House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

1 In 5 Employees British

Was on R4 just - and he says 1 in 5 employees is British.

Is it time to stop using companys who don't employ majoritively british people? It'd be better for the economy if british people were employed.

In the past year bosses have attempted to tackle the calls from Boris Johnson, the London mayor, and Chris Grayling, former employment minister, to increase British staffing levels, revealing 20% of workers are from the UK, compared with 17% a year earlier.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/apr/21/pret-a-manger-uk-jobs-profits-rise

Edited by SarahBell

Was on R4 just - and he says 1 in 5 employees is British.

Is it time to stop using companys who don't employ majoritively british people? It'd be better for the economy if british people were employed.

In the past year bosses have attempted to tackle the calls from Boris Johnson, the London mayor, and Chris Grayling, former employment minister, to increase British staffing levels, revealing 20% of workers are from the UK, compared with 17% a year earlier.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/apr/21/pret-a-manger-uk-jobs-profits-rise

A time is fast approaching when we have mass unemployment 50% +, at that point it will simply turn very nasty.

change the name to "ready to eat" and protocols will be satisfied....problem solved.

What does 'favouring foreign staff' mean?

Fundamentally companies are hiring foreign workers because of their attitude towards work.

The hypocrisy of the UK. Almost all of the nations sustenance comes from using other countries goods and labour, and other peoples money via London.

Crying about Bogdan serving you a coffee and sandwich is hardly a genuine gripe when you're texting the complaint to your MP on a cheaply made Korean product, draped in garb made in Bangladeshi or Shanghai sweat shops.

Fundamentally companies are hiring foreign workers because of their attitude towards work.

The hypocrisy of the UK. Almost all of the nations sustenance comes from using other countries goods and labour, and other peoples money via London.

Crying about Bogdan serving you a coffee and sandwich is hardly a genuine gripe when you're texting the complaint to your MP on a cheaply made Korean product, draped in garb made in Bangladeshi or Shanghai sweat shops.

Nope - you can go in PC World or Greggs or Boots, in the same city (I'm in London) and still have a good chance of being served by British born staff (although obviously not necessarily white Anglo-saxon, given local demographics). Nothing to do with alleged "poor British attitude to work" - although the more the likes of Pret or Starbucks hire trendy Euro-grads, the more locals will feel they are not wanted.

Yes, we import a lot of products - and I don't see those exporting nations complaining about that. But it doesn't mean we should discourage local youth from working in our shops and bars - indeed they should be given preference. In my opinion. At the moment they are discouraged from doing this (and yes, hb and the rest probably plays a part too).

I have no problems with employees being foreigners because I am not a stupid racist UKIP fanboi, but because the place has a French name I expect the staff to be fully conversant with the French language.

As as I have some 0.001% Italian blood I expect the puppets at Jamie's Italian to at least be able to say: Buongiorno. come sta?

Well, what do they mean by "British"? As far as I can see, not all "British citizens" are British - I don't considering possession of a passport to make someone British - and so the proportion of British employees is probably much less than 20%.

Nope - you can go in PC World or Greggs or Boots, in the same city (I'm in London) and still have a good chance of being served by British born staff (although obviously not necessarily white Anglo-saxon, given local demographics). Nothing to do with alleged "poor British attitude to work" - although the more the likes of Pret or Starbucks hire trendy Euro-grads, the more locals will feel they are not wanted.

Yes, we import a lot of products - and I don't see those exporting nations complaining about that. But it doesn't mean we should discourage local youth from working in our shops and bars - indeed they should be given preference. In my opinion. At the moment they are discouraged from doing this (and yes, hb and the rest probably plays a part too).

Maybe where you are. Not here.

PC world is filled with African and Asian lads, mostly doing post grad university stuff.

I don't shop at boots so can't say.

And contemporary British attitude towards work stinks, as do the labour laws. Try sacking somebody.

Well, what do they mean by "British"? As far as I can see, not all "British citizens" are British - I don't considering possession of a passport to make someone British - and so the proportion of British employees is probably much less than 20%.

Out of interest what is your criteria for someone to be considered British?

Very easy Runner Mo Farah was a Somalian asylum seeker,2 Gold medals later he is as British as Churchill,Wellington and Nelson.

You see it really is not to difficult to become British in the eyes of the typical tabloid reader.

Really sorry to do this to this thread but I'm convinced the National Minimum Wage is the problem here.

NMW helps foreigners WAY more than the natives.

