House Price Crash Forum
JustAnotherProle

Young Trapped By High House Prices

Taken from the Metro front page Trapped in the nest: House prices force young to be carers

Not sure if anyone has seen this or posted it yet, nice front page on the Metro to cheer you all into the day!

A generation of young adults living with their parents because of rising house prices may end up trapped there forever as carers.

Hundreds of thousands of 20 to 34-year-olds will spend so long scraping together a deposit that their parents will then be too frail to leave on their own.

Many carers will have to give up their careers as well as abandoning their hopes of ever having a home of their own, the research shows.

Nikki Flanders, from O2 Health, which carried out the research, said: ‘Just as younger people become able to buy for the first time, they may be called upon to look after their parents – especially as social care budgets are cut.’

Up to 3million young people are living with their parents as they have to save for an average of ten years to raise a deposit. In London, the figure rises to 24 years.

The media can't make up its mind can it, house prices are good, no they are bad...look at the damage it causes. I wonder if this is the government plan to force the young to never have lives other than caring for elderly relatives because all the money has been given to the bankers! I think this is is not going to end well for the political elite desperate to keep things just as they are, the young generation just wont vote for their own slavery! :rolleyes:

Edited by JustAnotherProle

Its not just that, the problem is a lot of boomers only have one child. Both my parents had brothers and sisters, who would generally share looking after my grandparents. I, like most people of my age I know who are children of boomers, am an only child, so will have the sole responsibility of looking after both parents.

More and more people of all ages are looking after relatives including elderly relatives. It's not just younger people but if they have to care for their parents/relatives when young it stands to reason it'll likely have a more damaging effect on their futures.

Crazy house prices feeds through on everything.

Edited by billybong

More and more people of all ages are looking after relatives including elderly relatives. It's not just younger people.

I think the point is that the high costs of housing is not giving younger people a chance to break away from the parents and have a family,space and lives of their own,even thought they are likely to help care for elderly parents later on anyway.

edit:sorry billy , I replied to your original unedited post. :huh:

Its not just that, the problem is a lot of boomers only have one child. Both my parents had brothers and sisters, who would generally share looking after my grandparents. I, like most people of my age I know who are children of boomers, am an only child, so will have the sole responsibility of looking after both parents.

I've had several for this reason. Share the workload out amongst them if needed.

I think the point is that the high costs of housing is not giving younger people a chance to break away from the parents and have a family,space and lives of their own,even thought they are likely to help care for elderly parents later on anyway.

edit:sorry billy , I replied to your original unedited post. :huh:

No problem - I wanted to add that the young did have particular problems as you say but it also has an effect on a lot of older people as well.

Then

Up to 3million young people are living with their parents as they have to save for an average of ten years to raise a deposit. In London, the figure rises to 24 years.

So in London "young" people will be getting on for 50 and yet the government seems to be going out of its way to make things worse for them.

Edited by billybong

They are going to kick start a false market again...

By bringing about, in some form or another,.........

PREDATORY LIAR LOANS.

THE method secret weapon for pumping up false prices - and keeping the fraudulently inflated balloon up in the air.... :rolleyes:

Edited by eric pebble

PREDATORY LIAR LOANS.

THE method secret weapon for pumping up false prices - and keeping the fraudulently inflated balloon up in the air.... :rolleyes:

In some form or another? It's Help to Buy. Government sponsored liar loans enabling people to buy what they cannot afford under their own steam. That's what that article is really about. Justifying the scheme by saying young people cannot save for deposits.... cue government.

So in London "young" people will be getting on for 50 and yet the government seems to be going out of its way to make things worse for them.

Yes, I had to read that twice to check it wasn't an error, the market is so broken and against the average earning young person and clearly corrupted by vested interests as these figures demonstrate. I find it shocking that not one main party politician is slightly interested! I will remember that the next time a riot ensues and the MSM start vilifying the youth, the real criminals are in government and banking...

Many MPs are obsessed with BTL, so why should they care and anyway there is no problem? They get second homes from the taxpayer (bought previously rented now) and make money renting properties to each other .... on expenses. They do not see any problem.

absolutely spot on. this is the real scandal in housing, the vested interest of our so-called "honourable members of parliament" in keeping house prices and rents high so they can earn money for themselves.

In London a whole generation of young working Londoners are now stuck living in the parents home, where once they would be buying their own first small converted or purpose built self contained flat.....most of this style of property has been snapped up by the buy to let brigade with borrowed IO money, now charging very high rents, they bought during the time the Labour government were in control....many homes have been split into HMO and almost no affordable housing for working Londoners has been built since.......stupid situation, greedy rent seekers creating big problems that the Labour government actively encouraged. ;)

A generation of young adults living with their parents because of rising house prices may end up trapped there forever as carers.

