House Price Crash Forum

Money Box Live (Wed 24Th April 3Pm, Radio 4)

jfk

HOLA441

Just heard an advert for the following programme, should be interesting listening! I'll be on the school run so will catch it up later

Link here

First-Time Buyers

Duration:

30 minutes

First broadcast:

Wednesday 24 April 2013

Trying to buy your first home? To work out what it could cost and ask about the schemes which may help, call 03700 100 444 from 1pm to 3.30pm on Wednesday.

According to the Land Registry the average price of a house is now £162,606 and the average price of a flat or maisonette is £153,687.

Rising house prices are making it tough for first time buyers but there are a number of options which could help you onto the property ladder.

Many lenders have designed mortgages which allow family members to offset their own savings to reduce the size of the mortgage debt, or to act as guarantor, boosting the amount which can be borrowed.

In his March budget, Chancellor George Osborne launched 'Help to Buy' to assist would be home owners with smaller deposits. You may also have heard of other government backed schemes such as 'New Buy' and 'First Buy'.

If you are considering the various ways of buying your first home, how much you could borrow, what the monthly repayments will be and whether you're are eligible for help, call 03700 100 444 from 1pm to 3.30pm on Wednesday.

Whatever your question, presenter Ruth Alexander will be joined by:

Ray Boulger from broker John Charcol

Paula John from Your Mortgage Magazine

David Hollingworth from broker London and Country

Call 03 700 100 444 on Wednesday. Phone lines are open between 1pm and 3.30pm. Standard geographic charges apply. Calls from mobiles may be higher

Presenter: Ruth Alexander

Producer: Diane Richardson

Anyone going to call in / comment?

HOLA442

No can do as at work ... however, I would urge anyone with the ability to call in, to call in. We MUST start making more noise ... yes, it is nerve-wracking but after the first few lines it should get easier given a few written-down pertient points.

Any chance of someone who is listening to put up some highlights (not that I will be watching ;) !) and letting us know if it worth listening to or if it is throw the radio out of the window bad?!

HOLA443

Just heard an advert for the following programme, should be interesting listening! I'll be on the school run so will catch it up later

Link here

Anyone going to call in / comment?

Ruth Alexander is joined by three "experts" who have a vested interest in getting you to buy a property. Wonderful.

Edit: To add inverted commas

Edited by Eddie_George

HOLA444

Hello Money Box Live!

I am a potential FTB. Most if not all of the problems facing first time buyers would be eliminated if prices were allowed to drop to historic averages. Instead, we have policies designed to keep prices high, which exacerbate and have prolonged the problems of affordability, not to mention the accompanying damage to our economic competitiveness and family lives. Unless and until such policies are halted, we will continue to find ourselves in a situation where few people can afford to buy.

I do not wish to commit to taking on a 25 year committment in an environment of historically-high prices, declining real wages and record low interest rates. It is potentially an explosive mixture.

HOLA445

I'm a bit bamboozled by all the wider economic theories on this site, but the questions are quite simple.

What's the average wage (about 25K per annum?) So they can afford approx 75K for a mortgage? Maybe 100K?

How many people are a month away from defaulting on their mortgage? (about 800k?)

How many people are in negative equity? (No idea)

And that basic bit of maths that if house prices increase by any percentage you have to spend significantly more to buy the next one (presuming you're moving up).

There are probably more, but I'd like to hear any programme that discusses house prices backed up with facts rather than rhetoric - wouldn't we all?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

BUMP

... if anyone can listen to this / comment on the program it would help get the HPC message out there - about to go on school run so can't do it myself :blink:

Whatever your question, presenter Ruth Alexander will be joined by:

Ray Boulger from broker John Charcol

Paula John from Your Mortgage Magazine

David Hollingworth from broker London and Country

Call 03 700 100 444 on Wednesday. Phone lines are open between 1pm and 3.30pm. Standard geographic charges apply. Calls from mobiles may be higher

Presenter: Ruth Alexander

Producer: Diane Richardson.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

TimeBandit used to be heroic at these call ins. Haven't seen him on the site recently though.

To be honest, these discussions are doomed to be anything but VI spin the minute they tell you who the experts are. Get Henry Prior, Nick Boles, Merryn SW and JD on, then things might get interesting.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I think the only time they mentioned that prices might be too high was when reading out an e-mail, the woman 'expert' just trotted out the old line about not enough houses/land and supply and demand.

How much does she think houses would be if the banks only leant out, say, 2.5x joint earnings?

They simply refuse to see the wood for the trees. <_<

HOLA4417

I think the only time they mentioned that prices might be too high was when reading out an e-mail, the woman 'expert' just trotted out the old line about not enough houses/land and supply and demand.

How much does she think houses would be if the banks only leant out, say, 2.5x joint earnings?

Yes, I switched off at that point. Very poor IMPO.

HOLA4418

Oh, they see it alright.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I'm still not sure about that Bruce. I think you may be overestimating most of them. I'm sure a minority at the top can see the whole picture, sure, but these people on Money Box Live today? Not sure. I think they may be real morons, including and particularly the BBC presenter.

Don't know about anyone else, but I've seen masses of stuff in the papers recently about prices being far too high/unaffordable, they need to be allowed to drop as best way to help FTBs. It was kicked off by Osborne's daft idea in the budget - and if it's kicking off such a response maybe it wasn't so daft.

HOLA4423

They can troll all they like about keeping prices high the simple truth is the system is broke and people (in the main) are not buying.

The Government Country cannot afford the crash hence the stalemate and the pulling of all the stops to keep the plates spinning.

If anyone wants to listen to this papp again the link is here..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s0dk9

HOLA4424

Don't know about anyone else, but I've seen masses of stuff in the papers recently about prices being far too high/unaffordable, they need to be allowed to drop as best way to help FTBs. It was kicked off by Osborne's daft idea in the budget - and if it's kicking off such a response maybe it wasn't so daft.

I believe this might be the case.

HOLA4425