (or less) for a flight to Spain and beyond... less than a fillup for your auto!

They do try to sting you for absolutely everything, but have to say that RyanAir can be great value. Recently had a week in Mallorca with a friend - about £40 return each. We stuck to the 10 kg hand baggage only* - definitely a squeeze and they are VERY strict on size of baggage (has to fit the measuring slot at the gate) , some poor bloke on the return was literally jumping up and down on his hand baggage to get it to fit. I'd say to anyone to read their conditions extremely carefully. To be entirely fair it was quite clear in the bumf that hand baggage size and weight had to include handbags etc. - plus it was very clear about the need to print boarding passes.

On the plus side, having pre-printed boarding passes and no hold luggage, we didn't even have to queue up to check in. Straight through to departures both ends.

*relatively easy if you're self-catering and have access to washing machine/iron. Wouldn't do it if staying in a hotel.

never understood what a boarding pass is actually for.

For short haul, once you take into account the extras and the fact they actually fly to where you want to go, the likes of BA aren't THAT much more expensive. I've never complained on either BA or KLM. Well, on KLM once or twice, but never about the price.

I beleive you can pre print your boarding pass up to 15 days in advance.

No good if you are going to the middle of nowhere on a 16 day trip.

In that case, the charge is mandatory.

For short haul, once you take into account the extras and the fact they actually fly to where you want to go, the likes of BA aren't THAT much more expensive. I've never complained on either BA or KLM. Well, on KLM once or twice, but never about the price.

No, they are not. I agree. And KLM have luuuuvurly Dutch stewardesses! Love that blue uniform and leggy blondes.... I digress.

But the point is that somebody here didn't do their homework and is blaming the teacher.

I beleive you can pre print your boarding pass up to 15 days in advance.

No good if you are going to the middle of nowhere on a 16 day trip.

In that case, the charge is mandatory.

Oh, and you are going to be somewhere in this world that doesn't have a printer?

Do you travel so unprepared and unenlightened as well Boo?

EDIT: when this happens, being away too long or lost it, I get the employer or hotel to print it for me. Never, ever been an issue.

Edited by cashinmattress

Oh, and you are going to be somewhere in this world that doesn't have a printer?

yes.. i might wish to go backpacking in the Dordogne, or Eurocamping in Nice...anywhere where IM HAVING A FRACKING HOLIDAY AND NOT SPENDING TWO HOURS BOOKING A FRACKING PC WITH A PRINTER THAT FRACKING WORKS, UNPACKING ALL MY TRAVEL DOCS, MY PASSWORD MEMOIRE AND THE CREDIT CARD I USED TO MAKE THE PAYMENT,THEN FINDING THE GUY ON THE DESK CANT REPAIR THE PRINTER, THE TERMINAL SESSION HAS CLOSED AND MY PDF LOST. AND THATS AFTER TRECKING ALL THE WAY FROM MY SUNBED/POOL/DEN OF HOT SEX JUST TO SATISFY SOME CLERK AT A FRACKING AIRPORT.

yes.. i might wish to go backpacking in the Dordogne, or Eurocamping in Nice...anywhere where IM HAVING A FRACKING HOLIDAY AND NOT SPENDING TWO HOURS BOOKING A FRACKING PC WITH A PRINTER THAT FRACKING WORKS, UNPACKING ALL MY TRAVEL DOCS, MY PASSWORD MEMOIRE AND THE CREDIT CARD I USED TO MAKE THE PAYMENT,THEN FINDING THE GUY ON THE DESK CANT REPAIR THE PRINTER, THE TERMINAL SESSION HAS CLOSED AND MY PDF LOST. AND THATS AFTER TRECKING ALL THE WAY FROM MY SUNBED/POOL/DEN OF HOT SEX JUST TO SATISFY SOME CLERK AT A FRACKING AIRPORT.

Hear-No-Evil-See-No-Evil-Speak-No-Evil.jpg

EDIT: when this happens, being away too long or lost it, I get the employer or hotel to print it for me. Never, ever been an issue.

The boarding pass thing is something that might catch you out once but is avoidable if you have your wits about you. But it is clearly intended to catch people out

The website itself is laden with a confusing variety of buttons and dialogues and banners and deceptively worded guff that clearly is intended to get people to click on the wrong thing; make a mistake or order something they don't necessarily want. I missed a new 'opt out of paying for junk' button yesterday, the page wouldn't advance and even after I clicked the box the whole session locked out when I tried to pay for the flights. It's terrible, just plain terrible.

I've always found trying to get access to an internet connected machine with a printer whilst on holiday to be a real hassle. I'd certainly prefer not to have to run around wherever I am trying to find somewhere I can get my pass printed in order to avoid a punitive fee for my return journey.

But then again, I haven't flown Ryanair for about six years and will never do so again unless forced to by an emergency. They are scum and work on a business model of offering apparently cheap flights but making their customers jump through hoops or navigate a minefield to get them. If you actually want to fly to a major destination at a convenient time and pay for it with your regular credit card then they are often as expensive as, if not more expensive than, 'proper' airlines. Even other budget airlines offer a much nicer flying experience at similar prices, Easyjet springs to mind.

The boarding pass thing is something that might catch you out once but is avoidable if you have your wits about you. But it is clearly intended to catch people out

The website itself is laden with a confusing variety of buttons and dialogues and banners and deceptively worded guff that clearly is intended to get people to click on the wrong thing; make a mistake or order something they don't necessarily want. I missed a new 'opt out of paying for junk' button yesterday, the page wouldn't advance and even after I clicked the box the whole session locked out when I tried to pay for the flights. It's terrible, just plain terrible.

my point is the boarding pass thing WILL catch you out if your flights are too far apart. That has gotta be deliberate.

O'Leary has a history of throwing his toys out of his pram at news like this and has pulled flights from certain airports before where it is not to his financial advantage...

This is yet to play out fully but I bet the holiday home owners in these Countries are sweating.

In other news make way for never before heard of places in Poland and Latvia to become the next city break hot spots.....