House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Haggling Over Car Insurance Renewal Price

Anyone got any tips? gonna get on the phone tomorrow and thrash something out...I'm not repaying their auto renewal price (my policy has hovered around the same price for the last 3 years)...I've tried confused.com, but to get an exact comparison is a but difficult as the options (excess, hire car, breakdown, etc) is slightly difficult from one provider to another...

All I said last time round was "hmmm that's higher than I expected", and was promptly given a reduction.

Sometimes it really is that easy.

All I said last time round was "hmmm that's higher than I expected", and was promptly given a reduction.

Sometimes it really is that easy.

And some times it's not, like my renewal last month.

Aviva: hi how can we help

Me: I've just did a comparison online and it's cheaper.

Aviva: well we don't price match - do you get a courtesy car

Me: yes

Aviva: well we don't price match.

Me: please cancel,my direct debit

Aviva: ok

Tell them you've got a cheaper quote somewhere else but you'd like to show your loyalty to their company.

Also do a new customer quote and then argue the toss why a new customer gets treated better than you.

I will never haggle with the current provider. If I can get it cheaper elsewhere, I just move, I won't even grace them with a phone call.

However, a couple of years ago I was with ecar and the renewal price was about £300 I think. As a new customer using a comparison website, it was over £50 cheaper. So, I told them I was not renewing, used a different log-in name and password and took out a 'new' policy instead. All done by letter and email. Even got cashback using quidco as well.

I don't think they realised it because I was getting separate letters referring to different policies to the same address.

Admiral Multicar saved me a fortune

I found them shockingly expensive. I have 2 cars that they wanted over £1000 to cover them. I got separate policies for the 2 cars that totalled less than £700. (One with Swiftcover and one with Adrian Flux).

Did mine this week, called up, said whats your best price before I go and shop around, they knocked £40 off. Then went on confused, found best quote, then went and bought through quidco and got cashback. Total saving circa £140 on renewal quote assuming £40 cash back comes in.

Got my renewal quote a few weeks ago, £248. Went on confused.com, got a cheapest quote of £209. Phoned my insurance co and told them, they asked me if they could have my log-in details so I gave them that. (I use a separate email address and password for confused). They checked it, matched the policy in every way and re-quoted £199.

Got my renewal quote a few weeks ago, £248. Went on confused.com, got a cheapest quote of £209. Phoned my insurance co and told them, they asked me if they could have my log-in details so I gave them that. (I use a separate email address and password for confused). They checked it, matched the policy in every way and re-quoted £199.

Do your homework like you say....get quotes and ask if your existing insurance company can match like for like, most have a special department that deals with floating customers....sometimes better the devil you know if you have had a claim in the past and were happy with their service.......no good being the cheapest when it comes to having to claim and it ends up costing both time and extra money....I have never used confused com, they are owned by an insurance company, not saying they are not impartial but hey ho.....moneysupermarket are as good as any, and some insurance companies do not pay price comparison websites a percentage so they are not always mentioned on their sites.

Last time I got an extra £20 for letting them give a home quote.....waiting for them to contact on renewal date, worth a £20 savings.....many cos give new customers a discount, meaning having to change every year....they obviously not that interested in customer loyalty....by rights the more no claims discount you earn and the older you get up to a certain age the cheaper it should get each year, always used to.....small things make a difference to the price like where you park the car at night, how may miles you do pa, what job you do, where you live, your excess amount, etc.....remember they will always try and sell you add-ons that can mount up, do you really need them? ;)

Anyone got any tips? gonna get on the phone tomorrow and thrash something out...I'm not repaying their auto renewal price (my policy has hovered around the same price for the last 3 years)...I've tried confused.com, but to get an exact comparison is a but difficult as the options (excess, hire car, breakdown, etc) is slightly difficult from one provider to another...

Just get on one of the comparison sites and select the cheapest. I can fit this neatly in with my collection of cars:

1) Courtesy car - don't care, I'll just use a different car

2) Speed of repair - don't care, I'll just use a different car

3) Quality of repair - do care, but no insurance company will do a decent job, so paying more is a waste of money.

4) Quality of "customer experience" - it will be shit, no point in paying for a better grade of shit.

5) Excess - I generally set this to max if it makes a difference to price. I'm never going to claim for anything less than a grand, so might as well have that as the excess.

So this year insured with some outfit I'd never heard of for £196 - for a 2.5 litre car, SD&P + commuting, fully comp. Seems cheap to me. Current provider was £260, no I didn't bother phoning them. If they want my business, they should get on the comparison site before the send my renewal in.

Anyone got any tips?

Renewing my insurance in March I made the mistake of telling them I had split with my partner so she could be removed from the policy as a named driver. I thought I would get a reduction but no they charged me more! They said the stats show that couples are less likely to have an accident. So now the car is at home in the garage on the days that she would have been driving it but it costs me more.

I got a reduction because my car and recovery insurance were separate. They added the recovery to the car insurance which made it cheaper and next year both renewals will be together.

I will never haggle with the current provider. If I can get it cheaper elsewhere, I just move, I won't even grace them with a phone call.

The problem is that in most cases, the new insurer will demand a proof of NCB certificate, and the old one will make issuing one as difficult as possible: sorry, we can't send one out on a phone call, you have to write to us by recorded delivery requesting one, etc. etc.

Renewing with the same provider saves a lot of admin hassle, and they know it.

The last 2 times, I've just enclosed the renewal letter that states the amount of NCB you have. Separate proof is not required.

Merely stating your previous policy number is now sufficient for most providers, since they can check the Motor Insurers Database for details.

The last 2 times, I've just enclosed the renewal letter that states the amount of NCB you have. Separate proof is not required.

Merely stating your previous policy number is now sufficient for most providers, since they can check the Motor Insurers Database for details.

Interesting. The last time I changed insurers (August 2011), the one I was leaving made it as difficult as they could to get a proof-of-NCB document out of them.

Interesting. The last time I changed insurers (August 2011), the one I was leaving made it as difficult as they could to get a proof-of-NCB document out of them.

Last but three I think going from more than to elephant they just went upstairs and got the proof themself.

One thing i've noticed though is that some insurers put different things for NCB, eg: I might have 15 years NCB but on the renewal it shows up only as 10 and when I questioned the company they claimed that was as high as their NCB went!

Another insurance company said they don'tt check NCB and it was up to me to prove it in the event of a claim. Sounds dodgy.

So i've kept all my insurance docs going back to about 2002 so I can hopefully prove my true NCB if necessary.

I don't trust 'em !

Last year at renewal tiime I was playing around with different scenarios to see what difference certain things made to price and was suprised to find my quote was more expensive if the car was garaged rather than left on the drive. How queer.....

Last year at renewal tiime I was playing around with different scenarios to see what difference certain things made to price and was suprised to find my quote was more expensive if the car was garaged rather than left on the drive. How queer.....

Do you have the sort of vehicle, nobody would "intentionally" steal? :huh:

In some cases it is also cheaper for fully comp rather than just third party, so always worth checking for both. All to do with claims made apparently and in some cases there are less claims for fully comp that the risk overall (and therefore the premium) is less for fully comp than for third party cover.

Third party used to be the cheap deal! If

YOU winkle it , well shoot you! You pay for it ! Not like that any more! :huh: