House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiet Guy

Wingsuit Flight Through A Hole In A Rock Formation

Impressive, though the build-up was a bit disingenuous in suggesting that he had mere inches of clearance when he actually had loads.

Are you kidding? He jumped out of a chopper and at near terminal velocity navigated through a small hole.

Hats off to the guy - Balls of steel.

I suggest you re-read my post.

I watched it once but cannot watch it again. One wrong calculation, one gust of wind, one pigeon flying past him, one eye getting all wonky or a bit of grit in it... and SPLAT.

That was, at the same time, one of the bravest and most dangerous, and one of the most stupidest, things I have ever seen.

I watched it once but cannot watch it again. One wrong calculation, one gust of wind, one pigeon flying past him, one eye getting all wonky or a bit of grit in it... and SPLAT.

That was, at the same time, one of the bravest and most dangerous, and one of the most stupidest, things I have ever seen.

See the (adrenaline pumped?) glee on his face before setting off in the helicopter, heroically brave/stupid.

See the (adrenaline pumped?) glee on his face before setting off in the helicopter, heroically brave/stupid.

Yep, just went back and looked - sure was hyped up. Madness IMPO.

Edit:

The point of no return is reached very rapidly after he leaves the 'copter. Balls of steel 2013 award to him.

Balls of steel 2013 award to him.

Is that the flip side of a Darwin award?

Saw the thread title, my immediate thought was something with roots in the Mabinogion.

I totally get why people do stuff like that. Fair play to them.

Imagine the adrenaline rush, and how boring normal life must seem afterwards!

On January 16, 2012, in an accident while proximity flying off Table Mountain, Cape Town, South Africa, Corliss broke both ankles, three toes, and a fibula, tore his left Anterior cruciate ligament, and sustained a gash in his skin that required skin grafts to close. He struck his legs approximately halfway between the hip and knee on a rock ledge he was attempting to skim over while aiming at a target balloon.

http://www.zapiks.com/jeb-corliss-crash.html

I saw that. These guys are seriously nuts, and it doesn't always work out for them either.

Not for the timid:

The sound of him hitting the bridge was incredible.

The two blokes holding up the flag are the biggest nutters IMO. They wouldn't have a chance if he mucks it up and veers a bit either side.

Why wouldn't they just have it standing up by itself ?!

I have been reading a lot in recent days, and watching videos on youtube, of people climbing and descending Half Dome in Yosemite using two cables that are run up the rear of the rock.

It is nuts. Truly nuts. Loads of people have died on there over the years simply by slipping outside of the cables - once you slip outside you basically roll down the smooth, almost vertical, granite face to about a 2,000 ft drop on either side. Yet people climb up and down this face in t-shirts and almost casual walking gear. Very few even bother to hook themselves onto the cables despite it being a category 3 climb.

I have known about the climb for several years but had no idea that it is about a 17 mile round trip hike just to get to the Half Dome and back - with many of the people looking to climb it simply being unprepared in terms of fitness, water supply, clothing, etc.

There is a video on Youtube of a woman who slipped outside the cables and was only saved by, after falling a few hundred feet, smashing her head and body into a granite outcrop. Result was a smashed up body and a fractured skull - but she is still alive thanks to rescuers and medics.

I can't believe that so many people do this with no safety connection to the cables - one slip or you let go... or someone pushes you... and it is almost certain death. In comments you read about people being hit on the head by cans or bottles dropped from people above them.

Here is one of the videos of going up - it gets vertical and, when you are up near the top, you suddnely find that you have to climb over some raised granite slabs.

And coming down:

I can't believe that so many people do this with no safety connection to the cables - one slip or you let go... or someone pushes you... and it is almost certain death. In comments you read about people being hit on the head by cans or bottles dropped from people above them.

Looks horrific. I can't believe there aren't strict rules for using that route, i.e. safety harnesses. I would probably give it a go if it were more regulated, but I wouldn't put my life in the hands of others like that - only takes one idiot to slip and take you with them.

Looks far safer than Angels landing in Zion. I am most definitely not doing that one.