House Price Crash Forum

Downward Spiral Of High St Retail Cont.

That's hardly a surprise.

Most big box superstores contain everything a family needs so why bother to go to the town centre... to find and pay for parking... trundle around bored children past shell suited chavs...pay over the odds for everything.

^^ This is why the Walmart et al model has worked so well.

Example of a Walmart I visited in Alabama years ago whilst on work; you could get beer, guns and ammo, fishing kit, kids cloths, tyres and gadgets, and finish it off with a big mac.

By the way, I support the town centres and am willing to put up with a bit of inconvenience and do my best to avoid big box stores when picking up consumables and sundries.

On the other hand, I do all my media shopping on-line, and seldom use any retailer for a serious purchase due to the monopoly nature of it all.

One thing I'm aware of from friends who work in the loss prevention (security) business is that big box stores everywhere face massive losses from shoplifting, especially internally from employees, and for whatever reason seem to attract the paedo's, I guess due to big toy aisles?

That's hardly a surprise.

Most big box superstores contain everything a family needs so why bother to go to the town centre... to find and pay for parking... trundle around bored children past shell suited chavs...pay over the odds for everything.

^^ This is why the Walmart et al model has worked so well.

Example of a Walmart I visited in Alabama years ago whilst on work; you could get beer, guns and ammo, fishing kit, kids cloths, tyres and gadgets, and finish it off with a big mac.

By the way, I support the town centres and am willing to put up with a bit of inconvenience and do my best to avoid big box stores when picking up consumables and sundries.

On the other hand, I do all my media shopping on-line, and seldom use any retailer for a serious purchase due to the monopoly nature of it all.

One thing I'm aware of from friends who work in the loss prevention (security) business is that big box stores everywhere face massive losses from shoplifting, especially internally from employees, and for whatever reason seem to attract the paedo's, I guess due to big toy aisles?

What is the incentive to shop in the town centre...ludicrous anti motorist traffic flow systems...huge parking cost... aggressive traffic wardens... deliberately obscured parking meters...the alternative is uncomfortable and expensive public transport...local councils need to wake up...the motorist is no longer paying for their achieve nothing empires.

Edited by THE BALD MAN

Tesco deliver my food and everything else get bought online.

Have you actually BEEN into a town center lately? A depressing and intimidating place.

Parking problems, rude staff, chuggers, aggressive begging and a constant (justified) fear of crime.

Excluding those serving you, few people you see there will have a job, and in many towns few will speak English.

My final reason for travelling into town - an eye test - can now be done at Asda.

Recenly we went 40 mins out of our way to go to a Large Tesco to do a bit of everything shop. i got some new clothes, picked up a couple Blu_rays, some books, some stationary supplies had a look at the TV's and got some tupperware. then also did the food shop and bought some discounted alcohol.

why do i need to go in to the Town Centre?

Recenly we went 40 mins out of our way to go to a Large Tesco to do a bit of everything shop. i got some new clothes, picked up a couple Blu_rays, some books, some stationary supplies had a look at the TV's and got some tupperware. then also did the food shop and bought some discounted alcohol.

why do i need to go in to the Town Centre?

Did you speak to anyone? See anyone you know?

Town centres, use 'em or lose 'em.

1366106842[/url]' post='909304897']

What is the incentive to shop in the town centre...ludicrous anti motorist traffic flow systems...huge parking cost... aggressive traffic wardens... deliberately obscured parking meters...the alternative is uncomfortable and expensive public transport...local councils need to wake up...the motorist is no longer paying for their achieve nothing empires.

My local councils response was to earmark 6 free parking spots (from a total of about 140), as short stay 30 minutes maximum. I don't think their budgets can allow for a dose of reality..............yet. As a matter of interest, i was once the designated driver for a works night out on the same high street. Found to my surprise the main carpark had a fee structure operating 24/7.

Did you speak to anyone? See anyone you know?

Funnily enough i did bump into a friend in Tesco.

Southampton to me is not and inviting place to be. traffic is horrible, parking charges etc. then you have the shops themselves. mostly overpriced, where i can get the same item cheaper online, unless i really need it now. Clothes are over priced and the quality of most shops has dropped, and the quality of supermarket branded clothing is much more value for money.

so i normally end up buying nothing or very little, all for the cost of £2-5 for parking (depending on how long i've been there) i'd rather spend that £2-5 on petrol, and drive further to a place where i can get value for money

+1 the last poster. Plus city centres seem to have become saturated with agressive foreign big issue sellers and beggars in recent years. Apart from the odd charity type, supermarkets and privately owned shopping complexes are relatively free of everyone and his dog demanding money off you.

An unofficial boycott might be just what they need. If people just keep showing up and handing over their cash no matter how ludicrous the prices or how unpleasant the environment, where is the incentive for change?

An unofficial boycott might be just what they need. If people just keep showing up and handing over their cash no matter how ludicrous the prices or how unpleasant the environment, where is the incentive for change?

I'll keep trying to use my town centre, you keep going to out of town supermarkets.

I'll keep trying to use my town centre, you keep going to out of town supermarkets.

I do my weekly shop by cycling to a supermarket in the middle of my nearest town centre. As I'm already in town and not paying parking charges I could very easily hang around and use other shops/pubs/cafes/the cinema, but the place is dirty and depressing and cinema tickets are £11 for an adult, so I just buy food there and spend my leisure time and money elsewhere.

My local councils response was to earmark 6 free parking spots (from a total of about 140), as short stay 30 minutes maximum. I don't think their budgets can allow for a dose of reality..............yet. As a matter of interest, i was once the designated driver for a works night out on the same high street. Found to my surprise the main carpark had a fee structure operating 24/7.

Yes they had a fee structure like this in Maidstone....machine not lit so you could not see the fee structure....result numerous ticket for the traffic taliban...(mine was reversed on appeal when I proved the sign could not be read...

Yeah, in a lot of towns it's actually CHEAPER to take a taxi now.

Tesco deliver my food and everything else get bought online.

Have you actually BEEN into a town center lately? A depressing and intimidating place.

Parking problems, rude staff, chuggers, aggressive begging and a constant (justified) fear of crime.

Excluding those serving you, few people you see there will have a job, and in many towns few will speak English.

My final reason for travelling into town - an eye test - can now be done at Asda.

My word - where do you live? It sounds like hell.

Fortunately, my local town is really pleasant. Well worth the bike ride or bus fare in.

I'll keep supporting mine.

It's simply an infinitely more pleasant environment to spend time than traipsing out to a soulless car park wasteland and then trudging around a fluorescent lit supermarket surrounded by the masses who'd put saving £1 over having a life.

Actually, I'm not sure people actually save anything with their 15mile e/w drive to the out of town places. The fuel consumed is greater than the parking space rental (not even considering that most people are within walking/cycling range of town centres). And it's not as if supermarkets are even cheap compared to markets and greengrocer's in town.

That said, if I feel like a supermarket run, I have a big Tesco bang in the town centre with an Aldi just along the road.

I do my weekly shop by cycling to a supermarket in the middle of my nearest town centre. As I'm already in town and not paying parking charges I could very easily hang around and use other shops/pubs/cafes/the cinema, but the place is dirty and depressing and cinema tickets are £11 for an adult, so I just buy food there and spend my leisure time and money elsewhere.

in my 30 odd years, every* strike I've seen has ended in the strikers eventually losing

what they were striking about. I don't choose to strike/boycott anything unless I am absolutely sure I could do without it. I certainly wouldn't anticipate that my abstinence will make any product/service/attraction change in a way I will find more appealing. If there is any shred of appeal in town centres people must use it lest they lose it. I dread to think what it'll be like with only supermarkets and online to shop from. If that means i must pay a premium then so be it.

This is even to the extent of defunct business models. They will be gone one day, no harm in being with them till the bitter end. I happen to like visit my town centre and other local ones.

*gross generalisation but you get the idea.

I have been working on my campervan.

Nearly everytime I needed something, I had to drive miles only to find it out of stock etc.

After a week or so of this, and a huge unproductive mileage, I have bought everything on line.

I soon got used to thinking ahead and ordering in plenty of time.

For my other needs, I either use the local supermarket (1 mile away) or drive 4 miles to a Tesco Hypermarket.

The only time I go to town is for shoes because I need good quality shoes and must physically try them on, but that is only a product of having foot problems. For clothes etc. Tesco is fine.

Swansea Town Centre is not too bad re chavs, I have never met a chugger, the buskers can be quite good. It is just that the place is dirty and run down.

I remember it after Herman Goring performed some alterations, today, it is hardly any better.

At least Goring provided plenty of free parking space!

The buildings need paint, the ridiculous parking charges need to be heavily cut.

I refuse to pay to park, simple as that.

Obviously a lot of other people do too.

But, the idiots who run City Centres cannot see that.

Swansea has squandered huge amounts of tax pounds on its new bus lane system.

Problem is, people still don't come.

In general, buses are used either by pensioners (who do not pay) or people who cannot afford cars.

Neither group have the high spending power needed to revitalise the town centre.

I refuse to pay to park, simple as that.

So what do you do when you go to successful cities where land is far to expensive to be set aside for open air storage? Get the bus? Or just miss out and head to a retail park and have lunch at Maccy D's instead?

I occasionally pop into cardiff centre , but by train ..... as its £18 to park all day in some places ....... most of my big shopping is Amazon or around the periphery up and down the M4 ....Sarn for clothes and shoes ... Walmart ASDA at Coryton for everything else ......

Greedy local councils are the main cause of death of the small valley towns .....It they made the first two hours free in parking ...all the businesses would see a jump in turnover , total value more than the car parks rake in ......

I occasionally pop into cardiff centre , but by train ..... as its £18 to park all day in some places ....... most of my big shopping is Amazon or around the periphery up and down the M4 ....Sarn for clothes and shoes ... Walmart ASDA at Coryton for everything else ......

Greedy local councils are the main cause of death of the small valley towns .....It they made the first two hours free in parking ...all the businesses would see a jump in turnover , total value more than the car parks rake in ......

So make the shops pay for their benefit. Actually, it's a free market. Nothing stopping them buying the council car park and making it free.

My local town has recently embarked on a pavement widening and semi-pedestrianisation effort along a row of mostly struggling local retailers, cheap shops and take aways. It used to be my location of choice for take aways as you could park on one side of the road (1h restriction in the day, ending at 6pm) and just pop in and get your stuff.

When complete, it looks like there will now not be any parking for casual shopping and you have the choice of using a private car park or a council one both 5 mins walk from here. Congratulations to the council, another microeconomy cocked up.

There's no traffic issues ever here, never have been as it's a dead zone post-industrial northern town with no jobs or prospects. This is council jobs for the boys to keep them in work.

I am assuming when complete I will move my custom to the take away round the corner where I can park outside until they bork that road up as well (probably next year's project for the pointy shoed urban regeneration twats).

So make the shops pay for their benefit. Actually, it's a free market. Nothing stopping them buying the council car park and making it free.

except the council won't sell it except for an obscene. You see, having acquired the land when it was cheap, the council car parks will be worth a large fortune.