House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

Apple No Longer Worlds Biggest Company

link

Apple shares have hit their lowest levels in a year and half, after a supplier hinted at a slowdown in iPhone and iPad production.

The shares closed down $23.44, or 5.5%, at $402.80, the lowest level since December 2011, the Telegraph reports.

The decline means Apple has lost its position as the world's most valuable publicly traded company to Exxon Mobil. Apple has a market capitalisation of $378bn compared with Exxon's $385bn.

Late on Tuesday, Cirrus Logic, which supplies audio chips for the iPhone and iPad, said sales of a particular chip are slowing down as a customer moves to a newer component.

Analyst Peter Misek at Jefferies & Co. said Cirrus' news suggests a big decline in Apple sales in the April to June period.

That supports his view that Apple is unlikely to launch a new iPad Mini in the quarter, and that the next version of the full-size iPad may launch late in the quarter rather than early.

In the last three years, Apple has launched a new iPad in March or April.

Apple does not comment on its suppliers' announcements or its product plans. It is set to report results for the January to March quarter on Tuesday.

Patent thievery and aggressive marketing strategy can only get you so far.

Their next big 'innovation' is purported to be a television with round corners, probably with a one button remote control....

Apple sucks, always has. I don't understand folk who swear by it either.

Edited by cashinmattress

link

Patent thievery and aggressive marketing strategy can only get you so far.

Their next big 'innovation' is purported to be a television with round corners, probably with a one button remote control....

Apple sucks, always has. I don't understand folk who swear by it either.

I like Apple kit, but they certainly seem to have run out of ideas.

The report bemoans the fact that a new iPad won't be released in Mar/Apr as there has been in previous years, but they did sneak out an iPad '4' in the autumn for the first time in 2012 which was just another small incremental step over the last one. There has not been that much change from iPad 1-4 apart from a better screen.

The same with iPhone and quite a few of the Mac line - great products when they came out and the incremetal improvements have kept them fresh, but not fresh enough to be worth twice as much as the competition any more.

what can you do on an Ipad 4 which you couldnt do on an Ipad1

show people that you have the iPad4, which is the whole point of owning Apple.

I like Apple kit, but they certainly seem to have run out of ideas.

I use a macbook for my job (software developer), neither Windows nor Linux come anywhere close in terms of practicality, predictability, and sheer productivity. But the last few releases of OSX have been worrying - new features like the "magically disappearing scrollbars" are step backwards IMO.

I use a macbook for my job (software developer), neither Windows nor Linux come anywhere close in terms of practicality, predictability, and sheer productivity. But the last few releases of OSX have been worrying - new features like the "magically disappearing scrollbars" are step backwards IMO.

you mean that typing in code is much more productive on a Mac?

Indeed. And most mack users are on MS office anyway and running Intel chips.

I've got a colleague, who is an engineer, who insists his mack lappy is the business.

However joyful is appraisal is, he can't run most of the engineering software for his job on it? Strange addiction to branding I guess.

One third of the software/hardware for three times the price.

And those awful stores, full spotty kids selling gadgets to trashy people.

For me: yes [1]

[1] Notice the 'for me' disclaimer. Someone who works with dot net (i.e. windows-specific development) would - I guess! - find developing on Windows a lot better. YMMV and all that.

For me: yes [1]

[1] Notice the 'for me' disclaimer. Someone who works with dot net (i.e. windows-specific development) would - I guess! - find developing on Windows a lot better. YMMV and all that.

Same here, Microsoft SQL Server DBA by day, but wherever possible I always use my MacBook Air, simply the best machine I've ever had - by far!

On the innovation front, each release of iphone and ipad now is only a slight incremental improvement. Nothing radical anymore :-(

I think Google Glass could be the next one to watch - whether society accepts it or not though could be a deal breaker for it.

If you don't like Apple products, don't buy them - no-one's making you. What's the fuss about? Seriously, I don't get it.

