House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Crossrail - Only 80% Of Jobs Go To Uk Workers In £15Bn Project So Far

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4887736/Fury-as-foreigners-get-15-jobs-at-rail-link-as-Brits-miss-out.html

A FIFTH of the jobs on a £15billion rail project tipped to revive the UK’s shattered economy have been handed to FOREIGNERS.

The Crossrail scheme to build a new line under London was hailed as a massive boost for employment at its 2009 launch.

Yet despite Britain’s jobless rising to 2.5million, figures released to The Sun reveal that 93 of the 507 employees so far taken on by Crossrail are not UK nationals.

Interesting that the Sun is running with this, although no in depth analysis saying whether the jobs have gone to none nationals as we lack the skill base or not. Historically wasn't the UK rail network largely built by Irish immigrants?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4887736/Fury-as-foreigners-get-15-jobs-at-rail-link-as-Brits-miss-out.html

Interesting that the Sun is running with this, although no in depth analysis saying whether the jobs have gone to none nationals as we lack the skill base or not. Historically wasn't the UK rail network largely built by Irish immigrants?

..and the USA ? .....17.30 in

What is a UK worker? I bet most of those classed as UK workers have no real British ancestry either - a glance down Oxford St in London tells the rest of the story.

Actually 80% sounds very good to me, I would have thought that far less than 50% would be taken by UK workers, give that we are talking about hard manual labour... :rolleyes:

a glance down Oxford St in London tells the rest of the story.

Huh? As if Oxford St or even London in general has ever been representative of the UK... :rolleyes:

Really don't understand this story.

80% seems very good to me. But they are only talking about 500 people so they must mean directly employed by crossrail Ltd. Not the thousands employed by contractors on the actual building sites.

In my experience that's 80% Irish. At least on the night shift at Tottenham Court Road (judging from those getting a midnight macca d's)

glance down Oxford St in London tells the rest of the story.

God forbid London attracts tourists for shopping... These bloody foreigners... Stealing our overpriced goods in return for wodges of cash...

God forbid London attracts tourists for shopping... These bloody foreigners... Stealing our overpriced goods in return for wodges of cash...

Not all of them are tourists. If only they were!

The trains are being built by the Japanese aren't they? Are the 20% of jobs there?

Would not surprise me if the politicians wanted a nice big number of jobs to announce when the project got the go ahead - but that they failed to mention that lots of jobs will be with the Japanese train maker? Hitachi isn't it?

The trains are being built by the Japanese aren't they? Are the 20% of jobs there?

Would not surprise me if the politicians wanted a nice big number of jobs to announce when the project got the go ahead - but that they failed to mention that lots of jobs will be with the Japanese train maker? Hitachi isn't it?

Think you're confusing Crossrail with the Intercity Express Programme.

The Crossrail contract hasn't been decided yet.

I'm intrigued who you want it to go to. A mythical British Leyland Trains? Or one of the Canadian/French/German/Japanese companies that actually exist?

if its a large infrastructure project involving trains and the jobs are going to the japanese then id be happy about that.

in fact id be happy if they could increase it to about 99%. perhaps we could ask them to run the trains too.

in japan the average bullet train departs within 6 seconds of the scheduled time. if its late by more than 5 minutes, you receive a free ride, an apology from the conductor and a delay certificate to take to your employer explaining why you were late.

if a train is late by more than an hour, the incident can sometimes reach the newspapers.

Edited by mfp123

Crossrail - Only 80% Of Jobs Go To Uk Workers In £15Bn Project So Far

Shocking, I can dig a hole better than any Foreigner but would expect a good rate of pay. ;)

The Sun preparing the ground for Ukip. Bloody foreigners! Vote Ukip and start ethnic cleansing.

A bit over the top. :rolleyes:

Think you're confusing Crossrail with the Intercity Express Programme.

The Crossrail contract hasn't been decided yet.

I'm intrigued who you want it to go to. A mythical British Leyland Trains? Or one of the Canadian/French/German/Japanese companies that actually exist?

I have no view on it and don't know how or why you think I do from what I wrote. I was merely pointing out a possible explanation for the missing 20%.

But now you have asked, and now I think about it, I think it would make sense for it to go to a UK firm owned, run and staffed by skilled UK engineers who make the world's best trains. Sadly, they do not exist.

Out of Africa.....

Homo Erectus?

Ruddy Homo Erectus - they sat around for 2 million years doing nothing much other than hunting, killing, cannibalism and suddenly you hear nothing from them for half a million years or so.

Next thing you know they are building Crossrail. Incredible!

Considering Crossrail is being built in London - where half the population was born abroad - I am amazed its as high as 80%. I expect the 80% probably includes people with a UK address but that doesn't necessarily make them Brits!

Considering Crossrail is being built in London - where half the population was born abroad - I am amazed its as high as 80%. I expect the 80% probably includes people with a UK address but that doesn't necessarily make them Brits!

Reminds me of the fuss about the construction of the Pembroke power station. There were protests about the jobs not going to "British workers". The quotations from UK government and the employers all said, very carefully, that a majority of the workers were "UK residents". Not, you will note, UK citiizens.

Well, they'd have to be UK residents, wouldn't they? Bit of a beggar bussing in workers from continental Europe by 8 a.m. every morning.