House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

£20K A Year - To Test Waterslides....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2314175/The-worlds-best-summer-job-Lucky-student-lands-position-travelling-globe-WATER-SLIDE-TESTER.html

Jammy sod, but even so...

A lucky university student today said his dreams had 'come true' after he landed a job as an international water slide tester. Seb Smith, 22, from Cheddar, Somerset, beat off competition from 2,000 applicants to fill the £20,000-a-year role with holiday company First Choice. He will now spend the whole summer travelling to exotic locations across the globe where he will ride and rate the company's most exhilarating chutes.

The design technology student will visit sun-soaked holiday locations like Majorca, Turkey, Egypt and even Jamaica, staying at the firm's 20 Splash World resorts over a six-month period. Mr Smith, who studies at the University of Leeds, today described his summer job as a 'dream come true'.

'I'm absolutely over the moon to be chosen as the new slide tester - and can't wait to get started in my new job,' he said.

'I can't believe I'll be travelling the world judging slides based on the biggest splash and adrenaline factor.

'It's going to be amazing and I'm really looking forward to being part of the team and to sharing my experiences with holidaymakers via Twitter and Facebook.'

Mr Smith was picked for the adrenaline-packed role after battling against four other finalists at the five-star Iberotel Makadi Saraya hotel in Hurghada, Egypt. He will now be given a six-month contract with all overseas travel expenses paid on top of his £20,000 salary. And as a reward for all his 'hard-work' at the end of the contract he will receive a seven-night holiday for two staying at an all-inclusive resort.

Luke Gaskins, head of Holiday Innovation at First Choice, said: 'We're thrilled to have Seb as our new slide tester and to welcome him as part of the First Choice team.

'We were impressed by his enthusiasm and skills at every stage of our search and at the final it was clear that we'd found the ideal person for the role of slide tester.

'Seb is going to be a key part of the team who will help us to give our SplashWorld customers the best all inclusive water park experience possible and we can't wait for him to get sliding.'

The tour operator advertised the post after their last water slide tester Tommy Lynch, 33, from Liverpool, hung up his trunks after four years in the role to move to a new job. Potential candidates were told they needed to be fun-loving, passionate and enthusiastic as well as 'mad about waterparks.'

Additional job description information said applicants must be 'willing to travel', 'comfortable in swim-wear' and 'happy to get wet at work.'

Private sector money is never wasted. Footballer wages are another prime example :rolleyes:

Private sectors waste their own money, rather than mine and if they waste too much, they go bankrupt (even footballers).

The state waste tax payers (me including) and when it goes near bankrupt, we all pay.

Those are the differences.

Private sectors waste their own money, rather than mine and if they waste too much, they go bankrupt (even footballers).

The state waste tax payers (me including) and when it goes near bankrupt, we all pay.

Those are the differences.

Unless they're a bank, arms manufacturer, farmer...

This is surely a marketing exercise though.

That piece in the DM listing all their resorts must be worth a good part of his 10K on its own.

Yep, they will get a lot of PR mileage out of this 'position' that will make the £10k a sound investment.

Since when did First Choice think the quality of a water slide experience was a major factor in choosing a holiday?

Bet some numpty with a media studies non degree thought that one up!!

Private sector money is never wasted. Footballer wages are another prime example :rolleyes:

What if everything were spent on strictly utilitarian projects with zero bells and whistles and no frills.

How very rich we would all be then!

Why do we spend money on sports, pets, haircuts and flowers.

What a terrible waste.

Yes indeed - and we are talking about it, so it worked.

Agreed, and it's cost them £10,000 in wages and a few air fares. It would probably have cost them more to place one half-page advertisement in the Daily Wail which wouldn't have garnered half the attention.

Went on one of these once. Every time you go over the joints on the pipes it hurts.

There was a thing called bomb bay. You went in a capsule and then someone else pressed a button to release you down a massive chute. I wouldn't go on that one, but went on the identical one next to it. Must be a control issue.

I went on a 600 quid all inclusive with my wife, brother/wife/niece, and two of our friends in Ibiza last October. Not quite the best ever holiday I've been on, but I still had a cracking time, due to the fact the hotel had a 'water park'. Pretty simple, but little bro and I pretty quickly figured that there was fun to be had on their biggest slide- a little 'hop' off the top of the second drop of the slide bought you a good 2 seconds of airtime, a bumpy landing, and an enormous splash in the pool! Great fun for a pair of attentention/thrill seeking twats like us, and I couldn't reallty have cared less about the couple of elbow grazes I acquired in the process.

Unfortunately my fat and 2" taller than me little bro was far faster than me on the waterslide races organised by the hotel 'fun police' , and picked up a certificate for his trouble. I beat him at boules though, so we ended the campaign even.

BTW, Ibiza is a lovely holiday destination, even in October. If you can get a cheap package there, do it, you'll enjoy yourself. Lovely island, and I'll go back once I've 'done' Majorca.