House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

350,000 Bulgarians And Romanians Looking For Work In The Uk

Self employment is the only way they can work in the UK legitimately at present.

Yes indeed there are plenty of "self employed" young women from these countries plying their trade in my town and they aint selling cup cakes ...

Romania is quite dodgy, but Bulgaria is a lot worse. Romania has gang crime and a good serving of corruption but Bulgaria has proper mafia. I've been there and seen the blacked-out Mercedes that drive around the resorts but a colleague was telling me about the mafia stuff in everyday towns.

Well this is exactly the sort of "cultural enrichment" that these people are going to bring over. Normal business activities are almost unknown in proper (i.e. ex ussr and its subjugates) eastern european countries, instead welcome to protection payments for running a business, to backhanders for everything (from bribing your doctor to get better medicine, the police when they stop you for speeding, the official who decides what school your kid goes to etc etc etc) to every half decent looking woman doing a bit of whoring on the side to top up income, to an utterly abysmal service ethic from everyone from the person serving you in a cafe to the person selling you a train ticket, to not giving a flying f**** about the enviroment around you - fly tipping etc everywhere.

Yeah it's easy to put up with living 6 to a flat for a few months with the very high housing costs in the UK if there's a light at the end of the tunnel, that being being wealthy in your homeland. Not so good if a UK citizen trying to have a good quality of life or raise a family with no prospect of going home with wealth.

Best comment I've read for a while.

I would also take issue with the endless comments about the British being lazy. Some are, some aren't just like anywhere. I've just come back from working in Poland and found many of the Poles at the site I was working at to be among the most lazy, feckless people I've ever encountered. A big factor is motiviation. If working hard in the UK makes you a king in whatever village you come from in Eastern Europe then great. If working hard on min. wage gets you less than someone on benefits gets for sitting on the Playstation all day, it must be that bit harder to get out of bed in the morning and trudge through the drizzle to work.

Many may come to start businesses. A large proportion of the present Romanian community are self employed.

I feel uneasy about these figures as we don't know what questions were asked and by who.

What about all the Bulgarians And Romanians in other EU countries, are they going just to stay put?

That is only because until next year that is the only way they could have worked in this country by becoming self-employed.....that will all change. ;)

Many may come to start businesses. A large proportion of the present Romanian community are self employed.

I feel uneasy about these figures as we don't know what questions were asked and by who.

What about all the Bulgarians And Romanians in other EU countries, are they going just to stay put?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9896121/Up-to-one-in-three-Romanians-arrested-figures-show.html

Up to one in three Romanian migrants have been arrested, figures have showed, as the country ranked second in a list of foreigners held over serious offences.

Some 27,725 Romanians were arrested for offences in London over the past five years, Scotland Yard said, including 10 for murder and more than 140 for rape.

The figures, published under the Freedom of Information Act, will fuel fears of a crime wave when restrictions on workers from Romania and Bulgaria are lifted in January next year.

Romanians came second only to Poles, who accounted for 34,905 arrests, including 84 for murder and almost 130 for rape

By Wesley Johnson, Home Affairs Correspondent

8:03PM GMT 26 Feb 2013

I would also take issue with the endless comments about the British being lazy. Some are, some aren't just like anywhere. I've just come back from working in Poland and found many of the Poles at the site I was working at to be among the most lazy, feckless people I've ever encountered.

Noone whos actually ever set foot in any eastern european country and mixed with the general populace there would ever characterize them as "hard working".

Next year they will be coming as self-unemployed, but never mind, as the BBC left always say, we can go there to get benefits. :lol:

I don't know about benefits.....can we go to another EU country and claim benefits without paying anything into their system? :unsure:

Folks owned by UK plc or bankland need to understand that bringing all these people here is going to keep politicians in work and our taxes rising. Politicians or correct term idiots crave chaos, chaos in turn gives these idiots completely devoid of common sense a reason to live. There will be a much greater pressure on the public sector, in turn our next labour leaders will turn to the our owners the banks like they did before.

Noone whos actually ever set foot in any eastern european country and mixed with the general populace there would ever characterize them as "hard working".

Exceptions aside, the people that actually arrive and get off the plane are hard working people and will be the most proactive get-go foreign-language-speaking (English) people.

Not everyone speaks a foreign language. It's quite hard.

Not all continental Europeans speak English, even the young. Not even close. I live in Spain and many can speak English, many can make basic sentences etc. and many literally cannot speak any. Same in Bulgaria. (Does not apply to places like Sweden of course)

The ones that do, trend-wise, probably have different characteristics to the ones that don't.

Not everyone will save the money and leave their family and friends behind and jump on a bus to a foreign country with an idea to work. You have to admit that's a somewhat special kind of person.

They are a special subset of foreigners from the very start already pre-filtered as such. The other special subset (criminals) will exist too.

And so back to my point, the only way the natives can compete with these foreigners is to undercut them. They have family support so they should be able to do it easily (live with parents). But they are not allowed as it's illegal to have a job below minimum wage. The minimum wage helps foreigners WAY more than it does the natives who have numerous advantages over a foreigner.

Edited by cica

Unless you have lived in a cave, self employment in this country is PAYE masqueraded.

Unless you have lived in a cave, self employment in this country is PAYE masqueraded.

I'm self employed but not sure what you mean? Can you elaborate? Genuine question, I have an accountant now and get allowances etc, PAYE I got nothing except expenses if my employer felt obliged to pay them. Oh and holiday pay, but not sick pay.

