• Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Not even a Darwin thing, because I guess it was his parents that took that decision.

If so, they must be feeling good about themselves.

MMR (and its predecessor) isn't 100% effective , so there is no guarantee that this person was/wasn't immunized. Herd immunity is needed to get full prevention.

Personally I would like to see Andrew wakefield extradited from the USA and charged with ABH for every case of measles, and manslaughter is this case proves to be linked.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

There is no correlation between MMR and Autism.

I believe that to be the case now, but there certainly was a to-do about it about twenty years back! I remember people being scared of this triple vaccine!

HOLA4415

I believe that to be the case now, but there certainly was a to-do about it about twenty years back! I remember people being scared of this triple vaccine!

However, this was a classic media driven scare story - Daily Mail in particular - driving anxiety and over-reaction by worried parents; I believe the government of the day were trying to refute the 'doctor's claims' and reassure. The public got spooked and the we see the result now.

Was this the time when all manner of illnesses were attributed to behavioural deviances? Ck-ching.

HOLA4416

isnt there?

Autism, it is rumoured, was very rare...now its common.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

when i went for my holiday jabs the nurse said i had had only 1 mmr jab so jabbed me in addition to the ones for south america. I am not sure if I had missed it or poor records but she said some of the earlier batches were not effective though i am unsure whether that was a fact!

HOLA4419

MMR (and its predecessor) isn't 100% effective , so there is no guarantee that this person was/wasn't immunized. Herd immunity is needed to get full prevention.

Personally I would like to see Andrew wakefield extradited from the USA and charged with ABH for every case of measles, and manslaughter is this case proves to be linked.

Yes, because Andrew Wakefield held a gun to Tony Blair's head to prevent separate vaccines being issued by the NHS even though it was obvious vaccination rates were going down. Yes, because Andrew Wakefield personally stopped every single parent who objected to the MMR vaccine from going private and paying for separate vaccinations (as I did). :rolleyes:

FWIW, his report came out in 1998 so this poor chap would have been vaccinated prior to it I presume.

There is plenty of circumstantial evidence to suggest some very, very adverse reactions to the MMR jab but there is no excuse for a parent not vaccinating their child.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Yes, because Andrew Wakefield held a gun to Tony Blair's head to prevent separate vaccines being issued by the NHS even though it was obvious vaccination rates were going down. Yes, because Andrew Wakefield personally stopped every single parent who objected to the MMR vaccine from going private and paying for separate vaccinations (as I did). :rolleyes:

True. However, there is good reason not to give single vaccines in preference to MMR.

They are more expensive, less effective and have more serious side effects; The rate of serious reaction is approximately equal for each of the single components as it is for the MMR vaccine. In addition, the need to stagger the doses of single vaccines prolongs the unprotected window of reduced or incomplete protection. At the time of life that MMR is normally given, this contributes a relevant degree of reduction of efficacy.

Single vaccines were available if parents wanted them. Whether the NHS should have been paying the higher price for an inferior product is rather a difficult question.

HOLA4422

The local paper - The Swansea Evening Post - ran quite a series of articles, some might argue a campaign, about the MMR vaccine at the time. Interestingly enough, the former Editor was on BBC Wales earlier this week denying that the paper was to blame for the current outbreak.

Apparently the biggest worry in the area is about the number of people in their teens and early 20s who should have had the vaccine as young children but did not - presumably this young man fell into that bracket.

I have to admit that if I had any children at the time of all the stories about MMR that I would not have had them be given the vaccine. I would have found the money to go to France and get the vaccine done separately or, failing that, not had it done.

HOLA4423

What was the health of the 25 year old? Was he of compromised health?

There are so many lies about this outbreak it's unbelievable. Measles cases are not uncommon. We haven't eradicated it. Over the last few years in my circle of friends several kids have had measles and ALL had had the usual vaccination schedule. So the odd larger outbreak is not strange. We are being told that the Swansea outbreak is due to the MMR scare when I'll bet huge numbers are 'properly' vaccinated as, even during the MMR scare the vast majority just let their doctors stick in the needles as most people do - even some of the refusers went for separate doses rather than no vaccination.

Measles is a relatively mild disease. One in 1000 will die from it if contracted, so actually less deadly than seasonal flu - but are normal healthy people terrified of the flu? Measles deaths had fallen 70% in the UK by the time the vaccine was introduced in 1968 and there was nothing to say the downward trend wouldn't have continued. Indeed, if you assume the rate of decline had continued and no mass vaccination program had been introduced, the actually chance of someone dying of measles falls into millions to one - hit by lightning territory.

I haven't got a clue if MMR causes autism or the voracity of vaccine science but statistics irrefutably show that falls in many infectious disease were almost entire due to rises in living standards, so it's actually quite hard to point out a positive 'vaccine' effect.

Milder infectious diseases like measles are due to poor diet, poor housing, poor sanitation. If people gave a toss about reducing death rates among african children, the priority should be clean water and good sanitation and every penny spent on vaccines should be diverted to this effort.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I have to admit that if I had any children at the time of all the stories about MMR that I would not have had them be given the vaccine. I would have found the money to go to France and get the vaccine done separately or, failing that, not had it done.

Plenty of private clinics were offering it throughout the UK, and still are.

Archived