House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cashinmattress

Hundreds Apply For Stoke-On-Trent £1 Houses

link

More than 600 people have applied to buy rundown homes in Stoke-on-Trent for £1 each, the city council has said.

Thirty-five derelict homes, mainly two-bedroom terraced properties, will initially be sold off in the Cobridge area, with a further 89 to follow.

Under the £3m project, the local authority is offering loans of up to £30,000 to help complete essential repairs on the houses.

Potential buyers have until 12 May to register their interest.

Stoke-on-Trent City Council said the initial 35 homes would be randomly allocated to the successful candidates.

Those already living in the city will be given priority.

In return for buying the properties, people will be required to renovate them and bring them back into use.

They will also have to commit to living in the homes for at least five years.

Councillor Janine Bridges, responsible for housing, said the scheme would "see a rundown area of the city transformed".

"The project will not only benefit the residents who are currently living next door to properties that have been vacant for some time, it will also give families moving into the homes the chance to take their first step on the property ladder," she added.

The council hopes to "build a community spirit" in the area and create "thriving neighbourhoods".

Last month, Liverpool City Council said more than 2,000 people had been in touch about buying the 20 homes during the week they were on offer.

_62997998_stokecouncilhouses.jpg

Surrounded by junkies... hmm. What a great deal!

I surprised that this is even legal. They need the bulldozers hook, not a B&Q's best MDF makeover kit.

FYI:google street view of area

Edited by cashinmattress

link

Surrounded by junkies... hmm. What a great deal!

I surprised that this is even legal. They need the bulldozers hook, not a B&Q's best MDF makeover kit.

FYI:google street view of area

Areas that are bad but can be made good again. With a whole street being renovated en masse, with a bit of zest and appetite to make improvements, you'd hope that this has a decent chance of being successful.

I wish more councils would do likewise under similar terms, assuming the properties are capable of being renovated without major works.

Areas that are bad but can be made good again. With a whole street being renovated en masse, with a bit of zest and appetite to make improvements, you'd hope that this has a decent chance of being successful.

I wish more councils would do likewise under similar terms, assuming the properties are capable of being renovated without major works.

Well, did you look about in the street view? Not a good neighborhood.

Or crime stats. If you don't mind a good bollocking from a methed out junkie, or mugging, its a great place to live.

stoke-on-trent/st1.asp?page=crime-map

Edited by cashinmattress

soon to be filled with the good people with £1 and £30k of debt to spend.

still, they have to commit to live there for 5 years....IC human rights lawsuits ahead

I agree it's a hole, no doubt whatsoever. But, the weight of numbers can change that. It'll require quite a steely midset though, there'll be huge issues to deal with. There's few places on earth troublemakers enjoy being less than busy, industrious neighbourhoods with lots of activity and life. See also the Welsh Streets in Liverpool, which were the subject of a high-profile campaign to save/renovate:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.388627,-2.958734&spn=0.008228,0.022724&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.38871,-2.957962&panoid=s-fxgl_ai3fHAp6PBWFuRw&cbp=12,298.56,,0,1.78

Edited by cheeznbreed

What a fantastic deal, well thought out.

HPC people should be prasing this.

For some of the perma-losers on here, it would be worth 'getting on your bikes' and putting a bid in, stoke is not that bad, equally commutable to either Manchester or Birmingham.

I think it's a good idea. We seem to have many threads on here complaining about the amount of empty homes and now that something is being done, people are complaining again. Yes, it's probably a shit hole. Is that why the houses are empty or because they are? I'd have though that all the homes being purchased and done up at the same time would do wonders to the area.

For some of the perma-losers on here, it would be worth 'getting on your bikes' and putting a bid in, stoke is not that bad, equally commutable to either Manchester or Birmingham.

FFS man. You can buy a 'liveable' house in the area for near 50 grand. Why bother.

A renovation will run you about the same to make it suitable, unless you do all the work yourself...

You can't polish a turd, and these places are that.

600 bidders, 35 homes. Any decent council that wants to seek value for money for taxpayers would sell to the highest bidder...But they will 'randomly' give them away. Not a labour council per chance is it?

I think it is. I imagine 35 home will go to less than 10 bidders, all buddies of council. Surely that contract is full of caveats.

Wait and see.

If the £30k were grants I think it would be a good deal. But for £30k debt I wouldn't go for it.

As it happens I wouldn't mind buying a really cheap house somewhere and retiring to live in the house but not on those terms I wouldn't. I'll carry on working.

If the £30k were grants I think it would be a good deal. But for £30k debt I wouldn't go for it.

As it happens I wouldn't mind buying a really cheap house somewhere and retiring to live in the house but not on those terms I wouldn't. I'll carry on working.

Most you can be is 30K negative equity. Seems like a decent bet to me. I would go further and maybe get some of the sensible applicants to interview the others and see who is suitable. Wouldn't be perfect but better than a free-for-all.

Hi

Still seems a step forward. Sell 'em cheap. I'm sure we could think of better ways but don't forget this is Labour territory - and they are slowly learning: its still far superior to Prezza's spend-£2bn-and-knock-them-down Pathfinder approach.

(I remember articles from Ireland where TPTB are trying to stop firesales of ghost estates: rathetr knock tghem down and try and prop up the price of whats left.)

How is this not good news? Come on HPCers, take a drink from the glass half full...

1. Red Light area
  2. Noisy
  3. Extremely close to Hanley shopping area
  4. Mine Blighted

The last one is important to one to consider, the Potteries are riddled with old mines, area is next to Festival Park which was originally home to a multitude of coal mines such as Hanley Big Pit, many of the older mines have been closed for over 60 years and more, that is a lot of subsidence waiting to happen as they didn't fill in old mines the same as they do these days!

It's probably a step forward, but compared to what? Why are they empty at the moment?

Are they council owned but the council doesn't have the cash to do them up?

It seems to be that people want to live there. Unless the buyers just think it's easy money, a council money giveaway, which it might be. What is it about councils that they never want the market value revealed? A simple auction would ensure some kind of value discovery.

They have to stay living in the home for five years

Reminded me of some wonderful affordable housing nearby, good housing part of a bigger new build housing estate.....only thing is as soon as all the 'affordable' housing was bought all but one was sold at the going rate for a large profit, so the 'affordable' housing was only affordable for some and for not much longer than a year, now there is no local 'affordable' housing left. ;)

I think it's a good idea. We seem to have many threads on here complaining about the amount of empty homes and now that something is being done, people are complaining again. Yes, it's probably a shit hole. Is that why the houses are empty or because they are? I'd have though that all the homes being purchased and done up at the same time would do wonders to the area.

I agree and I would buy one if I was homeless......abandoned derelict homes only invite people in to smash windows, chuck litter, loiter etc.......put the right people into them, give them a stake something they own, something they can improve on and help build broken communities....bring fresh life into an area.

Knocking them down to put people into new identical tower blocks or boxes will not work as effectively. ;)