It's such a massive, massive decision to move to a foreign country especially to be at the bottom of the society. You might not be so confident at the language. No family to support you. Not many friends. Different culture. Big initial investment to get bank accounts and other paperwork. (I've just moved to another country and it's hard enough doing it for a decent job).

Everything is in the favour of the natives many of whom can just live at home with their parents for example.

How can foreigners EVER compete with the natives?...

National Minimum Wage. It renders the less-skilled natives noncompetitive as they have to compete with the most proactive get-going people from other countries. It's a complete no-contest once the minimum wage is fixed to be the same for both.

I'm actually all for absolute freedom of economic movement but there's something very wrong with some of the variables if it results in the kind of numbers we saw come to the UK over the last 15 years. I'm pretty sure I know which variable that is.

No one noticed too much as their children were all going to be middle managers after their degree weren't they? The economic inactivity stats really show the true story rather than unemployment back in 2000.

Edited by cica

Very easy Runner Mo Farah was a Somalian asylum seeker,2 Gold medals later he is as British as Churchill,Wellington and Nelson.

You see it really is not to difficult to become British in the eyes of the typical tabloid reader.

To me someone who grows up in Britain is British. Someone who comes here in their twenties because they like London and stays long enough to get a passport before going off somewhere else is not.

To me someone who grows up in Britain is British. Someone who comes here in their twenties because they like London and stays long enough to get a passport before going off somewhere else is not.

Unlike Mo Farah who lives and trains in the USA.

That doesn't change where he grew up.

Having a training camp in the US is irrelevant. There aren't any places in the UK were you can train at altitude consistently.

Ok then,

If he ends his career and settles down in the States is he still British?

Really sorry to do this to this thread but I'm convinced the National Minimum Wage is the problem here.

NMW helps foreigners WAY more than the natives.

It's such a massive, massive decision to move to a foreign country especially to be at the bottom of the society. You might not be so confident at the language. No family to support you. Not many friends. Different culture. Big initial investment to get bank accounts and other paperwork. (I've just moved to another country and it's hard enough doing it for a decent job).

Everything is in the favour of the natives many of whom can just live at home with their parents for example.

How can foreigners EVER compete with the natives?...

National Minimum Wage. It renders the less-skilled natives noncompetitive as they have to compete with the most proactive get-going people from other countries. It's a complete no-contest once the minimum wage is fixed to be the same for both.

I'm actually all for absolute freedom of economic movement but there's something very wrong with some of the variables if it results in the kind of numbers we saw come to the UK over the last 15 years. I'm pretty sure I know which variable that is.

No one noticed too much as their children were all going to be middle managers after their degree weren't they? The economic inactivity stats really show the true story rather than unemployment back in 2000.

So what spurs these foreigners on?

100% UK Govt propaganda all year around in their home country - dissing the poor and disabled?

The fact that majority ignore spending in our economy and save to buy a large acreage of land and/or buy a house within 10yrs back in the motherland?

What are the poxy options for the non-wealthy/badly educated here?

Exploited by the Uk 10% parasites with massive rents

Edited by erranta

So what spurs these foreigners on?

100% UK Govt propaganda all year around in their home country - dissing the poor and disabled?

The fact that majority ignore spending in our economy and save to buy a large acreage of land and/or buy a house within 10yrs back in the motherland?

What are the poxy options for the non-wealthy/badly educated here?

Exploited by the Uk 10% parasites with massive rents

The thing that spurs them on is what spurs on the natives who are in good employment. They are clearly proactive and motivated to organise and leave.

I know a lot of foreigners who came to the UK. Many actually stay and never want to go home so that argument is far from universal.

If we want to sort this country out it's not going to happen with a few changes in isolation. Get rid of national minimum wage, progressive land value tax and lower income taxes, sort out the corruption at the top of society.

Edited by cica

Absolute garbage.

If this is true then please explain to me why they are not going out to hire/recruit foreign staff from germany, austria, and the netherlands. Nations that are considered to have the highest of all work ethics and skill levels amongst europeans.

British ancestry (English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish) - ie descent from people who were here centuries ago. Any government can hand out passports like confetti - the Chinese government could give me a Chinese passport - but that wouldn't really make me Chinese, would it? It's time we cleaned up our citizens rolls to reserve our citizenship for British people only.

That is meaningless, because it includes people of different cultures, religions, identities, allegiances - there are blond-haired American children who were brought up in China - but are they Chinese? London is full of foreigners - including the ones who were born here and have British passports.