House Price Crash Forum

What Three Practical Skills Would You Like To Possess?

OnionTerror

HOLA441

Just thinking about it this afternoon...things that spring to mind are:

1. Mechanic - love to be able to build a kitcar, or just become better mechanically minded...
  2. Play a musical instrument really well - probably a guitar..have done lessons in the past, but haven't touched it for a few years (fnarr fnarr)...
  3. Speak another language fluently - did german at school, but I'd like to come really proficient at something, maybe spanish...

I could have added "become good at programming" (as i've just taken it up), but thats a bit boring...I'm sure there are loads i've missed...

HOLA442

1. Build a bike from scratch http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/custom_bike_frames-About_The_Course-44.php - OK, I'd just do the frame once but I'd really like to become a decent bike mechanic (I'm a bit crap, really)

2. A really good cook. I've cooked about 3 times in my life - and two of those were inedible. No kidding. But I love watching cookery programmes and would love to be able to turn my garden produce into grub. My family laugh at me and I'm banned from the kitchen :(

3. Navigator (while sailing). I used to be OK. But then I got a GPS and chartplotter with tidal info. I'd like to become really good at the old ways.

HOLA443

1. The ability to sing.

2. The ability to fly (with no extra hardware - like Superman does).

3. The ability to seduce any woman effortlessly.

I know .... one of these is unrealistic...I'll never be able to sing...

HOLA444

2. A really good cook. I've cooked about 3 times in my life - and two of those were inedible. No kidding. But I love watching cookery programmes and would love to be able to turn my garden produce into grub. My family laugh at me and I'm banned from the kitchen :(

You can learn. Really. Not hard.

1, I think I'd like to be better at driving. I think it's mostly confidence and prefering to gaze out of the window at houses, fields, sheep etc.

2. I'd like more plot creating skill.

3. I'd like to be better at painting.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

2. A really good cook.

It's just warming up food. Like photography a hugely overrated skill.

For me

1) Play an instrument (guitar). I try, but I'm just not good.

2) Sing

3) Be interested in 'cultural' stuff. The amount of times I have to go and see something while on holiday and spend the whole time totally bored.

HOLA4410

1. Mechanic - love to be able to build a kitcar, or just become better mechanically minded...

2. Play a musical instrument really well - probably a guitar..have done lessons in the past, but haven't touched it for a few years (fnarr fnarr)...

3. Speak another language fluently - did german at school, but I'd like to come really proficient at something, maybe spanish...

I could have added "become good at programming" (as i've just taken it up), but thats a bit boring...I'm sure there are loads i've missed...

Programming is boring and no way to live your life.

I would concur with your 3.

I would like to play the piano. Spanish seems a very practical language. Chinese Mandarin also interests me but is supposed to be very difficult. Speaking English is something we take for granted but are very lucky to be able to do IMPO.

Singing is also a good one - I have often envied those who have a God-given beautiful voice. People have made fortunes from that and nothing else.

HOLA4411

1. Guitar is always a popular musical instrument to learn to play - but I've always liked to play the keyboards. Most of my favourite bands have a keyboard player. I like listening to 70s prog rock with their heavy use of keyboards. B)

2. Be a bit more entrepreneurial. I enjoy my job as an employee for the public sector :ph34r: and wouldn't dream of leaving it as things stand. However, having a sideline business that I could work on in the evenings and weekends would be fab. Using the extra cash would allow me to put down a deposit on some 'overpriced' house. ;)

3. Be a more fluid orator. To influence people, gain their interest. Would be good for chatting up women too. :D

HOLA4412

I would like to play the piano. Spanish seems a very practical language. Chinese Mandarin also interests me but is supposed to be very difficult. Speaking English is something we take for granted but are very lucky to be able to do IMPO.

Singing is also a good one - I have often envied those who have a God-given beautiful voice. People have made fortunes from that and nothing else.

I just find it "embarrassing" in a way, when you go to a foreign country, and you expect them to speak english...I know you cant learn every language on earth, but to me, that's sort of not right...

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

That first sentence of yours is a sweeping statement TMT - you wouldn't have bee able to communicate that to tis very forum if it wasn't the programmers.

Mine:

1. Programming with the times (I'm getting onto this, have been for 25 years I guess!)

2. Play the piano.

3. Know the rotation of the seasons and when/how/where to grow stuff.

4. Knitting!

5. Learning how to count.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

A good selection. I'd swop carpentry for mechanics and Italian for German (I've got Italian ancestry but my Italian is cr@p, no excuse) but the principle's the same.

All of these things are doable of course...

HOLA4417

3. Know the rotation of the seasons and when/how/where to grow stuff.

I'm reasonably on top of that kind of stuff. Unfortunately, with the weather the UK's been having the last few years you might as well cut to the chase and ask the tooth fairy to make you psychic. That or score a really big greenhouse.

HOLA4418

1). The ability to get inside Shania Twain's pants.

That'd do, actually. ;)

That don't impress me much.

A good OP list so mine would be similar.

-Definitely a language fluently (well why stop at one?)

-Piano would be my instrument of choice, I think it sounds the best one as a soloist

-An ability to construct things when needed (I'd like to be able to build things to a good quality, rather than just bodge them).

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

1) ice skate. I'd really live to do this but I'm really not a fan of falling over. I tried as a teenager and was hopeless. I would love to have the confidence to try again.

2) play an instrument. My father plays piano and tried to teach me but to no avail.

3) speak another language.

Quite a few have mentioned the same things. I wonder if most of us are quietly impressed when we meet somebody who can do those things.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I'd like to be able to:

1) Weld (MIG will do me, TIG would be gravy)

2) Play awesome rock guitar- at least good enough for a pub band. I could actually sing really well before my voice broke, but now I 'just don't have the range darling'- tried doing 'Summer of 69' at a Karaoke night last year, and totally failed. I don't think singing lessons will be able to extend my tenor range from E to G, sadly :(. So since I love Rock, guitar it is.

3) Drive a fast car and/or ride a fast bike to near professional standard. I've had a few passenger rides in cars with people who know what they're doing, and it's always awesome. You'd think that you could just sense the G's you're pulling round a corner when you're a passenger, internalise them and translate it to your own driving, but I've never been able to do it.

Archived