Farage on C4 about Bulgaria now. Dont know what to say. All bulgarians come across as del boy style wide boys. Bulgarian TV interviewer says all British women are inbred and have moustaches.

Yep, the EU. One big happy family.

Of course. And they work harder, longer, and with less drain on the employer as far as sickies and gouging.

I always get flamed on this forum for saying the UK's born and bred manual and low paid labourers have a sh1tty work ethic in comparison.

Have you actually tried labouring or seen anyone working their nuts off outside in all weathers doing the most gruelling work you can imagine? Would you honestly tell them that they have a sh1tty work ethic for the pittance they earn?

Guest eight

Of course. And they work harder, longer, and with less drain on the employer as far as sickies and gouging.

I always get flamed on this forum for saying the UK's born and bred manual and low paid labourers have a sh1tty work ethic in comparison.

I generally find you an OK poster CiM so didn't really have you figured for a racist. Still, there it is, if not quite in bold type then might as well be.

As a Briton I'm getting heartily sick of reading this sort of garbage. I always considered people who made formal complaints about this sort of casual racism quite petty in the past, but it's getting so far beyond a joke now that I will have to reconsider escalating my response.

wp30a53ceb_05.jpg

Feckless dole scroungers, or hard working immigrants?

About it! All those people lookiinig for productive work! :blink:

I'm self employed but not sure what you mean? Can you elaborate? Genuine question, I have an accountant now and get allowances etc, PAYE I got nothing except expenses if my employer felt obliged to pay them. Oh and holiday pay, but not sick pay.

In this country you can quit your PAYE job, then work self employed for your ex company as a contractor. It's a win-win situation. The company pays less tax and NI, you pay less tax and NI. But it's fundamentally tax evasion.

I generally find you an OK poster CiM so didn't really have you figured for a racist. Still, there it is, if not quite in bold type then might as well be.

As a Briton I'm getting heartily sick of reading this sort of garbage. I always considered people who made formal complaints about this sort of casual racism quite petty in the past, but it's getting so far beyond a joke now that I will have to reconsider escalating my response.

+1

Here's my take on things, I have a little bit of experience on the subject of eastern Europeans in the country as I had a Polish girlfriend for a couple of years and Visited Poland twice so I ended up meeting a fair few of them.

Generally the Poles that come to the UK are more driven than the average person living in Poland, thats not to say that they are lazy over there but you can see my point that if you actually get off your backside and organise yourself and move to a different country to work you generally must be a fairly motivated person in general. If the place you are moving to to work pays wages much higher than you could earn in your own country the money that you are earning could really help you get to whatever goal you have when you move back (for example buying a house or getting a big deposit for a mortgage)

If you are working towards a goal you will have a greater motivation to work hard than say a Person in the UK doing a low paid job that will still never be able to get on the housing 'ladder' or be able to achieve what your parents achieved finacially .... It can give a 'what's the point in working hard' attitude.

The Educated Poles are far nicer people than the Uneducated (again in general). So depending on who you mix with you could have an entirely different viewpoint.

Brits working at home have higher living costs, many Poles were happy to share rooms etc while they were here enabling them to save money to take home (my ex was sharing a room with 8 other girls) Persons in the UK want to get a job so they can move out of their parents home and make a life for themselves which on minimum wage is difficult to pay rent and then have enough left over to have a decent standard of living.

As for Poland I didn't like it at all- I found it a rather depressing place. Although I was mainly in a small town around 3 hours from the Capital.

Even after watching Nigel Farage on channel 4 last nght I have a feeling that there will be an influx of Bulgarians and Romanians coming here looking for wages much higher than that of their own country. Recruitment Companies that can organise and bring the Romanians and Bulgarians over and make it easier to establish themselves will have a massive effect on numbers, so all the talk about their language and culture being closer to other European countries may not matter as much as some people think.

A bit of a jumbled post, but i hope I got my point across

As a Briton myself, with a wide array of friends from all over the world, I respect what you say as well.

But, I still stand by my point of stating that labourers here do not have the same work ethics as those abroad. In fact it is crap by comparison.

Tea breaks..fag breaks...sickies...attitude...

It simply doesn't work for those with UK borne expectations. Why do you think lowly paid jobs go to foreigners then? The economy is proving my point.

I see all kinds of very highly educated foreigners taking jobs in my industry, oil/gas/energy... A; because they have similar or better education, B; they are willing to work harder. Yes, written English is always a bone of contention. Most of the time these folk getting pro rata the same as as UK bourne, or better as they usually have better maths ability.

Get over yourself and look out the window. UK borne and bred kids lollygagging about town centres, on benefits?

We get the foreign ones here becasue they don't want to end up the same in their home countries. Willing to take what we deem as crap jobs to further their positions.

Do you really want our neds working in Greggs? Or in your garden/house doing construction?

Do you really think young folk who've educated themselves are going to be up to taking on lowly, mentally unstimilating work?

Bothered by the UK's state and attitude towards employment? Yes. Racist however I am not.

Perhaps you just don't like having your nose rubbed in it, every day, every time you go to the shops, have services come around, etc...

Point being, these folk coming in have a lot to lose if they don't perform. The UK has turned into a nation where you can't lose if you play the game.

EDIT: and it smacks as a bit unwarranted, especially as you've chosen to ignore the hypocrisy of living in a country which continues to benefit on exploitation of others!

Jeepers.

Edited by cashinmattress

The furthest ones I met when woring on farms when a youngster were from Birmingham. :D

Please tell me I'm not the first to spit out my coffee reading this :) OK , it meeds an 'h' but funny nevertheless