House Price Crash Forum
Frizzers

Beat The System Buy A Boat

Please contribute thoughts, knowledge and ideas to this thread about living on a boat in London.

Once a haven of life, the Thames has become the most underused resort you could imagine. barely anything goes on there, A few tourist boats, a party boat and miles and miles of barren concrete along each side. It's an economic desert yet it is a river in a capital city. It should be a hive of activity. There should be people living on it all the way up, on wonderful beautiful and original boats, just like there used to be, cameraderie, hail ferryman good morrow, restaurants, art galleries, offices , transport systems. Using the resource could bring huge relief to the housing crisis.

But British Waterways and the PLA have strangled the life out of it.

river-thames-look247.jpg

There is nothing going on on the river - why is it nt as busy as the land on either side?

You can pick up anamazing boat at below build cost. There is little debt in residential boats so their costs are akin to what people earn. Boat prices have done what house prices should have done. The issue is moorings - at least in London. They're impossible to come by.

If Boris should address one thing in London, it's the Thames. private property rights are not recognised on the water the same way they are on land. As a result no one risks capital.

A good thread on ADVFN on the subject. Please share anything you know ...

Edited by Frizzers

Please contribute thoughts, knowledge and ideas to this thread about living on a boat in London.

Once a haven of life, the Thames has become the most underused resort you could imagine. barely anything goes on there, A few tourist boats, a party boat and miles and miles of barren concrete along each side. It's an economic desert yet it is a river in a capital city. It should be a hive of activity. There should be people living on it all the way up, on wonderful beautiful and original boats, just like there used to be, cameraderie, hail ferryman good morrow, restaurants, art galleries, offices , transport systems. Using the resource could bring huge relief to the housing crisis.

But British Waterways and the PLA have strangled the life out of it.

river-thames-look247.jpg

There is nothing going on on the river - why is it nt as busy as the land on either side?

You can pick up anamazing boat at below build cost. There is little debt in residential boats so their costs are akin to what people earn. Boat prices have done what house prices should have done. The issue is moorings - at least in London. They're impossible to come by.

If Boris should address one thing in London, it's the Thames. private property rights are not recognised on the water the same way they are on land. As a result no one risks capital.

A good thread on ADVFN on the subject. Please share anything you know ...

I think HPC once posted a link to a houseboat for sale somewhere, and it was hugely expensive. http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=134375

I have several friends who live or have lived on boats in London. It seems to me you either pay through the nose for the privilege or somehow wing it. My friends got their moorings through unofficially mooring next to others and then somehow over time managed to become official. If you fit in and are willing to live precariously for six months or so.

It is often cold in the winter though. And some friends found the cramped circumstances got to them after a while. Living space can be smaller than even a micro flat. Also expect flooding at some point as well as being comfortable with the more domestic aspects of life - one friend described spending an entire weekend messing around inside the onboard septic tank shortly after buying the boat.

Costs apparently not really cheaper than normal living according to my friends.

The flipside is that it is the closest thing you can get to living in the countryside in London and it's a very supportive community.

I really fancied it myself - but the missus had no interest.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

I've sailed all my life and for a couple of years had a boat on the Thames.

Yes, I'd love to see the river better utilised, but there's a reason it's often so desolate. Unlike many of Europe's other great city rivers, the Thames is a monster with (for a capital city) an exceptionally large tidal range and very, very fast currents which regularly hit 8 knots plus, and touching 12 knots in individual stretches. In addition there are multiple undertows and eddies to add to the risks, as well as plenty of garbage that can foul propellors and cooling intakes at the worst possible moment. By comparison Paris, Amsterdam, and Frankfurt are docile pussycats.

What that means is that if you go in the Thames at the wrong time in the tidal cycle then you're just as dead as if you'd been washed overboard rounding Cape Horn, and the records from when the Thames and the docks were more active demonstrate just what a killer London's river can be.

I have several friends who live or have lived on boats in London. It seems to me you either pay through the nose for the privilege or somehow wing it. My friends got their moorings through unofficially mooring next to others and then somehow over time managed to become official. If you fit in and are willing to live precariously for six months or so.

It is often cold in the winter though. And some friends found the cramped circumstances got to them after a while. Living space can be smaller than even a micro flat. Also expect flooding at some point as well as being comfortable with the more domestic aspects of life - one friend described spending an entire weekend messing around inside the onboard septic tank shortly after buying the boat.

Costs apparently not really cheaper than normal living according to my friends.

The flipside is that it is the closest thing you can get to living in the countryside in London and it's a very supportive community.

I really fancied it myself - but the missus had no interest.

would be a similar issue for me. I don't mind chatting to all sorts of characters and don't mind if some might seem a bit nosey. Partner likes her privacy a bit more and wouldn't like roughing it in the winter months (I can see why)

the toilet issue can be a vote loser for most i'd guess. + space on a narrowboat. If I was to try it i'd go for a 50foot+ widebeam on canals as I think the British water use fees are done on length rather than width. I think you'd be looking at mooring fees £1k+, 500 quid or so for British water use fees? Boat safety certificate, maintenance, boat surveys, hull repairs, upkeep, taking boat out of water every few years costs money etc.

I've sailed all my life and for a couple of years had a boat on the Thames.

Yes, I'd love to see the river better utilised, but there's a reason it's often so desolate. Unlike many of Europe's other great city rivers, the Thames is a monster with (for a capital city) an exceptionally large tidal range and very, very fast currents which regularly hit 8 knots plus, and touching 12 knots in individual stretches. In addition there are multiple undertows and eddies to add to the risks, as well as plenty of garbage that can foul propellors and cooling intakes at the worst possible moment. By comparison Paris, Amsterdam, and Frankfurt are docile pussycats.

What that means is that if you go in the Thames at the wrong time in the tidal cycle then you're just as dead as if you'd been washed overboard rounding Cape Horn, and the records from when the Thames and the docks were more active demonstrate just what a killer London's river can be.

Very interesting - I get this.

But these are challenges that could be overcome. The river was a lot busier in the 19th century when, I imagine, the current s were the same.

The main reason it is under-utilised is that the authorities responsible for it have strangled, licenced and regulated the life out of it.