House Price Crash Forum

Free School Meals May Be Scrapped

HOLA441

25 billion is on the low end.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=185178&view=findpost&p=909197916

" in 2001-02 excluding oil companies corporation tax from large companies was £21 billion. In 2011-12 it was £11 billion. If the rate of increase of corporation tax receipts was the same from these companies as for SME's they would be paying around £45 billion. Factor in that our economy is dominated even more by large corporations now than in 2001 and the missing amount grows even more. "

I'm not sure I follow the logic completely, but even if true and the £25Bn is say £40Bn then that still leaves in excess of £250/month per household to cover the remaining deficit.

I suggest my original point hold true: State spending is at unsustainable levels. It's nowhere near balanced with what citizens are prepared/able to pay for. The sooner we confront this obvious truth, the better. It is totally immoral to put future generations on the hook because we can't manage to be honest with ourselves.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

My mate used to get given a meal token in the eighties. He gave them to me as he went home very lunchtime and cooked himself something he had a made from leftovers from his restaurant job the night before.

He was a resourceful lad, after a while a group of us regularly went to his for lunch and gave him our dinner money. I distinctly remember having chicken supreme and beef wellington haha!

He also used to get given free school ties and blazers but his family really had nothing and lifted in dickensian squalour.

HOLA443

I just learned yesterday that you have to pay for your kids meals in schools in my region.

What. The. F0ck. And hardly any gym equipment, that is gotten through donations and charity. REALLY? What sort of ******ing third world country is England. Please tell me there are good schools where stuff like this is bought by the school, instead of paying various different heads fantasy salaries.

Dear lord.

OMG! You have to pay to feed your own child!? IT's an outrage

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The findings emerged from a “war gaming” exercise conducted with more than 50 senior council officials in which they were challenged to produce a budget for a fictional authority, but based on real spending data and economic modelling from the Local Government Association.

Turkeys won't vote to cut their own wages - evidently.

..a “war gaming” exercise..

More and more farce.

Why not just carry out a basic and simple accountancy exercise along with "economic modelling" principles like 2 + 2 = 4.

Edited by billybong

HOLA447

People whose children are entitled to free school meals would almost certainly already be getting child tax credits and child benefit which add up to about £70-£75 per week per child. Isn't this money supposed to be used to feed and clothe their children? I don't see why this can't be used to pay for free school meals as nobody needs £70 per week per child, things like clothing can be bought second hand or cheaply in Primark and they would get things like school trips for free anyway. I don't see the problem with this.

It is sort of included in some benefits but not all - it's a very interestingly confusing thing if you start to look into it.

HOLA448

I’ve advocated that for years; government workers should have any earnings over £25,000 cut in half.

That would certainly reduce the starting salary of the job below to just over 45k. Mind you, not my idea of an easy way to earn 45k, compared to private sector jobs out there but each to their own. I've been self-employed for a few years now after employment in the public sector. Looking to go back into permanent employment and I will be off to the private sector based on the salary you can expect for the job you have to do.

Job Title:

Associate Director of Operations

Employer:

Coventry & Warwickshire Partnership Trust (CWPT)

Department:

Secondary Care Mental Health Services

Coventry

Salary:

£65,922 to £81,618 pa

The post holder will manage an expenditure budget of £58.5 million and a headcount of 1300 wte.

Linky

HOLA449

Free school meals could soon be scrapped

They get more than enough money to feed their fat little grunters

Closures of municipal theatres,

Never felt the need to go watch some 'performance theatre' by the West Islington gay lesbian bisexual transgender anti nuclear hamster wool farming co-operative.

leisure centres,

Never use them, full of fat sweaty people with poor personal hygiene

libraries

Full of scary weirdoes and no books on anything you'd want to look at unless you are into hamster wool farming

play groups

You had them, look after them yourselves

HOLA4410

Free school meals could soon be scrapped

They get more than enough money to feed their fat little grunters

Closures of municipal theatres,

Never felt the need to go watch some 'performance theatre' by the West Islington gay lesbian bisexual transgender anti nuclear hamster wool farming co-operative.

leisure centres,

Never use them, full of fat sweaty people with poor personal hygiene

libraries

Full of scary weirdoes and no books on anything you'd want to look at unless you are into hamster wool farming

play groups

You had them, look after them yourselves

On the plus side, we won't bump into you there.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Unreal the parasites as usual - trimming at the edges yet doing nothing to improve the value from our tax spend.