I use Mac's and PC's. I happen to prefer Apple products and have owned Mac's since I bought a Classic (that's dated me).

Is it so different to people choosing say a Mercedes over a Ford? They both might do the same job but everyone has different priorities and personal preferences.

I think Google Glass could be the next one to watch - whether society accepts it or not though could be a deal breaker for it.

Are they going to do something for those of us who wear glasses already?

Are they going to do something for those of us who wear glasses already?

Google Eyes? Why restrict yourself to boring reality when Google can show you what would be much better..

Google Eyes? Why restrict yourself to boring reality when Google can show you what would be much better..

Not much use if I walk into something in the real world, no matter how good the augmentation.

Ok, your answer deals with the you're clearly not kidding part. I wasn't doubting what you said - apologies for any ambiguity.

Perhaps I should have written "you kidding!"

Anyway - what I still don't understand is the 'why?'

Is this just a cynical way to make more sales?

"Sorry sir, you can't let anyone else drive your car as we will deactivate the controls if you do".

Hmmm

I don't know what Apple's valuation should be - but they certainly don't deserve to be the biggest company in the world. For me, they have looked like they have been running on empty since the iPad (which was the last groundbreaking thing they did).

I rather like the Macbook Air. I think it's probably the best computer (for my needs) that I've ever owned. Light, silent, fast, reliable, good keyboard, robust, long battery life and decent sized screen - plus the ability to run practically any PC based operating system along MacOSX. Prior to that the Thinkpad X61 hit the spot for me.

I agree with earlier point about MacOSX. They have made quite a few backwards steps in recent years with the interface. Change is not always good.

I did have the first iPhone - when they were reduced in a sale. It was great at the time - but I think Huwei's G300 represents much better value for money nowadays than the more recent iPhone offerings. The iPhone 5 sure is nice to look at but all iPhones suffer from poorer reception, bizarre lock downs like tethering and are now five times the price of a decent(ish) Android smartphone. The price difference is unjustifiable - and the problems unforgivable.

The iPad I fall in and out of love with - mostly because input of text is really bad. It makes it ultimately a toy if you can only consume stuff with it. If they ever work out how to make a proper physically tactile keyboard pop out of the screen and recede back in again - they will have my money.

Google glasses - I can see I'll be a late adopter of these if all. I think there will be a lot of teething troubles - particularly with non-US voices - and they look pretty ugly. Apple could be the ones to show them how it should work (as they have others in the past) - but I'll be surprised if they manage it now Jobs isn't around any more.

Ok, your answer deals with the you're clearly not kidding part. I wasn't doubting what you said - apologies for any ambiguity.

Perhaps I should have written "you kidding!"

Anyway - what I still don't understand is the 'why?'

Is this just a cynical way to make more sales?

"Sorry sir, you can't let anyone else drive your car as we will deactivate the controls if you do".

Hmmm

Isn't the bricking just to stop developers, who get the glasses cheap, from selling them on for a profit.

seems a fair policy afaic

Doesn't say anything about users not selling their glasses, or did I miss something in my quick read of the article.

Edited by LiveinHope

I think an Apple TV set would have been out by now and been another iPod/iPhone hit but they can't screw the content providers in the way they want to. Even the existing Apple TV would be a big hit with an app store so you can run all the catchup services on it natively. It doesn't sell big because it doesn't do all that much.

But there are some good things Apple are doing that's way ahead of the competition. Some of the interactive educational books on iPad are really pretty great - no one else is really doing anything similar.

i think a bit of a crisis at Apple would do it good. In the early days of Mac OS X it was shaping up as the ultimate professional OS, now they don't even sell a MacPro in Europe and sell mindless consumer tat. And while a couple of years ago, the standard issue 'fancy phone' for mindless consumers was a 3GS or iPhone 4 now mindless consumers sport Galaxy phablets instead. The iPhone 5 is the best phone out there in terms of look and feel, speed and iPhone Apps still trounce the junk on Android, but mindless consumers now want big screens because that's the cool new thing.