House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Venger

The One Show - April 2013

Declan Curry launches a new series following various businesses over the year, which are trying to make a profit in times of financial hardship. In this edition, it's the turn of a family-run theme park in Cleethorpes.

Was helping prepare dinner and not paying close attention to the TV when it was broadcast this evening; and especially because it was a feature with Declan Curry.

Some of the featured business caught my attention though, so I've been waiting for the iPlayer version to come out to re-watch it (only just become available a few moments ago.)

Running costs just under £2m per year. Been subsidising the business, which her Dad founded, out of their own personal savings. And reinvesting in new high-cost attractions.

Begins at 02:30 into the iPlayer. (Can only find High-Definition version.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rz1ft/hd/The_One_Show_15_04_2013/

Was helping prepare dinner and not paying close attention to the TV when it was broadcast this evening; and especially because it was a feature with Declan Curry.

Some of the featured business caught my attention though, so I've been waiting for the iPlayer version to come out to re-watch it (only just become available a few moments ago.)

Running costs just under £2m per year. Been subsidising the business, which her Dad founded, out of their own personal savings. And reinvesting in new high-cost attractions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rz1ft/hd/The_One_Show_15_04_2013/

Just another evil boss making people working for minimum wages while she skims the profit and puts it in a tax haven. :)

Some people have no idea how hard it can be running a business, good luck to her

Small business is great when the start-up cost is nil.

IT is the best example of it. Little formal training and a huge upside. The cost and effort involved in getting MSCE certification makes taking computer science courses at universities seem utterly mad and counter-productive.

All your money and the risk is exclusive to the clients property. Very good gig.

At the most you pay for a decent computer and perhaps a few software licences if you are so inclined.

However, IT is also like Logan's run. Once you are over 30 you can pretty much forget about it getting your foot in the door.

I'm an engineer, and the opposite is mostly true in the energy industry.

Young engineers and their lack of good training at most UK universities generally create a massive liability for employers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...how_15_04_2013/

I saw the whole piece.

The lady said she needs to improve her footfall by 25,000 at least over the season just to break even. Her and her husband ploughed in £300,000 in the last year or so keeping it afloat.

The problems she will have are two fold.

1. Hers is very much a seasonable business which opens in the warmer weather. She didn't open until Good Friday and then to pitiful visitor numbers. But then we all know the weather over the last Easter was some of the worst on record. The weather needs to be good for her visitor numbers to increase.

2. We are in the middle of the deepest recession to hit this Country for years. Put simply people have less spending power than they once did and when they start to cut back it is discretionary spends like this which come first.

One glimmer of hope she might have is that more people will now be priced out of travelling abroad with the higher airline taxes and the like. The current squeeze on discretionary spending already in place and the more to come means this will only get worse. Consequently more may prefer to stay at home and have a weekend by the seaside which could in fact benefit her.

I wouldn't want to be in Thomas Cook's or Thompsons shoes right now.

This woman is about to find out what "structural change" means for the economy, and it won't be pretty. How many children in North East Lincolnshire rely on government spending for their discretionary spending? The UK needs to invest in exportable manufacturing and services, not more consumerist nonsense funded by mortgage debt and government borrowing.

I saw the whole piece.

The lady said she needs to improve her footfall by 25,000 at least over the season just to break even. Her and her husband ploughed in £300,000 in the last year or so keeping it afloat.

+1 to all that. Thanks for calculating how much they'd been subsidising it for last year (out of their personal savings). The footfall figures went a bit too fast for me first time around, but it sounded like it must have been £100K+ they'd personally put in.

I don't know anything really about Cleethorpes, but if I'd taken over such a family business, I'd be looking at the family's gains throughout the years from when the business was established it in 1992, and if owning the entire site, asking whether it can more value retrofitted to some other use; before ploughing back in so much of personal savings from profits in the good years. Eg housing or nursing home, on part of the site, if Cleethorpes isn't in long-term decline. Or even whether better to mothball it and walk away for the moment.

Also I wonder where the £500K (from memory of what was said on the show) came from for the new attraction/building they were readying. I hope it's not from political pressure 'make them lend' on the banks via Funding For Lending. Don't want to be too critical though; maybe they will successfully turn it around with their bravery, helped by other unwinding forces such as what you say about fewer people travelling abroad - looking towards UK attractions for family days out with the kids.

I had HPC needle's post from three months ago in the regional forum, ringing in my mind when I was watching that One Show piece. I know it's going on; even seen examples whether people aren't reducing their spending or seriously attempting to downsize whilst getting squeezed from falling house prices and pressures on their businesses.

Just read through the thread from end of last year onwards. Noticed a lot of despondency with regard to prices not falling. Cant say too much here but I am fairly convinced that prices will continue to fall especially in the more upmarket areas. These people are heavily invested in property commercial and residential and are basically broke. From what I understand their businesses have been savaged over the past 4-5 years - as you'd expect, I suppose. However, believing the recession was a 'normal' recession (it isnt) they drew down all their cash (pensions, savings, bonds) and pumped it into their companies to keep them afloat in the interim. Unfortunately the 'interim' has turned into the long term and now, devoid of liquidity, they are either closing their businesses or desperately trying to sell commercial property.

Just another evil boss making people working for minimum wages while she skims the profit and puts it in a tax haven. :)

Some people have no idea how hard it can be running a business, good luck to her

A capitalist like thatcher! Boo! Taking risks with their own money and providing employment to the local community! Tory scum! Out out out!