House Price Crash Forum
buyertolet

Is It Usual For The Ea To Refuse To Pass On The Vendor's Contact Details?

I hope to buy a house, which is currently being let out to students.

I have some specific questions regarding the house, and, so far, the agent hasn't been very helpful (for example, telling me that "she thinks the house has been on the market (with another agent) since february" when, in fact, property-bee shows that it has been on the market since last November.

Given that there is a previous estate agent involved, it does seem to make sense for me to communicate directly with the vendor. But, as they don't live in the property, I don't know how to contact them, as the EA won't give me their details.

Is this normal? Is there a crafty way to, at least, find out the name of the vendor? The house is currently being let-out via an agency.

And a connected question...

What would be the reason for a house to, at first, be advertised by one EA and now be advertised by two (including the original)?

Many thanks!

I have some specific questions regarding the house, and, so far, the agent hasn't been very helpful (for example, telling me that "she thinks the house has been on the market (with another agent) since february" when, in fact, property-bee shows that it has been on the market since last November.

Given that there is a previous estate agent involved, it does seem to make sense for me to communicate directly with the vendor. But, as they don't live in the property, I don't know how to contact them, as the EA won't give me their details.

Is this normal? Is there a crafty way to, at least, find out the name of the vendor? The house is currently being let-out via an agency.

What would be the reason for a house to, at first, be advertised by one EA and now be advertised by two (including the original)?

Many thanks!

It was priced too high, hence didn't sell, 1st EA possibly suggested reducing, vendor indignantly rejected 'giving it away', thought agent 2 might have magic powers for shifting overpriced properties.

Happens all the time.

But it's possible that EA 1 was just rubbish, poor photos, no floor plan, hopeless at returning calls, etc. Also not unknown.

Have you checked on the Landregistry website for the owners details? I don't know if they still show that information but a few years ago when I was actively looking to buy we used to check theire first for any clues. It used to give the banks details if a mortgage as well.

Multiple EA's can mean that the owner does want to sell but that they believe the right EA or advertising will result in a better sales figure at the end.

If the EA refuses to give you the information then advise them that you'll go to the land registry website and do a title search and obtain the information that way. It costs £3. At that point they'll either give you the information or not. If they don't then 15 mins of investigative work on the internet will likely get you a current address for the vendor. It's then up to you whether you wish to post a letter through their letterbox explaining the situation... :)

Not sure I quite follow this part. Just because a previous EA is involved, why should it make more sense for you to communicate with the vendor?

Fairly normal I'd say. Most of my clients are not going to want me giving out their name and address to just anyone who asks, even if it may lead to a sale. However, if it were a vendor of mine I'd ask the vendor if they wished me to pass on their details to a prospective purchaser and go from there.

Many thanks!

Fairly simple, it hasn't sold so the vendor is bringing in a second EA in the hope of increasing their chances of finding a buyer.

Not sure I quite follow this part. Just because a previous EA is involved, why should it make more sense for you to communicate with the vendor?

Fairly normal I'd say. Most of my clients are not going to want me giving out their name and address to just anyone who asks, even if it may lead to a sale. However, if it were a vendor of mine I'd ask the vendor if they wished me to pass on their details to a prospective purchaser and go from there.

Fairly simple, it hasn't sold so the vendor is bringing in a second EA in the hope of increasing their chances of finding a buyer.

Thank you for your reply.

My main reason for wanting to contact the vendor direct, is that the EA seem to have a rather vague knowledge of what happened to the house prior to their involvement.

For eg. I asked them how long it had been on the market. They said they took it on at the end of Feb. I said "but how long has it been on the market". They said "I think since the beginning of Feb". I said "are you sure?". They said "yes". I then discovered Property Bee (which is awesome), which shows it to have been on the market since November.

This conversation lead me to want simply to communicate directly with the vendor, in order to avoid the somewhat fluffy intermediary.

Perhaps I need to be pushier with the EA?

Many thanks.

The vendor might not want to be bothered with you, at least until his agent tells him you look like a serious buyer. He might have given explicit instructions to the agent. One important role of an agent is to stand between his clients and timewasters - which is what you look like if you start asking questions of dubious relevance.

Why would you need to ask the owner the length of time on the market?

Not sure how that figures. I've found that agents are deceptive with this myself i.e. property bee tells me a long history for a property and then even when they relist it through another agent I can still recognise the same flats/houses coming up every year with a new agent.

I've just accepted that as a fact of life.

The agent acts as a barrier between you and the owner and they want to keep that control. They think that they can influence the owner into accepting and rejecting offers.

Thank you for your reply.

My main reason for wanting to contact the vendor direct, is that the EA seem to have a rather vague knowledge of what happened to the house prior to their involvement.

For eg. I asked them how long it had been on the market. They said they took it on at the end of Feb. I said "but how long has it been on the market". They said "I think since the beginning of Feb". I said "are you sure?". They said "yes". I then discovered Property Bee (which is awesome), which shows it to have been on the market since November.

This conversation lead me to want simply to communicate directly with the vendor, in order to avoid the somewhat fluffy intermediary.

Perhaps I need to be pushier with the EA?

Many thanks.

When was the last time I had a curry out?

I think it was in Feb.

Actually it was November.

It's not a conspiracy.

Put an offer in and walk away.

A watched pot will not boil