House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Price Of Flights

Just looked at booking some flights in the summer. Is it me or are they really expensive nowadays?

I don't fly much but make the same journey every year and they keep going up and up. (this is band A tax do no tax increase this year)

Just looked at booking some flights in the summer. Is it me or are they really expensive nowadays?

I don't fly much but make the same journey every year and they keep going up and up. (this is band A tax do no tax increase this year)

http://www.iata.org/publications/economics/fuel-monitor/Pages/price-analysis.aspx

Buffett bought a railway.

Less people flying so they are doing the estate agent game - putting the price up for the suckers who do.

on the route I need, reduced number of carriers and flights than years gone by. Around £400 each to get to Greece.

Just wondering if more frequent flyers were seeing the same? The "I went to within 100 miles of the actual city I wanted with sleazyair for 50p" brigade need not repsond.

Nope. You are right. But it has also more than tripled since 2000. :)

I'm seeing 50-60% increases in 4 to 5 years. 250 used to be normal, now 400 is lucky

The route I fly 4-5 times a year (MME-FAI on KLM/Delta) has probably increased around 10-15% in the four years that I've been doing so, ranging from around £500 for midweek flights in winter to £900 for peak travel times between Independence and Labor days (the most expensive period to fly to/from or within the US). When I started flying this route regularly the range was typically £450-800. There have been short-term peaks and troughs, though, mainly, I suspect, linked to the oil price.

Oddly enough, most of that increase is accounted for by hikes in air passenger duty. The cost of the flights themselves has stayed around the same, allowing for inflation.

We had a sweet spot about 5-10 years ago. I did a lot of trips super cheap. LA for £180. New York many times for around £200-250. All over Europe for around £50 (varying).

Everything seems a lot more now. Paid nearly £1k to get to San Fran and that seemed fairly standard now.

Trips to Europe nearly always over £100.

Oddly enough, most of that increase is accounted for by hikes in air passenger duty. The cost of the flights themselves has stayed around the same, allowing for inflation.

This. The government has increased air passenger duty considerably in recent years especially for long haul flights. Several Caribbean governments have been complaining to the UK government about this as it hits tourism in the Caribbean.

The other reason is the loss of value of the Pound over the last 5 years and the inflation that followed from that.

It's not rocket science.

Weaker pound and more taxes on flights in the UK explains nearly all of it.

Flights aren't more expensive in Swiss francs.

Tax (APD) on European short haul is £13

I'm off to Amsterdam (on business!) on Monday, from Manchester, via Easy Jet, for under £50 all in.

Consider that a Virgin train at the same time of day, to London, is over £200 return.

Not if you book in advance, managed to get £45 return from Manchester to London last week 2 days before travel, but normally yes it's a complete rip off.

I'm off to Amsterdam (on business!) on Monday, from Manchester, via Easy Jet, for under £50 all in.

Consider that a Virgin train at the same time of day, to London, is over £200 return.

Every few months, think about taking a trip to london, leisure, then I look up the price of train tickets, account for the number of us and decide to stay at home.

If you haven't been to Schiphol on a low-cost airline before, one potential gotcha is that they use a very distant part of the terminal complex that is probably around a mile's walk from the point at which your passport and boarding pass is checked as you go airside. I once caught a Jet2 back to Leeds by the skin of my teeth, because I usually take KLM (almost all their UK flights go from D6, which is only 2-3 minutes' walk from the passport check) and didn't realise just how long the walk was. To whatever is the normal time in advance you would aim to arrive at the airport for your return flight, I'd suggest adding half an hour.

The other thing to note is that the the x-ray and baggage checkpoint is towards the end of that half-hour walk (at the entrance to the pier with the low-cost gates), and once past that point there are absolutely no retail outlets of any description. In particular, if you're feeling thirsty, have a drink before this point, because you won't be allowed to take it through and you won't be able to get another one until you're on the plane.

Just a thought but presumably a lot of the costs of flying are denominated in US$ - could this be the cause?

I'm seeing 50-60% increases in 4 to 5 years. 250 used to be normal, now 400 is lucky

Wow that is expensive for a european flight.

Is this a Greek specific thing?

Wow that is expensive for a european flight.

Is this a Greek specific thing?

Thats what I want to know.

Next year at this rate 2 adults 2 small children (6 & 2) will likely be well over £1500 just for flights.

Thats what I want to know.

Next year at this rate 2 adults 2 small children (6 & 2) will likely be well over £1500 just for flights.

Glad i don't have kids. Holidays when school is out rocket in price.

You've family in Greece? Otherwise why not go to somewhere else in the area. Flights look cheaper to Cyprus / Turkey / Croatia etc.

Glad i don't have kids. Holidays when school is out rocket in price.

You've family in Greece? Otherwise why not go to somewhere else in the area. Flights look cheaper to Cyprus / Turkey / Croatia etc.

Family

Summer is why it is expensive....they will charge the max they can get, fewer people travelling more than once a year, therefore they are more inclined to spend more on their first choice, most often in the summer when they will take the family. ;)

Every few months, think about taking a trip to london, leisure, then I look up the price of train tickets, account for the number of us and decide to stay at home.

I've got to go from London to Newcastle in July, I must be completely out of touch because I thought the train fare would be about £50 return. ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY POUNDS.

Coach takes over 7 hours and is a non starter. Driving the same. Flying quicker option, but more expensive than train with taxes etc.

The website is telling me to book in advance as it's cheaper. WTF, this is the cheap fare. I haven't booked anything yet but I guess I should do it now? Any tips?