House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

350,000 Bulgarians And Romanians Looking For Work In The Uk

link

Research for the BBC has found that 1 per cent of working age Romanians and 4.2 per cent of Bulgarians said they are currently looking for work in the UK in 2013 or 2014.

Work restrictions on people coming to the UK from the two countries are lifted from the end of the year, prompting concerns of a major influx of migrants to this country.

The BBC polled 1,000 people each in the two countries earlier this year and found that large numbers of people are considering leaving their homes for the UK in the next two years.

In Romania there are around 15.3million people of working age, meaning that the 1 per cent considering moving to the UK equates to around 153,000 people.

In Bulgaria there are around 4.67million people of working age, meaning that according to the BBC statistics, more than 196,000 could be considering moving to the UK to find a job.

Folk here in Britain need to understand why they come, and work hard.

Every paycheque is like a lottery win. They earn four to six times as much in Britain on minimum wage as they do back home on regular salary.

No need to worry about the rants. The bad Romanians and Bulgarians...gypos...are already here; just take a trip to your local town centre or nearest mass transit system. Plenty of them lurking about.

Every paycheque is like a lottery win.

Indeed. Listening to R4 this morning on the radio alarm and the Eastern European interviewees were saying that a four month working stint in the UK can set them up for a year or possibly even two in their homeland. No wonder fruit picking is done mainly by migrant workers these days.

We drastically need to reduce the cost of living in this country (i.e. in the main, rents / mortgages) and allow wages to fall to give UK workers a chance whilst maintaining a decent standard of living for themselves.

We drastically need to reduce the cost of living in this country (i.e. in the main, rents / mortgages) and allow wages to fall to give UK workers a chance whilst maintaining a decent standard of living for themselves.

The politicians are hell bent on making sure that is not the case.

Indeed. Listening to R4 this morning on the radio alarm and the Eastern European interviewees were saying that a four month working stint in the UK can set them up for a year or possibly even two in their homeland. No wonder fruit picking is done mainly by migrant workers these days.

Agreed mortgages/rents have made it pointless to work min wage in a job with no prospects when you are better off getting housing benefit

I recall working in a ware house around a decade ago when the influx from the EU started ,time was you needed your forklift license to get a job.They changed this to training up someone to be an instructor then having them train up the Polish etc who were with an agency paid alot less than us to the extent where we got time and a half they got time and a third and yet they would work 12 hours a day every day if they could as for them the money was still good and they had low overheads.I even herd stories of recruitment agencies directly bringing in people from the EU setting up their accommodation knowing they would then be able to take a nice slice of their wage.

Many may come to start businesses. A large proportion of the present Romanian community are self employed.

I feel uneasy about these figures as we don't know what questions were asked and by who.

What about all the Bulgarians And Romanians in other EU countries, are they going just to stay put?

Of course. And they work harder, longer, and with less drain on the employer as far as sickies and gouging.

I always get flamed on this forum for saying the UK's born and bred manual and low paid labourers have a sh1tty work ethic in comparison.

Provided they find a job, which is not granted, because all the shitty jobs are taken by Asian so-called students. And how many jobs are there in fruit picking? Not many. It's quite likely that this new wave will find employment in crime rather than legal work.

Provided they find a job, which is not granted, because all the shitty jobs are taken by Asian so-called students. And how many jobs are there in fruit picking? Not many. It's quite likely that this new wave will find employment in crime rather than legal work.

Did you see the Newsnight Interview. Kirsty put it to the Romanian ambassador that some right wing nutters thought that the majority of Romanian's were criminals. He didn't disagree saying there was a problem with high level crime committed by Romanians and begging and pickpocketing by "roma".

Kirsty asked him whether he was angered to the benefit system to stop Romanian's getting benefits, again, much to Kirsty's surprised he thought this was a good idea and would aid the Germans and British who want to change their system within the EU framework.

So even the Romanian's think there is a risk of benefit scrounging criminals heading for Britain.

Where I live, a very pleasant part of France, there is a problem with Roma metal thieves - the number of times the TGV lines get cut, grrr!, Roma beggars, pick-pockets and people traffickers. The people traffickers are housed by the local council but as the trafficking goes on outside their commune they don't seem to care much about it. Practically every French town is now surrounded by squatter camps similar to african townships. So if some of those Romanian's want to move to the UK I would welcome it :-). It is as bad in Italy from what I see.

