House Price Crash Forum

Renewable Energy Installations Map - Uk

Kurt Barlow

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

But, but we still need coal/gas/oil/nuclear to balance all that! :lol:

It makes for interesting reading, particularly in regard to the diversity of sources. I was surprised to see over 1GW of biomass which I have mixed feelings on. I'm fine with the use of genuine biomass waste - ie straw stubble, poultry litter etc but totally against importing woodchip from half way across the globe.

Another 500MW is sourced from waste - primarily landfill gas.

HOLA444

I was quite surpised to see 1230MW of hydro in the planning system, primarily 2 large schemes in Scotland with numerous small schemes across wales and the hilly parts of England. Thats a significant addition in dispatchable capacity given how quickly hydro can respond to changes in demand.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Or how about "We could've just built a small number of nuclear power stations instead of all that!" :lol:

Although some hydro is needed due to its ability to respond quickly (and in worst-case scenarios start up without anything else working).

HOLA447

Or how about "We could've just built a small number of nuclear power stations instead of all that!" :lol:

Although some hydro is needed due to its ability to respond quickly (and in worst-case scenarios start up without anything else working).

Only problem is EDF want a 10p a unit price floor for the next 40 years to start building new nukes - too cheap to meter eh? :lol:

HOLA448

Only problem is EDF want a 10p a unit price floor for the next 40 years to start building new nukes - too cheap to meter eh? :lol:

You can multiply the estimate build cost of any nuclear plant by a factor of at least three, and the decommissioning probably by a factor of at least ten.

Nuclear energy is, however, as Hubbert called in his famous 1956 paper, the future past peak oil... until we invest in better technology.

Not my choice, but the current folk alive won't have to own up to the toxic mess it leaves behind. Forever.

HOLA449

You can multiply the estimate build cost of any nuclear plant by a factor of at least three, and the decommissioning probably by a factor of at least ten.

Nuclear energy is, however, as Hubbert called in his famous 1956 paper, the future past peak oil... until we invest in better technology.

Not my choice, but the current folk alive won't have to own up to the toxic mess it leaves behind. Forever.

Technology moves on, and a lot of the cost isn't to do with the technology but political messing around. The waste problem is massively over-exaggerated too, with more political nonsense getting in the way of doing something sensible (a big hole). Much more preferable to building stupid, ugly windmills everywhere that don't even do anything half the time you actually need them.

Not forever either - "plutonium may give you grief for thousands of years but arsenic is forever."

Sure, we need to be investing in better ideas for large-scale, small-footprint reliable power generation but we need nuclear in the mean time, and to stop wasting time and money on all of this alternative nonsense.

HOLA4410

Technology moves on, and a lot of the cost isn't to do with the technology but political messing around. The waste problem is massively over-exaggerated too, with more political nonsense getting in the way of doing something sensible (a big hole). Much more preferable to building stupid, ugly windmills everywhere that don't even do anything half the time you actually need them.

Not forever either - "plutonium may give you grief for thousands of years but arsenic is forever."

Sure, we need to be investing in better ideas for large-scale, small-footprint reliable power generation but we need nuclear in the mean time, and to stop wasting time and money on all of this alternative nonsense.

But nuclear doesnt take up thousands upon thousands of acres of land that the politically connected landowners can get subsidies for, like they can for solar and wind...

Archived