House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ubuntu

Thatcher Museum

Come on Dave now you're just taking the proverbial!

David Cameron has given his backing to the £15million museum and library which is planned as a permanent memorial to Margaret Thatcher.

The Prime Minister said the ambitious project, to be modelled on the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum in California, would “ensure [Lady Thatcher’s] legacy lives on”.

His public backing is likely to boost support significantly from other ministers and leading figures for the Margaret Thatcher Library, to be based in or close to Westminster, and which will run training courses and exchange programmes with overseas students.

It will also house artefacts from her time in power - 1979 to 1990 - likely to include a selection of her suits and handbags.

Mr Cameron said: “During her life Margaret Thatcher believed in action - and this memorial will produce real results for generations to come.

“I am delighted that young people will be able to come to the Thatcher Centre and learn about her achievements, and ensure her legacy lives on.”

As fundraising got seriously under way, the project, first revealed by The Sunday Telegraph last week, also received support from leading conservative figures from overseas - including John Howard, the former Australian prime minister, Newt Gingrich, the former speaker of the House of Representatives in the US, Fred Ryan, President Reagan’s chief of staff and Karl Rove, who performed the same role for President George W Bush.

Mr Rove said: “Baroness Thatcher championed freedom around the world and was a strong friend of America in the dangerous days of the Cold War. The Margaret Thatcher Centre will be a timeless tribute to her fighting spirit, unwavering courage, and principled conservative leadership.”

Meanwhile, an opinion poll today shows Conservative activists are more likely to characterise Mr Cameron as the “heir to [Tony] Blair” than the “heir to Thatcher.”

In the survey by the ConservativeHome website, 34 per cent of party members said the Prime Minister was the heir to Mr Blair, with only 11 per cent allying him with Lady Thatcher. Most, however, (55 per cent) said he was following his own individual path.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/10007828/David-Cameron-gives-backing-to-15million-Thatcher-museum.html

Presumably it will just be more political hagiography

I very much doubt it will mention Alf Roberts rumoured penchant for groping shop girls or the fact that Mrs T failed to list her mother, Beatrice Ethel Stephenson, once by name in her 800 plus page memoir. There was something a bit odd in that family.

They say you shouldn't speak ill of the dead so I'll just say this. Her life was summed up nicely by the fact she died in her suite in the Ritz, while outside at least 500 people sleep rough every night.

I'd heard there was going to be a Thatcher library, however my understanding is that they were raising the money privately, so no need for frothing at the mouth at the though of state expense. Indeed Baroness Thatcher would have hated the thought of a publicly funded "memorial."

So you read her autobiography?

Maybe if old Alf was a bit of a kiddie fiddler then he turned his attentions inwards to his family. Mother didn't protect her and she blamed her for this?

As to the library or whatever they want to call it...Fine as long as not one penny of public money goes towards funding it. Library's are good as they keep poor people warm in winter and can be a seat of (free) learning..

If private funding is forthcoming then it would be churlish to turn it down simply because it has Thatcher above the door.

As for Cameron making advantage he is finished anyway. The Tory vote (and some Labour) is bleeding away to UKIP.

Alf Roberts? He was a grocer and Town Councillor in Coronation Street.............a soap with links to some unsavoury tendancies.

Alf Roberts? He was a grocer and Town Councillor in Coronation Street.............a soap with links to some unsavoury tendancies.

Ah a misinterpretation..Her father was called Roberts....And also a Methodist lay preacher..

Will the Ritz have their own tribute? "I'll take the Thatcher Suite please."

Wonder if they will promote the suite as the one Thatcher died in with a special price..

Could do a roaring trade in the Yorkshire mining villages.

The Prime Minister said the ambitious project, to be modelled on the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum in California, would “ensure [Lady Thatcher’s] legacy lives on”.

How building a museum can "ensure a legacy lives on" is just one of those puzzles but for sure there will be plenty of claims by politicians to justify their own pet projects and policies that by adopting them then the "legacy" is living on even with no resemblance.

I don't see anything wrong with this since it's being funded entirely privately. In fact, I think we should have more of these. It would be very interesting to see which ones got the most visitors. I bet the Gordon Brown one would be like the Pencil Museum on a wet Wednesday afternoon in November.