House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Executive Sadman

Old Holborn Blog

Used to like visiting the old holborn blog. But found its been shut down

http://bastardoldholborn.blogspot.co.uk/

Hasnt got anything to do with this, surely?

http://www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/Investigation-notorious-online-Twitter-troll/story-18747414-detail/story.html#axzz2R7mKduar

I thought holborn was a resident of Cambridge, even stood for election there.

If this is for real, who is next? Pat Condell, on grounds of offending the 'honour' of Islam

I mean what the hell is up with this sodding country?

Or is this just the police being their usual imcompetent jack booted selves and shutting down all 'old holborn' internet presences?

I don't think free speech has ever been a right in the UK (unlike in the US), except perhaps on speakers' corner.

Annaraccon has this in her latest blog entry

That is not all that has happened over the past fortnight. The day after that file arrived, I had a phone call; from Old Holborn. To tell me it wasn’t true that he had been arrested, allegedly for upsetting a delicate soul in Liverpool, under the ‘Malicious Communications Act’; but that it was true that this delicate soul had mobilised his on-line friends, who had tracked down Old Holborn’s wife, made so many offensive phone calls to her employers that she had been fired from her job, tried to do the same to him, made public death threats to him and his children, published his name and address and phone number, which resulted in hundreds, literally hundreds of phone calls threatening him with physical violence – and that these people had made the connection between him and I, since I was his election agent when he stood for parliament. It seems that he too was paying the price for free speech in Britain today. Apparently thinking (and saying) that Liverpool is overwhelmingly filled with self pitying, whinging drunks is a crime punishable by death. Whereas planning to burn someones house down in the middle of the night with their children inside is a perfectly normal and understandable reaction to someone saying something you don’t agree with.

What an utterly screwed up place Britain is today.

The blogger's comment at the end is true, at this moment in time Britain is a weird place.

My worry is the old adage about people needing to hit rock-bottom before they take the steps back to recovery.

I'm not sure we're at your actual 24-carat rock-bottom yet.

And if my fears are correct, it's gonna get a shit-load weirder and scarier in this country before common sense finally kicks in and we pull ourselves back up again.

Perhaps I'll live long enough to see it start - for the sake of my grandchildren I deeply hope so...

XYY

Yes, the blog came back eventually.

I think also the liverpool type 'offended' by old holborns less than sufficiently gushing words towards Hillsborough also made similar comments about the death of Lady T. I guess the irony would be lost.

Luckily I havent come across many career offended types in real life. They seem to be two a penny on the internet though.

OH was pretty good, no other blog like it. I thought the episode where he helped secure the release of the publican jailed over smoking-ban related offences was a highlight.

But, it's also true that he was rather reckless in his pursuit of free speech. Nothing justifies what has happened to him, but he certainly seemed to enjoy winding people up mercilessly. Given the nut jobs around, and the fact he has a large family to consider, this was not very sensible. Seemed a matter of time before something serious ocurred.

That is not all that has happened over the past fortnight. The day after that file arrived, I had a phone call; from Old Holborn. To tell me it wasn’t true that he had been arrested, allegedly for upsetting a delicate soul in Liverpool, under the ‘Malicious Communications Act’; but that it was true that this delicate soul had mobilised his on-line friends, who had tracked down Old Holborn’s wife, made so many offensive phone calls to her employers that she had been fired from her job, tried to do the same to him, made public death threats to him and his children, published his name and address and phone number, which resulted in hundreds, literally hundreds of phone calls threatening him with physical violence – and that these people had made the connection between him and I, since I was his election agent when he stood for parliament. It seems that he too was paying the price for free speech in Britain today. Apparently thinking (and saying) that Liverpool is overwhelmingly filled with self pitying, whinging drunks is a crime punishable by death. Whereas planning to burn someones house down in the middle of the night with their children inside is a perfectly normal and understandable reaction to someone saying something you don’t agree with.

What an utterly screwed up place Britain is today.

Scousers. Don't you just love the cheeky little scallywags!

Over the last few days on Twitter, there has been what I call a faux-outrage about something he posted. I'm not entirely sure what it was, I think it had something to do with the Bulger case. I'm sure it was offensive but similarly I also bet it was funny as ******.

Is this for real?

What was "funny as ******" about the James Bulger case or comments pertaining to it?

Or, do I have this wrong, and this relates to someone else called Bulger?

The rest of the blog might be of interest to me, but I stopped reading there.

Is this for real?

What was "funny as ******" about the James Bulger case or comments pertaining to it?

Or, do I have this wrong, and this relates to someone else called Bulger?

The rest of the blog might be of interest to me, but I stopped reading there.

Good point, I didn't read the homepage. Very cruel,