Hundreds of thousands of 20 to 34-year-olds will spend so long scraping together a deposit that their parents will then be too frail to leave on their own.

If the boomers think their children are going to stick around and be their skivies, they are in for one hell of a shock.

You'll have that responsibility if they decide to foist it on you and you agree to accept it.

Alternative if you say "since you always said you were smarter than me and a financial genius because you own a nice house I could never afford, you can afford to hire yourself a f*cking nurse".

There are going to be a lot of smug boomers feeling pleased with themselves right up until the moment their children abandon them, smother them with a pillow or hide their medication.

Anyone who thinks an entire generation that had no real chance of life will agree to play nursemaid for someone who thinks they are better than them has another thought coming, you mark my words.

Edited by RufflesTheGuineaPig

PREDATORY LIAR LOANS.

You really should have brought this to our attention a while back !!!

:P

Thinks what's it's like in China. I've read predictions that the one-child policy is going to be scrapped for this reason. Sometimes there's no way out, is there?

This is why they love immigration, convert the properties to HMO and ensure no more building, job done. HMO is just a step on from converting Victorian and Edwardian family homes into flats so they can house two or three families and generate massive rental income. The young don't vote so the government doesn't care. The young are happy to pay many times more for the same property and soon a leading consultant heart surgeon will only be able to afford the same property as a shop worker who bought in the 60s. (nothing wrong with either job and years of study normally justifies a higher salary and better standard of living)

That was the plan, but it didn`t work, when a country starts to go Greek, the immigrants, well, go.

No problem - I wanted to add that the young did have particular problems as you say but it also has an effect on a lot of older people as well.

Then

How so? They are starting on the welfare cuts aren`t they? Landlords will be the main casualties IMO.

I would be quite keen to live in multiple generation council housing - but it does not exist. Instead I have to travel a fair bit to care for grandparents, and their 'property value' will amount to nothing and be shared out amongst me and my cousins property owning parents. I reckon they will die before they sell their house. If I had my own family, or could afford to start one, I would, and my main concern would be them, not my elderly relatives, although I would still set time aside to care for them. I'm kind of waiting for them to peg it, before I go back to work properly and start concentrating fully on building a future for sprogs of my own.

When it comes to my parents, I will have my mother move into my house/very nearby so that she can provide childcare, and in turn I can care for her without having to faff about travelling to do so. My father I will encourage to move nearby to me and any future family of mine, but I doubt he will, he would not be welcome to live with me and any potential family, but if nearby I would provide care for him. Personally I see him emigrating.

When it comes to housing, my perfect house would be multiple stories, well proportioned, capable of housing multiple family units, with a large garden. Essentially a mini family tower block. When the elderly die, the generations can move down a floor, and the next can be born in the first place.

This thread is full of heretics :angry:

Why don't you worship at the Temple of UK House Prices?

5VpAFVWq.gif

The media, bankers, politicians, and the majority of Britons do!!!!

Seriously, the housing market in this country is desperately immoral and crippling a generation ...... but what do the mainstream media, politicians and bankers blame??

"MORTGAGE AFFORDABILITY"

Mendacious arseholes ... the lot of them

The banks effectively own this country ... and they call the shots. Until these parasites are controlled then the situation will continue :(

Edited by DebtFree2011

My elderly parent caring strategy is to get them a live-in full time carer (in their 5-bed house its not problem for space) who will live on benefits and be given the rent they pay back cash in hand as "wages".

How so? They are starting on the welfare cuts aren`t they? Landlords will be the main casualties IMO.

By implementing policies that end up increasing London house prices in general.

For one who has recently been that Carer, and sadly no longer needs worry about "child turning against parent", i would say the times i spent on this were some of the proudest of my life. To look after someone who is important personally is a privilege far beyond any monetary value.

However, those who dedicate their lives to you are entitled to a return when needed. Why else would you bring up a child and invest so much of your life in them? The old teach the very young and the middle aged then youth. Thus has been society since records began, and a major reason reason we are top of the food chain.

For those of you who encourage the "boomer bashing", just be very very careful of the seeds you sow. It won't be long before the weight of numbers are against you given the present primary school demand.

By implementing policies that end up increasing London house prices in general.

What policies? The homewhatever MK 6 is definately a false flag IMO. The banks want a crash in ordinary property so that they can lend, London prime does not connect with the market for ordinary people, normal London will suffer as jobs and HB disappear.