House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

How To Say

Writing wedding invites. Want people to know there's no free bar. But don't want to say "We're not paying for anyone to get drunk" ... Nice ways? Or just leave it out?

Friend has suggested we say something like "Wide range of drinks at reasonable prices at the bar" ...

Writing wedding invites. Want people to know there's no free bar. But don't want to say "We're not paying for anyone to get drunk" ... Nice ways? Or just leave it out?

Friend has suggested we say something like "Wide range of drinks at reasonable prices at the bar" ...

Are you buying/providing any drinks for guests ? if so, say what you are doing and not what your aren't doing.

"There will be a glass of champagne for you when you arrive at the reception"

or

"There will be a free glass of wine for every guest with your meal"

or

The first drink after your meal will be provided by the married couple - or 'whoever is paying'.

You'd need someway of policing the latter however, a stub on the invitation perhaps that is retained by the bar staff, but a bit 'crass' admittedly

Try the subtle approach with"

Bring your own bottle, and p*ss the licensed bar staff off who are still hoping to make a killing from anyone who forgets or runs out.

Congratulations btw :)

Do you really need to say? Free bars have been the exception in my experience (apart from Greece which is free everything for hundreds, nay, a thousand people).

Try the subtle approach with"

Bring your own bottle, and p*ss the licensed bar staff off who are still hoping to make a killing from anyone who forgets or runs out.

Congratulations btw :)

Very good

Personally, I would only ever consider a self-catered tent for a wedding though. But I'm a cheapskate

The wedding industry is insane. I know a young couple with limited means who think it's necessary to spend 6k on the reception for what, 6 hours - simply because that's what their peer group has done. That 6k could go into a rainy day fund or a savings account for when their 3 yr-old reaches 21.

But I concur, congratulations to the couple.

i have never been to a wedding with a total free bar. went to one where soft drinks were free, but now-a-days that'll cost more than the alcohol would.

to me, my friends and family its a paid for bar unless stated. the only free drink expected it a glass of wine/soft drink for the dinner and a glass of something sparkling for the toast, and thats it.

I agree with others that a free bar is not necessarily expected. I cant believe that some of you have not been to a free bar wedding though, Probably half the weddings I have been to have had a free bar for all, or virtually all night. Mine was free to guests, but fairly expensive for me. I bought the booze from majestic and just paid for the bar staff, worked out loads cheaper, and I had a pile of booze left over to take home.

We're not having speeches.

Or at least haven't planned any.

My son is giving me away (He's got some jokes lined up for that if he is pressed but he is only just 18 and a bit shy)

and we'd like it to be really informal. It's a buffet too.

Have toyed with the idea of taking a wii though and setting that up for some fun :)

And a scrabble set.

Or would that be too weird?

Free bars are the exception I think so no need to point it out. The wedding industry is indeed insanely price. I/we spent stupid money.

My son is giving me away (He's got some jokes lined up for that if he is pressed but he is only just 18 and a bit shy)

Have toyed with the idea of taking a wii though and setting that up for some fun :)

And a scrabble set.

I'm working away from home at the moment and staying with a posh/scruffy potato farming family who do a little B&B on the side.

They did a family wedding themselves in a marquee on the farm. Bangers & mash. Crates of fizz bought in France. All the crockery/cutlery was sourced from local charity shops. Lots of ribbon & flowers and the photos looked amazing.

Wii - great idea. Make sure you have a big screen.

Congratulations!

I'd say that 50% of wedding receptions I've been to have had free bars (OK, that's 1 out of 2, I'm not exactly sociable, one of those was my brother's wedding).

And a scrabble set.

Sounds like a good plan.

From what you are describing and if your guests are of a similar outlook to you, I don't think anyone will expect a free bar. Just give them a glass of sparkling wine on arrival.

it's about a relaxed and fun time. A chill-out occasion for everyone.

Russian weddings always seem to have good after dinner games

And this could be fun for later on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x9zZiuo_3U

Many congrats.

Take it the camping trip is the honeymoon? Exactly, what we did.

Weddings are for you and your other half - not anyone else. Our wedding came to a grand total of £500. The biggest expense was a dress for the missus. Nice Indian restaurant afterwards - everyone paid for their own.

We did tell everyone not to bother with any gifts though. We have enough crap in the house.

Many congrats.

Weddings are for you and your other half - not anyone else. Our wedding came to a grand total of £500. The biggest expense was a dress for the missus. Nice Indian restaurant afterwards - everyone paid for their own.

We did tell everyone not to bother with any gifts though. We have enough crap in the house.

Best advice so far

And a scrabble set.

Have you toyed with the idea of giving everyone a guided tour of the HPC website and some of the key characters, like erranta, during the reception?

I think I'm right in saying that everyone here would agree that this is a brilliant idea.

(Many congrats by the way!).

Congratulations SarahBell.....

Put on the invite..... If you are bringing a gift and I hope you are then I would like to make it clear that anyone who spends over £100 on us is entitled to one free drink. (Please provide receipt)....

Anyone spending more than £200 will also get to eat free of charge.....

Presents will be opened during reception and held up (Auction style) so everyone will be aware of how much you like us.

:lol:

Seriously... Just mark down as cash bar... Free bar is dangerous anyway.... If anyone is offended (and they won`t be) then they are not the sort of folks you want to celebrate your wedding with you and would not have deserved to get merry at your expense anyway...

Hope your day is the best....

Many congrats.

the camping is the holiday we'll be having but it'll be some time after the wedding ...

Its going to be more than that! The registrar costs more than the reception will. Well nearly!

Have put one of them poems in about having been together a long time and no obligation to get us gifts.

:)

Congratulations SarahBell.....

Put on the invite..... If you are bringing a gift and I hope you are then I would like to make it clear that anyone who spends over £100 on us is entitled to one free drink. (Please provide receipt)....

Anyone spending more than £200 will also get to eat free of charge.....

Presents will be opened during reception and held up (Auction style) so everyone will be aware of how much you like us.

:lol:

Seriously... Just mark down as cash bar... Free bar is dangerous anyway.... If anyone is offended (and they won`t be) then they are not the sort of folks you want to celebrate your wedding with you and would not have deserved to get merry at your expense anyway...

Hope your day is the best....

Thanks ! Love that idea hehehe

I think posh gift lists are really annoying - who wants a set of matching dinner service stuff? (Don't have room for more clutter and it'd have to be used all the time to earn a place in the cupboard! )

Congrats SarahBell...

Personally I would never assume a free bar so I also wouldn't feel the need to mention there's not one, iyswim.

Just put on the invites ‘free alcohol.

Then buy around 50 litres of pure ethanol and plonk it on the bar – what doesn’t get drunk you can use for your camping stove!!!

*assuming you buy/have a liquid one!