• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Do you think I leave home without a box of caramel freddos?

Is that an euphemism?

Best advice? Do not pitch your tent below either your car or any other car - make sure any vehicles above you are parked 90 degrees to your tent. Park your own car likewise.

Rolling cars with hand-brakes left off kill people sleeping in tents.

Only light any camp fire several feet from your tent and not directly in front of the tent entrance/exit.

Take chocolate. Have tent sex.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Is that an euphemism?

Best advice? Do not pitch your tent below either your car or any other car - make sure any vehicles above you are parked 90 degrees to your tent. Park your own car likewise.

Rolling cars with hand-brakes left off kill people sleeping in tents.

Only light any camp fire several feet from your tent and not directly in front of the tent entrance/exit.

Take chocolate. Have tent sex.

##

I have a costco card. And buy boxes of caramel freddos. mmm

:)

Good tips! Thanks

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Tent sex is sex with either yourself or your partner or partners. It does not mean coitus with the actual tent.

:lol:

Plenty of warm clothing unless you are hard core HPC and don't heat your house.

Pillow. Roll mat or a thick coat if you don't want to splash out on a one use purchase.

Wellies if it has rained or is likely to do so.

Check the weather forecast/work out the direction the wind is blowing - don't pitch the entrance of your tent facing into it. Instead pitch next to hedge or park car to provide additional shelter from wind.

Pitch as far away as possible from anyone with kids or animals. Both wake around 5am.

Eye mask so the sunny stuff doesn't wake you at 5 am. There are no curtains or blinds in tents.

Ear plugs so wildlife - human and natural kind doesn't wake you.

Foodwise - depends on how long you are going to be there. A couple of nights - just bring snacks and eat out.

If you want a fire - bring everything you need - kindling, lighter, wood (you can bet others have scoured the local area for firewood already if it's an official site - and there is none to be found). Marshmellows are a fantastic treat when toasted on a fire.

Change for the showers.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Me and Mr Bell are planning a camping trip later in the year.

Last time I went camping I was in the guides.

So we have:

tent, sleeping bags, air bed (and pump),

What else will we need?

Something to cook on and a flask for saving hot water in have been recommended.

Camp site allows fires.

...forget camping....borrow my caravan

HOLA4415

NEW-CAMPING-CHEF-COOKER.jpg

Swear by mine, you can cook most things on it. We have a rucksack with a full set of plates cutlery, really cheap from halfords, pot and pans we have the something like this.

GELERT%206%20PC%20COOKSET.jpg

But some cheap bottled water (4l) you can use the empty bottle for tap water. Bowl to wash up. I also take a big roll of gaffa tape, handy stuff.

We went camping 2 years ago with a 3 year old it was fine

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I spend probably a month or so on the road each summer/autumn, in and around Europe, on the motorbike.

This is the single best piece of kit you can have.

col533b705.jpg

Nothing comes close. You can also get the dual cooker model, but make sure its can burn petrol.

Agreed! I've had the double burner model for over 30 years. Runs on unleaded ;)

HOLA4418

I had many happy camping holidays with my family/school/choir as a young lad. TBH though, last one I did on my own was 15 years ago when I was 18. That was a fine holiday mind, the only fly in the ointment was that I decided to take a small barbecue with me, and use it to cook up some supermarket cheapy sausages. Needless to say they were woefully underdone and I the next day I barely made it to the communal loos in time!

Being 18 I got round that minor food poisoning issue by simply eating nothing for the remainder of the holiday, which was only 3 days. Still went out clubbing :) .

All I would say is that tents advertised as '2 person' are too small for two people to spend more than one night together in- get a '3 person' one. I've never bemoaned the lack of a foam mat under my sleeping bag, but I've never camped in particularly cold weather, and I am pretty hardy- they're on offer in Lidl next week in any case. I have one of those ubiquitous stoves that come in a plastic case and are sold under numerous brand names (as linked earlier n this thread)- lent it to my brother and he reckoned it was fine, albeit heavy on gas- last time I stocked up on canisters they were 4 for £5 in Poundstretcher. Trangia type alcohol stoves are a bloody fiddle, but fun to use and top for an authentic 'roughing it' experience! If it's windy, the design of them (built in windbreaker) means that in that situation they're pretty much as good as an unshielded gas stove (20 minutes to boil a kettle for a late night hot chocolate in July- been there, done that! ).

