House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RichardW

Rightmover Hoover

Hi, a few weeks ago I downloaded a program from this forum called Right_Mover_Hoover . I can't find the original thread so can't find out you wrote it. Anyway, I thought I'd take a look at it last night but JBuilder won't load the Java files. Has anybody successfully compiled it, and if so with which compiler ?

Thanks,

Richard.

Looks as if you're in luck Richard as the source files are in the archive as well.

Download Eclipse and import the project into it.

The project is really poorly packaged and you'll have to do a lot of tidiying up before you'll be able to get it to compile I'm afraid.

To answer your original question, Java 1.4.x will do the trick as far as I can make out...

Thanks, that's a great help. I've written a couple of programs to do the web scraping already (one for foxtons and one for rightmove) but in Delphi but they are a bit messy. I wanted to have a look and see somebody elses implementation, but I'm no Java programmer (I prefer Delphi or if I must, VB). Why JBuilder ? I'm a fan of the Borland IDE and already had it installed.

Richard.

OK...

You will need to understand Java in order to recify many of the packaging shortfalls I'm afraid. I've already noticed that many of the references are broken and JBuilder should confirm that for you, if you ever manage to get round Borland's proprietary hurdles that is.

I've got it all set up in Eclipse within 5 minutes and the IDE's pointing me to every problem that the project possesses of which there are many.

There are even some missing import statements in there, so beware...

As I said, if I find time, I let you know how I get on with it...

P.S. I used to like programming in C, C++, Pascal (i.e. Delphi) and VB but that was before I discovered Java of course... B)

Thanks, I'll download Eclipse and have a look. As much as I love Delphi it is about time I accepted I'm the only person in the world who seems to use it. Maybe this could be an opportunity to drag my skills into the 21st century.

Richard.

For Java Geeks.... Netbeans 5.0 beta is awesome. Especially if you have an ant based build script for the project.

Try it, even though I've used Eclipse professionally for 2 years, I still prefer Netbeans for almost everything I do personally. (IMHO the only thing Eclipse does better than Netbeans is its integration with souce code control systems).

NB 5.0 has excellent built in XML capabilities (I do a lot of XSLT) and built in web server for web development with framework wizards for struts and JSF