HOLA441
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

If the lessons are of high quality, and the students shut the f*** up, they wouldn't need to be longer.

They discussed it on R4 earlier and as usual, there was the presumption that poor kids all play video games at home time and hang around town centres while wealthy kids do 'educational stuff' during school holidays.

Rubbish, it's often the other way round. Museums and libraries are free, video games and shopping need money. Duh.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

(don't get me started on Uni.... 2 weeks work crammed into 3 years!)

It's become a bit of a right of passage and the 'two weeks' education bit of secondary importance. My own experience of education was starting late at almost 5 1/2 (because of a problem with the late boomer intake) and leaving at 15. Now some kids get double that, starting at 4 and making Uni the career option into their mid twenties.

HOLA4410

It's become a bit of a right of passage and the 'two weeks' education bit of secondary importance. My own experience of education was starting late at almost 5 1/2 (because of a problem with the late boomer intake) and leaving at 15. Now some kids get double that, starting at 4 and making Uni the career option into their mid twenties.

You also get people so indoctrinated into the education system that they don't want to leave and if they have to, they can't handle normal work.

I worked with a lady that had 3 degrees (all good subjects, from excellent universities), but she had no idea what the real world was about. Treated the boss like a tutor that she could go and have a cry with. Didn't understand why she was working with people without degrees and eventually went mental when she had to be let go.

HOLA4411

And when are teacher supposed to prepare for these extra lessons and do the extra marking?

Other than their first 'enthusiastic' year, has a teacher ever taken anything home?

Back in my day, all normal making was done during the lesson and the lessons mostly followed the book, so required little or no planning. Teachers always had a couple of free lessons per day.

Exam marking was separate, in the holidays, but they got paid by the boards for that.

I'd go as far as saying, if you could remove having to deal with nasty kids (which happens in some good schools), it must be the easiest job ever

Edit: obviously a uni lecturer is the easiest job in the world.

Edited by 57percent

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Schools should be open 8:30/9 to 5/5:30 to get kids used to working hours, combined with this I would do away with homework. The last hour or two could be spent doing the homework with a teacher in a supervisory capacity or on extra curricular activities.

The other teachers could use this time for lesson planning, for extra curricular activities the PE teacher could be in charge its not like they have to plan their lessons.

The holidays would also be cut down to 6/8 weeks. The difference being the kids would have no work to do while on holiday.

Problem kids should be disciplined, all the left wing nonsense treating them with kid gloves needs to go.

HOLA4414

I'd go as far as saying, if you could remove having to deal with nasty kids (which happens in some good schools), it must be the easiest job ever

A view shared by many. But not those who have tried it.

The situation is, a bad teacher (one who doesn't care, doesn't do much marking, doesn't look to extend themselves or their subject) can get a fairly easy ride. Anyone who wants to produce quality lessons has to put the time in.

Imagine a TV presenter being asked to present 4 hours of material a day, that they've prepared themselves. They wouldn't be able to do it. They have whole teams working behind them.

Imagine a company director having to lead 4 hours of meetings, type up minutes, prepare for the next day's meetings, all without the help of a secretary. And having to discipline the people in the meeting. And supervise those people outside of meetings. Ands chat with their parents. He/she couldn't do it.

I have no problem with teachers being expected to work more weeks in the year. But not at the rate that term-time goes off at. There would be a serious burn-out. Paying teachers more wouldn't help. Teachers would need secretaries.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The situation is, a bad teacher (one who doesn't care, doesn't do much marking, doesn't look to extend themselves or their subject) can get a fairly easy ride. Anyone who wants to produce quality lessons has to put the time in.

Imagine a TV presenter being asked to present 4 hours of material a day, that they've prepared themselves. They wouldn't be able to do it. They have whole teams working behind them.

Imagine a company director having to lead 4 hours of meetings, type up minutes, prepare for the next day's meetings, all without the help of a secretary. And having to discipline the people in the meeting. And supervise those people outside of meetings. Ands chat with their parents. He/she couldn't do it.

I have no problem with teachers being expected to work more weeks in the year. But not at the rate that term-time goes off at. There would be a serious burn-out. Paying teachers more wouldn't help. Teachers would need secretaries.

There is a lot to be said in that......why are the few poor teachers still teaching?....a pupil can easily tell a good teacher from a bad one.......give them a chance to vote on who they would like to see teach them and pay the dedicated talented and committed teachers more and manage out the ones that only end up doing more harm than good......all teachers should be good teachers. ;)

HOLA4417

And you have to repeat the lesson planning every year? Even if you're teaching the same stuff?

Is it not all very formulaic?

Yeah l never understood this. Its not bleeding edge content. Lesson plans should repeat (often the same teacher teaches same class (e.g. reception) for years.

All lesson plans should be in X format and we uploaded to at very least school level if not regional database document store.

Job done, now go get pissed.

HOLA4418

And you have to repeat the lesson planning every year? Even if you're teaching the same stuff?

Is it not all very formulaic?

All classes differ somewhat. Some of the same resources can be used (though a good teacher adapts them for the needs of the specific class). But differentiated tasks with suitable consolidation and extension are needed.

The reality is that the demand of marking (a set of 30 books might take anything from 45 minutes to two hours if done properly) means that lesson planning and preparation suffers. It is no surprise that teachers cut corners.

HOLA4419

There is a lot to be said in that......why are the few poor teachers still teaching?....a pupil can easily tell a good teacher from a bad one.......give them a chance to vote on who they would like to see teach them and pay the dedicated talented and committed teachers more and manage out the ones that only end up doing more harm than good......all teachers should be good teachers. ;)

In my mind there are way more than just a few poor teachers. And there aren't enough good people to replace them. Teaching isn't the high status job it once was, so that many potential good teachers go elsewhere...

HOLA4420

The thing is, we've all been to school for many years, so we've seen what teachers actually do.

.... unless it's changed massively, which I doubt.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Yeah l never understood this. Its not bleeding edge content. Lesson plans should repeat (often the same teacher teaches same class (e.g. reception) for years.

All lesson plans should be in X format and we uploaded to at very least school level if not regional database document store.

Spot on...in North Korea.

HOLA4423

Surely you only saw what they do in lesson times...?

Yes, but that was all they did.

Had a couple of younger, first year teachers, who would mark stuff away from the class (one even corrected spelling mistakes!!), but the rest just turned up, opened the text book and went from there. There was definitely nothing planned. Once a week, they set an exercise or some reading in class so they can mark some work. Quick skim, mark out of 10. Simple.

I mostly stared out the window.

HOLA4424

Surely you only saw what they do in lesson times...?

Which was often sit and mark whilst we got on with work.

Primary school - apart from the last year - we had the same teacher all day long. They didn't get a morning off every week to stay home and do 'planning'.

And they didn't have computers/internet back then to make life easy.

HOLA4425

Haha. Maths and history teachers are proper beevy merchants.

My history teacher in high school suffered serious gout from the drink.

I can't fathom the depth of soul destruction faced by folk that teach the same crud, year after year, to spotty faced sociopaths...especially as all forms of punishment have been removed by the feminazi management so pervasive in education.