I'm planning on at least one short camping break this year- I'm either going part time at work or leaving, so expensive foreign holidays are off the agenda for the time being. I've just bought a scooter with a maximum speed of 55mph and which does 110mpg- so what better way of seeing some of this great country of ours! :lol:

HOLA4419

Tent sex is sex with either yourself or your partner or partners. It does not mean coitus with the actual tent.

best enjoyed by the neighbours...make sure you leave the light on whilst "performing".

HOLA4420

Do practise putting the tent up in your garden before you go so you don't make an **** of yourself in front of other people, end up with bits left over and only discover their purpose when one side of the tent falls down in the middle of the night.

Baked potatos are amazingly nice on the fire. And good call on picking one which allows fires - depending on what time you're arriving you might need to take logs with you or they may sell them on site.

While it may be tempting to put the fire very near the entrance of the tent and sit inside it, it's not a great idea.

Those cheap gas powered lights are useless. We actually do have a rechargeable torch which is so big it fills the tent with light and lasts for days.

Check the ground first - don't be the one who thinks "that's a nice spot, I wonder why nobody else has gone for it" only to find out why when you try to bang the pegs into the ground and it's as solid as concrete.

Don't be too near water if mosquitos bite you, nor underestimate the dilemma you'll face it it's the middle of the night, chucking it down with rain outside and you're a mile from the toilets.

The coldest we camped at was 7 degrees overnight, that was pretty well borderline and I wouldn't want it any colder.

Sleeping bags have ratings a bit like tog ratings - don't skimp on this area of spend most especially if it's likely to be cold.

If picking up your emails or messages is essential check coverage first. One of the sites we go to has no coverage at all on any known network. If you only need the phone for calls, buy a £10 handset which fully charged will go for literally weeks before needing charging again. If you have to take a smartphone, make sure you have a car charger.

And watch Carry On Camping again before you go.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Agreed! I've had the double burner model for over 30 years. Runs on unleaded ;)

I have a coleman paraffin stove, which will also take unleaded petrol. Cooks a little quicker than basic gas (I seem to have both butane and propane, too), but that's a drop in the ocean compared to the effect of wind (and the limited effectiveness of a wind break) on it. One advantage of gas over petrol or paraffin is that you can use a piezo-electric spark to light it, whereas with a coleman or similar you'll want an actual flame.

HOLA4424

The coldest we camped at was 7 degrees overnight, that was pretty well borderline and I wouldn't want it any colder.

Heh. You haven't camped if you haven't experienced the "frost line" in your sleeping bag.

(The frost line is caused by a temperature gradient between a warm, moist body and the cold outside. Somewhere between those two it's at zero or a little under, where the moisture from your body freezes.)

[edit] Having said that, I'm not sure anywhere in the UK gets cold enough for that. Maybe a cold January high in the Cairngorms, but really it's more something you get in Scandinavia, Russia, Canada or Antarctica. English winter gets cold enough to give you a sheet of ice on the tent, but not really a sleeping bag.

HOLA4425

Heh. You haven't camped if you haven't experienced the "frost line" in your sleeping bag.

(The frost line is caused by a temperature gradient between a warm, moist body and the cold outside. Somewhere between those two it's at zero or a little under, where the moisture from your body freezes.)

[edit] Having said that, I'm not sure anywhere in the UK gets cold enough for that. Maybe a cold January high in the Cairngorms, but really it's more something you get in Scandinavia, Russia, Canada or Antarctica. English winter gets cold enough to give you a sheet of ice on the tent, but not really a sleeping bag.

I've wondered before just how effective the more expensive "mountaineering" type tents are at keeping you warmer.

What I find odd about the psychology of camping, or maybe it's just me, is that all that's separating you from the outside is a really thin sheet of canvas (+ inner lining), yet it has the most incredibly snug, secure feeling about it.

Archived