Never mind cutting the school meals and other tinkering while maintaining the status quo what about sacking 75% of the so called "workers" in the public sector starting at the top.

Useless, generally incompetent and the majority of the endless layers of paper shufflers unneeded.

There is an article in my local paper claiming over 50% of the local councils employees are bullied........what were they asked to do a bit ? Take less that their "statutory" 30 days sick a year ? Eating high on the hog while the country goes to the dogs.

Lets sack the lot and start again !

HOLA4415

School dinners were never free but Thatcher took away free milk for the kids at school.

Thatcher did us a favour. Not withstanding the fact that (even as a kid) I didn't particularly like drinking milk, and certainly haven't drunk milk on its own since the early 70s. Bear in mind it wasn't refrigerated and left outside in the playground to cook during the summer and go sour.

I always cringe when adults are offered milk in (usually) old films. May as well have some Johnson's baby food to go with it.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

School canteens were relentlessly horrible back in the day! Truly awful rubbery indescribable "meat", and overdone vegetables! You were better off bringing in sandwiches! I can't imagine the situation has changed! :huh:

HOLA4418

School canteens were relentlessly horrible back in the day! Truly awful rubbery indescribable "meat", and overdone vegetables! You were better off bringing in sandwiches! I can't imagine the situation has changed! :huh:

My link

Most 'school dinners' are now provided by a contracted private company at great expense. If anything, the quality is worse.

HOLA4419

People whose children are entitled to free school meals would almost certainly already be getting child tax credits and child benefit which add up to about £70-£75 per week per child. Isn't this money supposed to be used to feed and clothe their children? I don't see why this can't be used to pay for free school meals as nobody needs £70 per week per child, things like clothing can be bought second hand or cheaply in Primark and they would get things like school trips for free anyway. I don't see the problem with this.

So cut the tax credits and the child benefit then.

Giving kids free school meals guarantees that the spending benefits the children, and not the parent.

I'd go further. Free travel, free uniforms, free shoes even.

HOLA4420

Wow that is amazing says something how biased the media is today that you rarely hear that.

Wilson doesn't rhyme with Snatcher.

Also, Thatcher defined the politics of our time, Wilson didn't, so no-one really talks much about him in any context.

Mostly, it's just the rhyming thing though.

And yes, school milk was horrible. Ugh.

• 7 months later...
HOLA4421

There is nothing free about it. It should be for parents to apply for their child to have assistance if they are unable to meet costs of providing packed-lunches or paying for school dinners. I notice a Swansea story I've just read is considering upping the costs of school meals to help with the deficit they're running.

Is Nick Clegg's free school meals idea turning into a dog's dinner?

Hannah Fearn

The Guardian, Tuesday 10 December 2013

He's not alone. "I have to say that our preparations have not really passed beyond the 'thinking about it' stage at present," says Michael Dix, headteacher at Glebelands primary school in Leicester. He's one of a growing number who are sceptical whether the idea will ever become a reality.

..For some headteachers, like Mountstephen, however, the free meals scheme will be offered with a heavy heart. "I serve a fairly affluent part of a fairly affluent city in a fairly affluent part of the country. We don't need it. This is a prodigious sum of money, it's a biblical sum in a cash-strapped service. Frankly, it's a bizarre thing to be doing."

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/dec/10/nick-clegg-free-school-meals-policy-headteachers-sceptical

HOLA4422

I think the best way of doing this is to treat the prime residence the same as any other asset. It seems disgraceful to me that you can have £16,001 in a savings account and nothing else and get absolutely nothing, but own a £3million house and have £5k savings and get every benefit there is. At some point it will be liquidated and have a cash value anyway...

...I also think that is unfair.......more tax on wealth, less tax on income..... ;)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

And yes, school milk was horrible. Ugh.

It's a long time ago but I vaguely remember having a strategy :D . I think we were given our milk at about 11am, but we were sent over to the other side of the hall to the crate to get our own 1/3-pint bottles. I learned that the bottles with the most condensation on the outside were the coldest (often on one half of the crate), so got there early to pick one of the best/coldest ones. Also I learned and not to dilly-dally and drink it quicker before it had a chance to warm up! Following that, it was generally ok.

HOLA4425