House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

Hopefully Our Politicians Don't Cotton On To This

link

Maryland Democratic Governor Martin O’Malley has instituted a tax on citizens for the amount of rain that falls on their property.

The tax, officially known as a "storm water management fee," will be enforced in nine of the state's counties. The state legislature passed it in 2012 purportedly to "raise revenue to cleanup [sic] the Chesapeake Bay," according to MarylandReporter.com.

Former 2012 GOP U.S. Senate candidate Dan Bongino bashes the tax in a Wednesday afternoon press release. The law "requires individuals, businesses, and even charitable organizations and houses of worship to pay a tax based on the amount of rain that falls on their property and the 'impervious surfaces' on their land," he says.

The tax, mandated by the EPA and enforced locally, will be calculated "through satellite surveillance of your property," the statement claims.

Bongino blasts "out of touch political aristocrats in Maryland will do anything to diminish your economic liberty and starve your wallet while padding theirs."

According to the conservative organization Change Maryland, the rain tax will cost Marylanders about $300 million annually.

Governor O'Malley famously tried increasing taxes to balance the state's budget with little success in 2007. The increase in the top marginal tax rate, known as a "millionaire's tax," cost Maryland $1.7 billion in lost tax revenue, according to Change Maryland. Between 2007 and 2010, the state population suffered a net loss of 31,000 people.

Although I'm all for people NOT paving over their whole property... this is utter madness.

Just plant a garden on your roof to circumnavigate such bone headed policy perhaps?

We shouldn't give Gidiot any ideas, especially after he's based the nations economic policy on failed research papers.

I actually quite like it.

But why not simplify it a bit. Why not just make it about how much rain falls on your land? Actually why not simplify it a bit further. Why not make it about how much rain would fall on your land if it rained all the time?

So this would depend on the size of your land so it would be a land tax.

To make this really good, why not use this tax to replace income tax?

Surface water drainage charge a.k.a. the RAIN TAX. We already have it. I pay £40pa because I'm in band A. But our whole block of flats does not exceed the land for band A. So I am in dispute with the water company over payment. I believe our liability to the rain tax should be divided by the number of flats and reduced accordingly. I should be paying £5. In the UK we pay rain tax to private companies, much like we land & property taxes to private companies and individuals.

We already have a version of this. Only it's the opposite: instead of taxing land whose use contributes artificially to flooding, we pay landowners who let their land be used to alleviate flooding.