House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quibble

Thatcher: The Lady's Not Returning

Thatcher: The Lady's not Returning

Amazing what she achieved, Didn't agree with most of her policies.... But can't believe that nobody has spotted the above pun yet.

Thatcher: The Lady's not Returning

Amazing what she achieved, Didn't agree with most of her policies.... But can't believe that nobody has spotted the above pun yet.

I tweeted it the day she died

Damn. That's the problem with the interweb. There's always someone out there quicker/smarter than you. :P

and they buried her today. RIP.

We're overdue another real leader. Where is one to come from?

Of all the true and false things said about Thatcher the one that gets up my nose the most is talk about how she divided the UK .

It's used by people who want to criticise her but feel they ought not to or are unable to so they use that word instead .

Of all Thatchers achievements / failings then this is the least intuitive observation.

The Uk was wholly and utterly divided in the 70's when she took office , millions of days were lost in strikes, governments were brought down by industrial action, the government imposed a three day week to save energy on a dispute and in some areas NF thugs could walk round assaulting bystanders of a different colour .

Was this the consensus she destroyed ? Or did she simply achieve victory after years of dispute between sides ?

In the same sentence I hear too many commentators state she divided society and that her legacy was that she left behind a consensus orthodoxy in uk politics !!! She can't have done both surely ?

Of all the true and false things said about Thatcher the one that gets up my nose the most is talk about how she divided the UK .

I recently saw a film about another divisive leader. Abraham Lincoln was so divisive he was at war with half his country. There are striking parallels in terms of who they both upset so badly: vested interests who depended on forced exploitation of someone else.

Indeed, is there not a tautology in the phrase "divisive leader"? If you don't confront anything, you're not leading, you're just an administrator.

I recently saw a film about another divisive leader. Abraham Lincoln was so divisive he was at war with half his country. There are striking parallels in terms of who they both upset so badly: vested interests who depended on forced exploitation of someone else.

Indeed, is there not a tautology in the phrase "divisive leader"? If you don't confront anything, you're not leading, you're just an administrator.

Great point , Stalin, Hitler, Mao were all unifiers .