Of course. And they work harder, longer, and with less drain on the employer as far as sickies and gouging.

I always get flamed on this forum for saying the UK's born and bred manual and low paid labourers have a sh1tty work ethic in comparison.

Flamed because you compare apples with oranges? If UK low paid labourers could go to Romania and get paid 25-35 quid (4-6 times minimum wage) per hour I'm sure they'd go over there and work their nuts off just as the Romanians will here. They can't. They don't. Apples. Oranges.

edit: typo

Edited by FreeFall

Always has been; same with fish processing and a lot of other seasonal agricultural work.

The migrants just come from further afield thses days.

Itinerant workers were a mainstay of the economy in the past. Now we live in a society that is intolerant of travellers. Everyone must have a fixed address, so they can be enumerated and taxed.

Always has been; same with fish processing and a lot of other seasonal agricultural work.

The migrants just come from further afield thses days.

Itinerant workers were a mainstay of the economy in the past. Now we live in a society that is intolerant of travellers. Everyone must have a fixed address, so they can be enumerated and taxed.

The furthest ones I met when woring on farms when a youngster were from Birmingham. :D

This is a bit flippant, and no remark upon our unemployed, and not having looked at Bulgaria

But having listened to the same Farming Today programme as Danlee this morning, and having spent my late teens doing seasonal work on farms, I am tempted to work my proverbial off on a UK farm for 3 months and go and live in Bulgaria for the rest of the year.

Many may come to start businesses. A large proportion of the present Romanian community are self employed.

The english are so lazy........if only they had the get up and go of Romanian squeegy merchants and pick pockets.

You are right, it is utterly disgraceful that these feckless youths believe they should have the same standard of living their parents had in exchange for do the same sort of jobs their parents did. People doing menial labour like supplying the nations fresh food should be forced to live in sheds in peoples back yards and eat bread and water.

LiveInHope et al.

One can and many did move to Bulgaria. And Bulgarians are not screaming that the British people have occupied the villages, living in low taxation, growing their own fruit and veg, so no spend in the local economy, having access to the health and benefit system there (it is a joke money but still the right is there).

Anyway, I digress.

If you want to move there, selling a house in the region of 200k in uk, buying a house in a village with anything from 5000£, usual price about 15-20k. Another 5K for modernising. You are left with 170k (expense for relocation). with interest of 3% in euros, that's roughly 5100 pounds a year, 425 pounds a month, just shy of 1000 leva/month. If on top of that you have a pension (if pensioner) then its all bonus. You can then leisurely apply for a teaching job to teach young bulgarians English for a salary of between 300-400 leva a month. They will need it when they come over.

You enjoy summer holiday in the sun, nice local made wine and grapa, fresh food from your garden, healthy lifestyle. Plenty of countryside to explore without fences and hedges every 100 yards and so on.

Places to south of Burgas, about 10 miles from see are very tempting. Summer is hot, winter is kind of milder than anywhere else.

You will not be alone. British embassy estimates about 10k are already there. In the village of my dad-in-law there are at least 8 families. I met one of them. John in his mid thirties. He refused to speak in English, which confused me a bit.

See an example here. Don't buy investment property, you have been warned. Go on your own, preferably with a friend or someone already there, who is not offering services for pay, drive around, have a look. check in the pub in the center of a village and ask for other british ppl. Meet them and check how it is at this particular spot. Then speak to the villagers, they will know each house or land for sale which is not on any website.

Edited by bulboy

Yeah it's easy to put up with living 6 to a flat for a few months with the very high housing costs in the UK if there's a light at the end of the tunnel, that being being wealthy in your homeland. Not so good if a UK citizen trying to have a good quality of life or raise a family with no prospect of going home with wealth.

LiveInHope et al.

One can and many did move to Bulgaria. And Bulgarians are not screaming that the British people have occupied the villages, living in low taxation, growing their own fruit and veg, so no spend in the local economy, having access to the health and benefit system there (it is a joke money but still the right is there).

Anyway, I digress.

If you want to move there, selling a house in the region of 200k in uk, buying a house in a village with anything from 5000£, usual price about 15-20k. ...

Did i mentioned the house comes with big plot of land...a year ago a friend bought a plot of almost 1000 sq.m. for roughly £6k. Here that's what you pay in stamp duties and solicitor fees.

I feel uneasy about these figures as we don't know what questions were asked and by who.

What about all the Bulgarians And Romanians in other EU countries, are they going just to stay put?

Self employment is the only way they can work in the UK legitimately at present. It is also a short cut to very decent chunk of child and working tax credits with children. There was no checks on citizenship when these are awarded I believe based on a recent article I read. The govt were looking to change that but it has not happened yet.

LiveInHope et al.

Anyway, I digress.

If you want to move there, selling a house in the region of 200k in uk, buying a house in a village with anything from 5000£, usual price about 15-20k. Another 5K for modernising. You are left with 170k (expense for relocation). with interest of 3% in euros, that's roughly 5100 pounds a year, 425 pounds a month, just shy of 1000 leva/month. If on top of that you have a pension (if pensioner) then its all bonus. You can then leisurely apply for a teaching job to teach young bulgarians English for a salary of between 300-400 leva a month. They will need it when they come over.

You enjoy summer holiday in the sun, nice local made wine and grapa, fresh food from your garden, healthy lifestyle. Plenty of countryside to explore without fences and hedges every 100 yards and so on.

Places to south of Burgas, about 10 miles from see are very tempting. Summer is hot, winter is kind of milder than anywhere else.

You will not be alone. British embassy estimates about 10k are already there. In the village of my dad-in-law there are at least 8 families. I met one of them. John in his mid thirties. He refused to speak in English, which confused me a bit.

See an example here. Don't buy investment property, you have been warned. Go on your own, preferably with a friend or someone already there, who is not offering services for pay, drive around, have a look. check in the pub in the center of a village and ask for other british ppl. Meet them and check how it is at this particular spot. Then speak to the villagers, they will know each house or land for sale which is not on any website.

Thanks

He refused to speak in English, which confused me a bit.

Opening your gob and belting out a blighty accent isn't probably the smartest move when living in what is probably Europes most criminalised state.

There's plenty of nice places to live right across Balkans on your line of reasoning.

Opening your gob and belting out a blighty accent isn't probably the smartest move when living in what is probably Europes most criminalised state.

There's plenty of nice places to live right across Balkans on your line of reasoning.

:)

If he trains all the crims in English and they all head off to the UK, it'll be peaceful and pleasant in Bulgaria, no?

link

Folk here in Britain need to understand why they come, and work hard.

Every paycheque is like a lottery win. They earn four to six times as much in Britain on minimum wage as they do back home on regular salary.

No need to worry about the rants. The bad Romanians and Bulgarians...gypos...are already here; just take a trip to your local town centre or nearest mass transit system. Plenty of them lurking about.

Gangs have started 'working' the Anglia commuter trains nicking peoples luggage from the luggage compartments.

Once they take a couple of cases they jump off at the next station.

Then get back on another train for the next session.

Also carrying out 'away-day' thieving sessions in Anglia.

One gang of 6 caught nicking mobiles wearing special undergarments with zillions of pockets to hide mobiles.

They were caught by an angry crowd in a music venue after people began ringing their phones once they realised they had been stolen off tables etc.

There is a filter in place, those with the get up and go to leave their homeland for an adventure abroad are going to outshine those in their target country on average. A fairer comparison would be to compare those left behind with the unemployed here.

However that's quite apart from the other issue mentioned, that it is simply more worthwhile doing work for the return on offer if that money is worth a lot in your home country to where you will return.

So combine those factors and yes, compare them with the uk population and they completely outshine them in attitude and work ethic. But for good reason, there's nothing fundamental to a British youth that makes them lazy. Mail readers are confused about all that as it requires a bit of thinking, so that sort will just generalise and reach an unflattering inaccurate conclusion. Rather ironically, they are lazy, lazy in their thinking.

Romania is quite dodgy, but Bulgaria is a lot worse. Romania has gang crime and a good serving of corruption but Bulgaria has proper mafia. I've been there and seen the blacked-out Mercedes that drive around the resorts but a colleague was telling me about the mafia stuff in everyday towns.

Guy at work says with the increased rent he is not considerably better off (definitely is) but the main benefit he sees is the everyday things. He says you can't buy a piece of cheese without there being some con or trick with it in Bulgaria.

I get the sense that Bulgarians tend not to speak English as much as Romanians. Bulgaria uses the Cyrillic alphabet which may be part of the reason.

Edited by cica