House Price Crash Forum
phead

Another Grand Designs Up For Sale

I wonder have much it cost be buy/convert, anyone see the programme?

Also for 6.5m I would want some ground space, does not seem to be any at all!

The very open living room on the first floor is very close to a pathway, and there appears to be a road just to the right of the building (for access to garages in the flats opposite).

I remember watching the programme but I can't remember what the costs were - doubt is was anywhere near 6.5M though. One thing I remember is that they only own the footprint of the building and none of the adjacent land. They had to get permission to use the land beside it for the construction.

Remember seeing that program.

Can't remember how much it cost them but it was a fortune. And good luck to them... turned a decrepit tower into something pretty jaw dropping...

Problem for them is i doubt anyone with £5m+ to spare wants to live in that area...

I saw this episode. The main money guy of the couple nearly went bust at various stages trying to fund the project. He had to liquidate all his assets in a hurry and then some.

Guess what they were?

A load of BTLs. He was a property developer.

Yes, seem to remember they bought the tower for like 3 or 400k and said they wanted to do it for 750k or something but ended up implying they had a mortgage over 1 million at the end but kind of didnt say. Said they had to sell some of their other properties or something...

Remember at the end they were like, but its so worth it for the best view in london...blah etc......

Looked good, but persoanlly, too tall, not enough space outside (although did have a garge) too close to the modern rubbish around it.

It;s not often I say this, but that's pretty cool. I think I'd buy it if I had £6.5M spare. maybe offer them 5 for it.

So do I; in this market would hope to see someone chancing a lower offer. Not going to appeal to that wide a buying audience, but quite a lot to like. 9 floors, 5 bedrooms, a lift, all that space + garage; and the original structure which probably very well built and able to withstand some future general London flooding.

It's much better than the last water-tower conversion I saw for sale, somewhere near Leek. 157 steps up to living areas. Site of a former 'hospital', somewhere near Leek.

http://www.dailymail...amily-home.html

Owner came to market in 2009 asking £750,000. Near Leek remember. Not sure if they could have achieved that price in London imo, for what it is, and the downsides. http://www.rightmove...y-27246653.html

Asking price in the zoopla archived 2011 particulars/room-photos dropped down quite a bit on that to 'offers over £399,950' with the Express Estate Agency. No hints on public house price sites that it ever sold. DM's 2009 story said he owned that chapel behind as well, and was entering it into auction at £240,000. Explorer forum of 2010 reported the Chapel empty and derelict.

What was the point of constructing that nice new building and then keeping that monstrosity of tower? :blink::blink:

The view from the top of the tower is the reason for the monstrosity. It has a 360 view across london.

I remember watching the programme but I can't remember what the costs were - doubt is was anywhere near 6.5M though. One thing I remember is that they only own the footprint of the building and none of the adjacent land. They had to get permission to use the land beside it for the construction.

For that reason I wouldn't even consider it. I've rented flats but I spend far more time indoors because going out means going out of the front door and you have to prepare for it. In a house if it's sunny you pop out into the garden to have a cup of tea.