House Price Crash Forum

Money Box Live (Wed 24Th April 3Pm, Radio 4)

jfk

HOLA441
HOLA442

I think the only time they mentioned that prices might be too high was when reading out an e-mail, the woman 'expert' just trotted out the old line about not enough houses/land and supply and demand.

How much does she think houses would be if the banks only leant out, say, 2.5x joint earnings?

They simply refuse to see the wood for the trees. <_<

good job I wasn't listening to it live otherwise the radio would have been through the window!

... what an utter load of sh1te.

briefly touched on house prices being high and then a multiple of salaries but then glossed over it ... and on with the next load of BS.

God, joe public is an utter utter cretin.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I think the only time they mentioned that prices might be too high was when reading out an e-mail, the woman 'expert' just trotted out the old line about not enough houses/land and supply and demand.

How much does she think houses would be if the banks only leant out, say, 2.5x joint earnings?

They simply refuse to see the wood for the trees. <_<

That was actually my comment they read out about the real issue being high house prices and not lending, deposits or mortgage availablility.

Interesting that they didn't read out it in it's entirety though - the part they missed out that immediately preceded what they read was...

"There are so many things stacked up against the first-time buyer it really is demoralising, and nobody ever seems to care enough to truly help or acknowledge the real issue. Only occasionally in the media are there debates such as these to highlight the issues for first-time buyers, however, many of the experts are not representative of first-time buyers and instead simply have a connection, or worse, a vested interest in selling mortgages or houses."

Can't think why they didn't read that bit. ;)

Disappointed by the 'expert' response, but I guess it was to be expected.

HOLA446

I'm still not sure about that Bruce. I think you may be overestimating most of them. I'm sure a minority at the top can see the whole picture, sure, but these people on Money Box Live today? Not sure. I think they may be real morons, including and particularly the BBC presenter.

I think the best way of educating the sheeple (especially those already on the "ladder") is to explain that when prices are rising the rungs on the housing "ladder" are wider. It's just hard to explain it to them in a sentence to make it obvious to them. What could get the penny to drop for the masses?

HOLA447

Don't know about anyone else, but I've seen masses of stuff in the papers recently about prices being far too high/unaffordable, they need to be allowed to drop as best way to help FTBs. It was kicked off by Osborne's daft idea in the budget - and if it's kicking off such a response maybe it wasn't so daft.

Yes, but how often does it have to happen? Remember the same thing in 2011.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Don't know about anyone else, but I've seen masses of stuff in the papers recently about prices being far too high/unaffordable, they need to be allowed to drop as best way to help FTBs. It was kicked off by Osborne's daft idea in the budget - and if it's kicking off such a response maybe it wasn't so daft.

A couple of years ago I would have gone along with that but now I think they see the only way they can increase GDP is through HPI

If there is no growth there will be another down grade of the UK credit rating ,and they know that will be game over for them as far as getting reelected

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Whatever your question, presenter Ruth Alexander will be joined by:

Ray Boulger from broker John Charcol

Paula John from Your Mortgage Magazine

David Hollingworth from broker London and Country

It might have been helpful if the bbc had included a leader from "industry" to explain why First Time Buyers (or anyone else for that matter) should buy into housing at bloated prices and how house prices at the current bloated level is good for rebalancing the UK economy.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Welcome to HPC, and what an opportune moment to sign up!

But perhaps you're a long-time lurker before your moment of semi-glory?

Yep, long-time lurker first-time noise maker.

Had to at least try, even though it made no difference at all to the predictable spiel. But then ain't no real glory in a semi anyway. :D

We need more noise though, a lot more.

HOLA4414