House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

What Or Pardon?

Always hated the word pardon. It conjures up images of bull necked builders shouting at each other as they try to hear each others instructions. Of course in upper class circles pardon is more offensive than c**t. And I was rather surprised that in the last episode of Morse he actually pulled up a boy for using the word what? as opposed to pardon?.

In any event I would always say sorry? But given the choice of what or pardon... what sounds a hell of a lot more polite than the rather rough reprimanding sound of pardon.

So I am with the snobs on this one, and that comes from somebody who is every bit as broad speaking as Andy Burnham.

'Pardon' that's outrageous. It should be 'I beg your pardon'. Nothing less will do.

Ah well I am just pissed off with those middle class teachers who pulled me up for using 'what' when I was kid, and I still feel rebellious . Now anxious members of the elite are asking etiquette expert in the Telegraph what to do if the teacher tells their kids to use the faux pas four letter word 'pardon' as opposed to 'what'.

Always hated the word pardon. It conjures up images of bull necked builders shouting at each other as they try to hear each others instructions. Of course in upper class circles pardon is more offensive than c**t. And I was rather surprised that in the last episode of Morse he actually pulled up a boy for using the word what? as opposed to pardon?.

In any event I would always say sorry? But given the choice of what or pardon... what sounds a hell of a lot more polite than the rather rough reprimanding sound of pardon.

So I am with the snobs on this one, and that comes from somebody who is every bit as broad speaking as Andy Burnham.

I was always taught that 'what' was both rude and 'common' whereas pardon was the correct word to use. Judging by its extensive use in Victoria novels (Dickens/Bronte/Austen/etc) I think I am correct.

However, I tend to use 'sorry' as much as 'pardon'. I rarely use 'what' as it is just plain rude.

I was always taught that 'what' was both rude and 'common' whereas pardon was the correct word to use. Judging by its extensive use in Victoria novels (Dickens/Bronte/Austen/etc) I think I am correct.

However, I tend to use 'sorry' as much as 'pardon'. I rarely use 'what' as it is just plain rude.

What what old chap, surley not, what?

"What?", "Eh?, or, most often, "Say again".

"Say again" is radio-speak and therefore class-neutral. Hence my preference.

A posh bird at work who went to a proper posh school says "what".

She was taught that "pardon" is what the serving classes would say.

Absolutely! :(

A posh bird at work who went to a proper posh school says "what".

She was taught that "pardon" is what the serving classes would say.

I'm not sure it's a "serving class" thing. More likely to be the sort of people who think they're better than their peers because their Barret-box is detached by 10cm.

I'm not sure it's a "serving class" thing. More likely to be the sort of people who think they're better than their peers because their Barret-box is detached by 10cm.

Then they, like most of us, are probably still the "serving classes", and don't have that much! :huh: