House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest eight

Converting Dvds To Digital Format

Guest eight

All,

Presume for a moment that I'm not only a luddite but also an idiot too.

We have a lot of DVD's cluttering up the place. I'd like to put them all on some kind of hard drive type device - I'm aware that I'm probably about one thousand million years behind the times here but what hardware/software would folks recommend for doing this?

Normal DVD watching is done either via the laptop or XBox - keeping it that way would be great.

Ta.

All,

Presume for a moment that I'm not only a luddite but also an idiot too.

We have a lot of DVD's cluttering up the place. I'd like to put them all on some kind of hard drive type device - I'm aware that I'm probably about one thousand million years behind the times here but what hardware/software would folks recommend for doing this?

Normal DVD watching is done either via the laptop or XBox - keeping it that way would be great.

Ta.

Hands down it's going to be HandBrake for me.

http://handbrake.fr/

Guest eight

Hands down it's going to be HandBrake for me.

http://handbrake.fr/

Thanks for the quick response - in my searches on the internet Handbrake came up quite a lot so there must be something in it. Surprised this process isn't covered in more detail out there though - suggests either very few people do it, or everybody except me does it so don't need the ins and out explaining to them......

Can't wait to see empty shelves.

BTW DVDs already are in digital format, you could just copy them to your hard disk. What you are asking about is copying them and compressing them at the same time. Which Handbrake amongst others will do. At least for the non copy protected DVDs which can be a pain.

Thanks for the quick response - in my searches on the internet Handbrake came up quite a lot so there must be something in it. Surprised this process isn't covered in more detail out there though - suggests either very few people do it, or everybody except me does it so don't need the ins and out explaining to them......

Can't wait to see empty shelves.

Its fast and makes for a good rip. Just be aware of the formats it creates. *.mp4, *.m4v, and *.mkv

Not all these can be used on all media players, but with VLC player or Winamp on the lappy it works just fine. The XBOX should be able to play the *.mp4 format.

Handbrake is ok if you don't mind or actually want the movies to be compressed further which saves disk space but affects quality (most of the time you won't notice it but sometimes you will).

An alternative is DVDFab which isn't free but can back up pretty much everything (including Blurays) and you can choose whether to back up the whole DVD 1:1 with all extras or only the main movie and whether to compress it or not.

http://www.dvdfab.com/

You can download a free copy of DVDFab and test it for a while (IIRC 30 days) before you have to register and pay for it.

Handbrake is ok if you don't mind or actually want the movies to be compressed further which saves disk space but affects quality (most of the time you won't notice it but sometimes you will).

An alternative is DVDFab which isn't free but can back up pretty much everything (including Blurays) and you can choose whether to back up the whole DVD 1:1 with all extras or only the main movie and whether to compress it or not.

http://www.dvdfab.com/

You can download a free copy of DVDFab and test it for a while (IIRC 30 days) before you have to register and pay for it.

Or use DVDShrink, which is free. You can copy 1:1 or shrink a DVD to a custom size with it. Can't do Bluray though.

Or use DVDShrink, which is free. You can copy 1:1 or shrink a DVD to a custom size with it. Can't do Bluray though.

I don't think I've ever watched a 'ripped# film in electronic format with a 1:1 compressionless format.

Plenty of torrents out there for films in hi-res blue ray, if you want to download 6 Gb of data.

It's all irrelevant nowadays really, with the likes of LOVEFiLM and Netflix on demand.

Why bother to store anything when you can do it from a cloud at less than £10/mo?

Why bother to store anything when you can do it from a cloud at less than £10/mo?

It all adds up. Why pay again for movies you own already?

I don't mind using real disks! But my BluRay player is broken again! :blink:

I have a DVD with some old video college projects on, I want to extract them for further editing (in Sony Vegas), any recommendations for this? (Obviously, I want free!)

I've always used Gordian Knot, but I've been using it for so long that better stuff may be around.

Gordian Knot is the best app that I've used but is a bit hard to master. I ripped an entire Family Guy DVD-9 boxset using GK which took weeks but the quality is spot on. To be honest though if you've got the DVD's just take them out of their cases and put them in a DVD folder and get out in the sun. Life's too short to be ripping DVD's.

Gordian Knot is the best app that I've used but is a bit hard to master. I ripped an entire Family Guy DVD-9 boxset using GK which took weeks but the quality is spot on. To be honest though if you've got the DVD's just take them out of their cases and put them in a DVD folder and get out in the sun. Life's too short to be ripping DVD's.

AFAIK, ripping will never be 100% spot on, but with DVDs, it wouldn't matter as much as, say blu-ray...